My First Sintra Kit - Kingsguard Armor

FuzzyDrawings

Hello! I decided to make a Work in Progress thread to help keep me motivated. This is only my second cosplay-making experience, my first was an armored Night's Watch outfit, but that was mostly me modifying and aging premade parts, so THIS will be my first time making everything myself (hold me, I'm scared!)

I'm an artist by trade, so I've been spending a lot of time trying to sketch out the armor to "understand it" - not just what pieces look like, but how they fit together and to the person wearing it (I'm much shorter than Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, so trying to make a 1:1 replica wouldn't work - gotta make it look good on me!). With that in mind, I'm using the below study I made to help figure out the appropriate sizes for the armor pieces.

ratioStudy_zps73a7acef.jpg

Next, I started sketching out templates for the armor and all the crazy designs. Here's an example of what I'm working on tonight:

peascod_3_zpsac1f6347.jpg

I'll be making the armor using sintra PVC sheets and bondo. Having never used either before, I decided it'd be best to do some test runs, especially when it comes to carving the designs. I decided to work on the greaves for this test, since being leg armor, they'll not only be closely observed less, but likely more damaged/worn out from walking, kicked up rocks, etc. They didn't come out too poorly.

photo1_zps1230f02d.jpg

One thing I've been scratching my head over is the painting process. I've looked at nearly every faux metal/armor tutorial I could find and while the craftsmanship is all wonderful, the paint job is never quite what I'm looking for.

The actual kingsguard armor in particular is quite interesting - the wear and tear, texture, glossiness, and colors are quite responsive to the light - in the show, you see the armor in the right light and it's quite gold and gleaming, yet if the wearer turns just right, the brownish/red hues of age and the texture of ancient patina seems to creep across the gold...

Basically, I want my armor to look as convincing as possible (who doesn't), like it was once beautiful armor that's been worn and abused by swords, mud, and mad kings' fire for generations. A friend of mine is a painter, so I've spent the last week experimenting with him using different techniques, paints and materials. I've still got more experimenting to do (haven't even touched any sealers yet), but I think I'm getting close...

This is all the same test piece, just angled at the light differently. You can kind see how the gold "appears and disappears". The overall color is too dark, and the actual armor won't be this dramatically aged, but as a proof of concept, I think it's getting there.

paint_test_zps04f3b60f.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Hope you enjoy. If anyone has any tips on anything from paint to basic construction, I'd love to hear them! :)

Last edited:
Ahhh...you have discovered the true key to making a costume look, not good, but GREAT! That simple key is weathering! The age, the dirt, the damage. Your Night's Watch armor has captured it perfectly!

You will go far Grasshopper.

I will watch with interest.

Thanks everyone! There's an incredible amount of talent here, so it means a lot that you all like my work! :)

Amazing work! I wish I could afford sintra.

Thanks! Actually, it's quite cheap on amazon! I got 6 large sheets (nearly 3'x5') of varying thickness for under $50. I'm not sure if there's any real difference between it and the more expensive versions, but I've stress tested this cheaper kind (molded, vaccum formed, sanded, carved, glued, and painted) and it seems to do exactly what the pricier kind does. Check here: Amazon.com: sintra pvc

Ok, I couldn't put it off any longer - I had to deal with that crazy design at the top of the cuirass:

chestandshoulders_zpsc6733e91.jpg

It actually wasn't too painful! My plan is to send a copy of the design off to have a stencil made. That'll make carving/painting it onto the sintra MUCH easier. For now, I've added it to my cuirass template:

peascod_4_zps7b58a5ed.jpg

The cuirass template is almost done - there's only a few small designs on the bottom of the armor that I need to work out, as well as mark where the bolts go and straps go. This is drawn for my body dimensions, so it's just a matter of projecting it at the correct size onto sintra boards and tracing everything on top. I've already done measurements and test fittings with craft foam using the projection method, so I'm not expecting too many surprises (but will hopefully be prepared if they DO show up).If all goes according to plan, I'll be starting actual construction on this part over the weekend!

Wow, incredible job on tracing out that pattern. If I were to make one little nitpick, it would be that it appears to sit very slightly lower on the cuirass--almost touching the little ridge thing and farther down from the neckline.

Wow, incredible job on tracing out that pattern.

Thanks! I ended up only tracing one side and then spent a while tweaking and reshaping it in Photoshop to accommodate the curvature of the cuirass in the original image. Once that was good, I just mirrored it for the complete design. I have a high quality version I and sent off to a stencil-making company. I'm waiting to hear back for their price quote.

If I were to make one little nitpick, it would be that it appears to sit very slightly lower on the cuirass--almost touching the little ridge thing and farther down from the neckline.

By all means, please nitpick! When you're staring at a project for too long, it's quick easy to miss details, so comments from fresh eyes are always a welcomed thing! :)

In this case, you're absolutely right. It does need to come down in the image. The exact amount remains to be seen - I haven't worked out how thick the ridged areas will be (what do you think that it is, little less than a 1/4"?). The final thickness of those raised "outlines" will most likely force me to tweak the size of the details so that everything fits correctly. This isn't a major task though; just part of the final tweaks!

I'll be posting my final template tonight, hopefully - I'd greatly appreciate any areas for improvements/corrections fresh eyes might catch! :)

Thank you Mathew!

A little update: Unfortunately, work and other priorities came up this weekend, so I wasn't able to work on this costume much at all. I HAVE, however completed the template for the front of the cuirass (the back has the same overall shape, but none of the design detail). Here it is:

game_of_thrones___kingsguard_armor___chest_armor_by_fuzzydrawings-d78t3nl.jpg

Very cool! But, you will quickly find that the backplate has a completely different shape and layout than the front. Check out some medieval armor backplates and you will see they are quite unique.

Hmmm...I wonder if some GoogleFu will turn up King's Guard back plate photos?

Very cool! But, you will quickly find that the backplate has a completely different shape and layout than the front. Check out some medieval armor backplates and you will see they are quite unique.

Hmmm...I wonder if some GoogleFu will turn up King's Guard back plate photos?

Already a step ahead of you! ;)

The Kingsguard breastplate is based on the peascod-style cuirass of the 1500's. The back was typically very similar in shape; the biggest difference being that the back had curves molded into it to allow some movement of the shoulder blades - I guess the GoT team didn't feel they needed to waste the time with that part. I'll be going for the historical detail in that regard if only for the sake of comfort. Here's my back template based on a screenshot I took from an episode:

back_armor_zps17459bec.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, I'm familiar with that guy's outfit! I forget his name, but his outfit is lovely.

Cool, I didn't think you would miss a detail like that but just wanted to double-check. :thumbsup

I have made a few steel suits ( I fought with the SCA...many moons ago) and I can say the extra room for your shoulder blades is well worth the effort. The cloak will hide it and you body will thank you! :lol

Ha, well I appreciate you looking out! :)

My hope is to eventually make a steel suit of armor...my grandfather was a steel worker back in the day, but I was far too young to use his knowledge to my advantage.

That's awesome that you were in the SCA. I've actually been studying the german school of long sword fighting at a fencing school near me for a while now. It's a blast!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back