My first prop - sort of... (BTTF)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by mes83, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mes83

mes83 New Member

Hi all

I am quite new to prop making, besides what I did when I was a kid, where my mate and I made some weird looking guns of different broken parts from other guns. :rolleyes

By after having found this great forum, I think I want to take a stab at it. I probably won't be able to do anything quite as fancy as some of you, at least not yet. But I am quite good with Photoshop and Illustrator, so I thought I would start with something simple.

After having rekindled my love for Back to the Future I thought I would do something from them. But what to do, it should be something that hasn't already been done, something that I could be able to display, and something that I would be able to do, at my current skill-level.:lol

The winner is:

Drum-roll .....

DIET PEPSI FREE.
    As seen besides Marty McFly's clock radio.
    [​IMG]

Here is what I have come up with so far.
    This is just a quick mockup and I know some of the things doesn't line up perfectly and the nutrition facts are the wrong way. But let me know what you think.
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to find a good picture of the back of the can - If anybody has this, please feel free to pm me:)

2. Togalai

Togalai New Member

This was the closest thing I found.
    Hope it helps!

3. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not the back, but maybe this helps with your logo design:

[​IMG]

4. mes83

mes83 New Member

Thanks guys
    The last one should help with the P in Pepsi, struggling to get the "feet" of the P just right. Anybody who has an idea of the font used for the "caffeine free" sentence? Don't think the one I have this far is just right.

5. steveo3002

steveo3002 Well-Known Member

wouldnt there be a soda collectors site where they have that exact can ? i bet someone collects em

or maybe email pepsi and ask

6. Vivek

Vivek Master Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In the past I kept visiting so many Pepsi can/bottle collecting sites but didn't come across an exact match. Obviously it is out there, but I haven't come across any for sale on eBay.

mes83, I am glad someone is taking a crack at this. It is quite a unique BTTF item, which rarely gets mentioned.

7. brivette007

brivette007 Active Member

It might be Romana. I cut out the caffiene free from the picture above and entered it in the "what the font" thing at myfonts. It's close, but not as thick. It also looks simialar to Cooper, but the R is different.

8. mes83

mes83 New Member

Yeah, I might have to mix the fonts and give it a little tweak to make it look right.
    I have mailed a couple of can collector sites, but none of them have returned my emails yet.

Vivek, that is exactly why I thought I might give it a go ;-)

9. Mooniteman

Mooniteman Well-Known Member

Wow - that's obscure.

You can gt one on ebay (not to spoil the fun)

-AJ

10. mes83

mes83 New Member

Hi AJ

Haven't been able to find any on Ebay, but maybe you could point me in the right direction.
    But I am just doing this for fun, its been a while since I played with Illustrator, so this is as good a practice as any.

11. Razimus

Razimus New Member

I have a can.... it's in storage, when I find it I'll take a photo and post it here

12. Roland

If it's the correct one, would you possibly sell it? I would like to have one and make a printable vector graphic from it.

13. formula388

formula388 Well-Known Member

Roland, I know this is an old thread, but I have an original CORRECT pepsi free production sheet with printed flat graphics. I also have an original filled can, nearly correct, but missing the NOW! nutrasweet label on it.
    I will take pictures if anyone is interested.

14. mes83

mes83 New Member

Sv: My first prop - sort of... (BTTF)

Yes, I know I haven't been around much lately, but would love a print of the graphics.

15. formula388

Here ya go!!

Back is the same as front... If there is a front or back on a cylinder ;)

[​IMG]

The problem is that the can and colors are glossy....
    Roland PM me about this if you want to talk, I just realized that the production card I have is for 16oz not 12oz, very very disappointing...
    [​IMG]

16. formula388

My display cabinet is also my works in progress shelf:(
    [​IMG]

17. Roland

PM sent! :)

Do you have access to a production card of the Diet Pepsi label from the same year? This is the Pepsi Marty is drinking at the dinner:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  18. formula388

Sorry Roland I dont. PM replied to.

19. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Omg i want them now haha

20. EmmaInCandyland

Do you sell any of these formula388?

21. formula388

I will be collaborating with Roland in making the pepsi free can covers available to people. Aka Roland will be doing the work and Ill be supplying the sources! Lol

22. EmmaInCandyland

23. EmmaInCandyland

Look what I found :p

[​IMG]

DeloreanRob likes this.
  24. formula388

Emma, I grabbed one of those but without the newyork on top... Ill post a pic when i recieve it!

25. Roland

I should mention, that Marty's Pepsi can from the dinner is a 16oz can. The one on Emma's picture is a 12oz can. ;)

26. EmmaInCandyland

Damnit!!!

Where did you find yours formula33? I WANT ONE TOO XD

27. Roland

Okay, I've just checked a few pictures of 1980s Pepsi cans and Marty's dinner Pepsi might be actually a 12oz can, but the can has still a different shape at the top.

28. EmmaInCandyland

Yeah you're right! It has more like a conventional shape (like nowadays soda cans) haha

29. formula388

This is the one I snagged on ebay... Its not perfect but when I saw it I had to buy it for $7 it looks like it wasn't opened but said it is empty.
    [​IMG]
    I paid a lot more for my pepsi free can. But its in better condition and full still.

30. formula388

Looking at the screen grab, it is not the same can, the screen can has the d in diet bending over the top part of the can.

31. mes83

mes83 New Member

Sv: My first prop - sort of... (BTTF)

Let me know if you want the ai file I have been working on. Sadly I don't have much time to work on it at the moment, so very happy that someone else is working on recreating it.

32. EmmaInCandyland

It's funny that some people actually keep these x)

33. Roland

Just watched the movie again. There are actually two cans on the dinner table with the same design but different shapes. Here's the second one, which might be George's or Dave's (looks like your can):

[​IMG]

34. Roland

Here's another screen cap where you can see both cans together. Can anyone explain, why the two cans have different shapes? :confused

[​IMG]

35. oneheckofaride

oneheckofaride New Member

Hello, Any updates on this thread. I'm working on a project and need to get my hands in one of these cans.