My First Scratch-built & Kit-bashed Spaceship Model - What Now?

Hello Alex,
what a good confident start to your scratch building life, Yes rest assured it will grab hold of you and you will not be able to stop doing it. All the advice the other members have given you is great every one is such a good help and always have the answers to many problems. All I can add is just enjoy every build you do and just keep building I began many years ago with a what I would regard now as a mess after my first attempt at scratch building but you will get better and better with time and making more models. and as the saying goes here is one I made before my latest scratch build. My only problem is that I am a terrible painter of models but I just love building them. Keep building and post as many pics as you can all the guys will help with any problems. I am looking forward to your next build.
take care
regards Barrie ( the old guy )

Attachments

• DSCF2368.jpg
    DSCF2368.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCF2312.jpg
    DSCF2312.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF2334.jpg
    DSCF2334.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 127
Others have already said it but still want to say great scratch job here.

As for where to go from here? I always consider the question "What story do I want to tell." That question can guide a lot of things like access panels, missing or in place, new or old, paint job and weathering, details for judging scale... imagination is no limit.

And since this is your story and looks like it could be a good one, I'm just signing up to watch it unfold. (y):cool:

Looks very sharp! (y)

Experimentation is the key, then when you're done, build another model. :)
This ^. I got this advice a few years ago and it has served me well. Said something along the lines of "Taking a slightly different approach to every build will earn you more uh, discoveries, than doing it the same way every time."

Hi Everyone :)

Inspired by "Adam Savage's One Day Builds: Kit-Bashing and Scratch-Building!" YouTube video, I decided to try some scratch-building & kit-bashing...
  • What do you guys think? (It's my first modelling of any kind, but feel free to be brutally honest! It would be nice to see what more experienced modellers see.)
  • What are my options now? I was expecting (hoping) to feel a little more "satisfied" at this stage of the build... But it's looking a bit uniform and grey... How do I make it look a little more "natural" / give it a little "character" at this point? Would some simple weathering help here? (E.g.: adding a some black and taking it off with a rag?)
  • Can anyone recommend any tutorials, tips, equipment that really upped your scratch-building game?

View attachment 1417378

(Loosely) inspired by the Atlantic Class Heavy Cruiser from the Traveller RPG by Jennell Jaquays (formerly Paul Jaquays)
IMG from (Atlantic class Heavy Cruiser - Traveller)

I'm late to the party, but, that is how I roll...

Looking at the pic before the text, I was thinking "Atlantic-class variant? Cool!"

In the Traveller universe, the Atlantic class are workhorses of the 3rd Imperium (well, them & the Ghalalk/Armored Cruiser) and they've been around long enough to have several significant variant designs - your build could easily be among those. First build? Dang! Beauty!

The awesome Tokyo-based artist MagMagMag has done a number of "re-imaginings" of the olde Supplement 9 Fighting Ships, and the Atlantic he did was crazy-good; I like his color choices, but, it seems to me he goes too far in the hyper detailing areas. Here are his two pics of an Atlantic:

Attachments

• Atlantic CA_IMAGE2.jpg
    Atlantic CA_IMAGE2.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Atlantic CA_IMAGE1.jpg
    Atlantic CA_IMAGE1.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 136

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back