My first screen-used prop, or, "Oh my God, Shaun!"

mbaileyh

I've been a life long film fan, but only got into props in the last few years. I knew I'd want a screen used item. There's watching a film, and then holding a bit of it in your hand, texture, weight and such. I finally had my first, and it couldn't be more special.

100_6644.jpg

100_6645.jpg

100_6647.jpg

I was really thrilled when MirrorD listed his screen used Shaun of the Dead, Shaun Costume in the Junkyard. SOTD took me by storm in 2004, my DAD suggested a zombie movie. In 2007 I was lucky enough to not only meet Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright, and Nick Frost at the 'Hot Fuzz' premier in London. I also got to tour a few of the filming locations, such as Shaun's neighborhood, the flower shop, and the Winchester. Mirror really took pity on a fan and I'm forever grateful.

As you can see the shirt comes from later in the movie, after Shaun and Ed have picked up everyone, until right around Shaun's return to the Winchester to meet everyone.

Beyond just being screen history, it's something I'd been able to relate too for years. In 1990-91 as a kid I got to live in north London with my family (my father taught for a study abroad program), we lived only a few miles from the area the film depicts. My sister's primary school was only a few blocks from Shaun, Ed, and Pete's humble home.

I hope other film fans find the chance to get their hands on any piece of the movies they love!

Great purchase, terrific costume :thumbsup

I was eyeing this up for ages on Propstore before they sold it, and I was a little too slow when MirrorD decided to part with it too!

Looks great Bailey! All of my SotD props and costumes are my prized possession, and had planned on never letting them go, but sadly bills were adding up.

After talking to you and realizing you are just as huge as a SotD fan as I am, Im glad it went into the hands of someone who will definitely enjoy it. And congrats on it being your first SU costume. :)

Do you want some even better news, mate?

I have a shirt from a scene or two later in the film, and I wore it to meet Simon at a book signing last year.
He told me that he only knows of two more shirts in existence - He has one and "Pete" has the other.

At first I thought he meant Serafinowicz... Until I read "Nerd Do Well", and got to the story about Pegg visiting New Zealand, and being asked by a fairly famous film director who lives there to confirm that the shirt HE had bought was genuine :)

Do you want some even better news, mate?

I have a shirt from a scene or two later in the film, and I wore it to meet Simon at a book signing last year.
He told me that he only knows of two more shirts in existence - He has one and "Pete" has the other.

At first I thought he meant Serafinowicz... Until I read "Nerd Do Well", and got to the story about Pegg visiting New Zealand, and being asked by a fairly famous film director who lives there to confirm that the shirt HE had bought was genuine :)

@Scapey - Thats awesome & congrats. I would love to see some pics.

@Bailey - A little more info on the SU costume you got from me:
Although the shirt was used mostly for the middle of the movie (up until they get to the winchester, it was actually used near the beginning of the film starting right before the garden scene. Then the shirt had more fake blood added to it later on. You can tell because the red ink on the shirt pocket matches up perfectly throughout the film. While I had at one point a clean version and also a very bloody version from the end of the film, the red ink mark was always a hair slightly different. With that being said, your shirt has one of the most screen time out of them all. :D

Last edited:
Scapey- Thats wild info! I obviously knew there would other shirts from the production, I never thought about where they'd end up.

Mirriormin- Thanks for filling in the gaps! I figured it was easier to distress a couple shirts for re-shoots, but they don't always have time/budget for it. The red ink spot had been one of the "tells" I looked at when the shirt first got here.You've basically mentioned my favorite parts of the movie, from his hungover walk the morning of, until the group staggers over to the winchester.

My gf and I are get to go to europe this November, and I'm planning to take her by Weston Park...now I feel like I should do it in costume. :p

I've been a life long film fan, but only got into props in the last few years. I knew I'd want a screen used item. There's watching a film, and then holding a bit of it in your hand, texture, weight and such. I finally had my first, and it couldn't be more special. ...screen used Shaun of the Dead ...Costume ...
I hope other film fans find the chance to get their hands on any piece of the movies they love!
Hello mbaileyh:
:cool Congrats, even though I don't collect costumes. But I do have
some on screen used prop flags with movie blood spots on same.
movieflagsx.jpg

Hello mbaileyh:
:cool Congrats, even though I don't collect costumes. But I do have
some on screen used prop flags with movie blood spots on same.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

Oldflag your collection is great, I really dig the National Treasure 2 and Vantage Point flags. I also collect film patches, though no screen used ones...yet!

I'd kill a TON of zombies to have that costume! Great find mate. If you ever wanna sell it, drop me a line. I have a credit card that I can bust. :lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back