My First Pred Head

QCVader

Hello Lair!

Well, I've taken the plunge and I'm working on my first Pred head!

I wanted to go the budget route, but that's not working out very well for me!

Here's what I've done:

Mask: Rubies (Severelly modified)
- Followed the Rubies mod tutorial
- Installed 43 backer rod dreads. Tappered the ends as much as possible with a heat gun.
- Tappered the bottom of the mask in 3 places to narrow down the neck area
- PVC pipe dread beads. Each hand carved to resemble bone. Each bead is hand-painted in acryllic paints.
- Added beads in various places on the dreads to get the "elder pred feel".

Bio: George's P1 Stunt Bio
- Left it "as is" from the mold. I love the original dents and dings
- Base coat is a dark metalic silver (similar to gun metal)
- Used Acryllic paints (metallic silver, dark grey, metallic antique copper, and metallic bronze)
- Bio is held on the mask with industrial strength velcro.

I'm still not finished. I have to install the lasers, add more dread rings, paint said dread rings, touch up the dreads, and add black mesh for the bio lense.

Constructive feedback is always appreciated!

Here's some pics!
300153_1994471863385_1291082172_31644240_851582855_n.jpg

311366_1994477063515_1291082172_31644242_732915162_n.jpg

292066_1994477343522_1291082172_31644243_1404887434_n.jpg

Thanks!

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, I love what you did with this prop, you weathering look good on the right spots but maybe a couple black washes will dirty it up a bit. def looking forward to see what can you do with the rest of body.

Just take your time and keep us posted.

Good luck.

Yeah, i think that look awesome how it is. What thickness of backrod did you use? can't get mine to bend that way, it more rigid. Looking at a different way of making them

Yeah, i think that look awesome how it is. What thickness of backrod did you use? can't get mine to bend that way, it more rigid. Looking at a different way of making them

I use 1" backer rod, except for the 4 "sideburn" dreads towards the front. These are 3/4" .

I also had the same problem with the backer rod not laying flat. Here's what I did....

I took some thin rope and tied it fairly tight around all the dreads. I then adjusted the dreads how I wanted them to lay. I then used my heat gun to soften the dreads. I started at the top, all the way around the mask. Worked my way towards the middle, all the way around and then the ends. However, you have to be very carefull. The heat will melt the backer rods if you stay in one place too long. After I used the heat gun, and adjusted the dreads how I wanted them, I left the rope on for about an hour or so. I then took the rope off and they pretty much stayed in place. I did have to go back and "touch up" a few dreads.

This process worked for me.

Good luck!

Sean

I use 1" backer rod, except for the 4 "sideburn" dreads towards the front. These are 3/4" .

I also had the same problem with the backer rod not laying flat. Here's what I did....

I took some thin rope and tied it fairly tight around all the dreads. I then adjusted the dreads how I wanted them to lay. I then used my heat gun to soften the dreads. I started at the top, all the way around the mask. Worked my way towards the middle, all the way around and then the ends. However, you have to be very carefull. The heat will melt the backer rods if you stay in one place too long. After I used the heat gun, and adjusted the dreads how I wanted them, I left the rope on for about an hour or so. I then took the rope off and they pretty much stayed in place. I did have to go back and "touch up" a few dreads.

This process worked for me.

Good luck!

Sean

Thats a nifty idea, haven't got any pics of how that was done by any chance? Just wanted see how the whole process would work as in from wrapping the rope around the dread to the heating it.

Cheers for your response fella, excellent idea will defiantly look into doing that

top of the line weathering on that piece (y) ....sometimes bios can be "overdone" in that dept...but you nailed that real deep metal look to it

thats a rubbies mas? you could have fooled me.

Wow! Thanks for the compliment. That means a lot.

When I started out on this journey one of my personal goals was to prove that just because IT IS a rubies doesn't mean it has to LOOK like a Rubies.

Thank you all again for the encouragement, advice and compliments. I stand on the shoulders of great guys - like yourselves! :)

BTW, I did take your advice and "dirty" it up some more. Not too much, but enough to make it a tad more dingy....

I'll get some updated pics up soon.

Sean

I think this is my new favorite modified rubies mask bro, keep up the good work bro, yours is coming out way better than mine so far.lol

Thats a nifty idea, haven't got any pics of how that was done by any chance? Just wanted see how the whole process would work as in from wrapping the rope around the dread to the heating it.

Cheers for your response fella, excellent idea will defiantly look into doing that

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back