My first official replica: ANH Obi-Wan Lightsaber (ICONS)

H34d5h1f73r

[Edit: Detailed photo's of lightsaber below]

So here I was, standing in a random nerd shop, when all of a sudden my eye falls on this magnificent Lightsaber. It is the first one for me I have bought after drooling on a lot of threads on authentic replica's on theRPF. The shop owner told me this one comes out of a private collection so I am not the first owner.

I hope you all like it, and maybe share some of your own thoughts on this lightsaber (e.g. if it's really 100% an Icons original etc.)
Or if you know something about Icons please share it with me!
10.000 were planned to be made but only around 2500 left the factory, I have got *No clue whatsoever* what the reason would be for this...

All the paperwork to prove authenticity are included.

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg9.jpeg
8.jpeg

There is two things I find odd in particular: Two "congratulations on your purchase" papers -> One specifically for Obi - Wan and the other for a general Lightsaber I suppose
The plexiglass case (with screws) does not seem original to me after checking images. Maybe one of you can tell me for sure.

The papers are all in mint condition which is stunning to me after all this time. No folded corners at all!
Icons planned on making 10.000 of these just like the Luke and Vader one but they never finished the batch, which gives it a bit of a backstory to me.

As far as the replica itself:
None of the parts are original, no grenade pieces in here but all remade metal parts. It's the way they did it back then, which in my eyes is incredible taking into account they did not have the information Master Replica's had. This is all based on pictures from A New Hope.

Last edited:
Its a really nice piece, but not to be the bearer of bad news, NONE of it is "original" per se'. Icons was an authorized prop replica company back in the 90's and as such recreated famous props most notably from Star Wars.
To my knowledge, all of the pieces were replicas and did not use any parts from an "original" source. For example, the large grip near the top is from a WW2 British rifle grenade in the original. Doubt Icons had a room full of those lying around to be used in their replicas. However, as before, it is a nice piece to have.
If you want to know more about the real world items that were used in some of these props, I'm sure there are many knowledgable people still on this board that can answer your questions. You could also check out this site...............http://www.partsofsw.com

I think he was asking if the case, copy of the Vault, and other papers were 100% authentic to the Icons piece, not that the saber parts were authentic.

Everything there typically came with the saber except that cover. It had a plain clear plexi cover, but yours is a replacement. I’ll have to check if I received both lightsaber instruction sheets.

Thanks for the replies already! I am aware that it is a replica, and Icons used a Lawnmower gear etc. However, to me this piece is special in particular since they never made 10.000 of it
Somehow they stopped after 2500 or so! (edited main post to clarify not original parts)

Yeah i think the plexiglass is a remake too however it fits perfectly so its fine for me.

Thanks for the replies already! I am aware that it is a replica, and Icons used a Lawnmower gear etc. However, to me this piece is special in particular since they never made 10.000 of it
Somehow they stopped after 2500 or so! (edited main post to clarify not original parts)

Yeah i think the plexiglass is a remake too however it fits perfectly so its fine for me.

Not quite, There are no lawnmower gears, no grips, etc. Icons, as a replica company, produced these replicas from plastic, metal, etc. They weren't built from found parts. (we all thought thats what the original was made from back then)

That being said, there's an Icons in the archives. it was used in the visual dictionary since the original prop has gone missing

Not quite, There are no lawnmower gears, no grips, etc. Icons, as a replica company, produced these replicas from plastic, metal, etc. They weren't built from found parts. (we all thought thats what the original was made from back then)

That being said, there's an Icons in the archives. it was used in the visual dictionary since the original prop has gone missing

Thanks for the heads up! One of the reasons to be on this forum is getting all facts right :p

I would drool over the ads for these things when they first came out. Brings back memories. As others have said, no lawnmower gears or motorcycle grips for this one. Everything was custom designed by Icons. The only part based on the real world part would be the clamp. They did a decent job on this given the info that was available at the time.

I think he was asking if the case, copy of the Vault, and other papers were 100% authentic to the Icons piece, not that the saber parts were authentic.

Everything there typically came with the saber except that cover. It had a plain clear plexi cover, but yours is a replacement. I’ll have to check if I received both lightsaber instruction sheets.

Let me know what you find!

had one of these a while ago, nice saber. Depends how much you paid for it though of course!

I paid around 400 USD for it, which I know is a bit high,

However I bought it for the saber, and the fact all the papers are with it in mint condition! This one will stay with me for years to come.

Well, in that case, my bad. I stand corrected. It is a nice find and would look good in anyones collection.

Excellent find with all the papers and plaque to authenticate #487 Obi-Wan lightsaber made by Icons in 1997... well done and a great addition to any collection :)

Chaïm

When these were new, & I was much younger, I saw this lightsaber at San Diego Comic Con. I had no hope of buying it, as I had no money, but all I wanted was to hold it. To my mind, at that time, it WAS the lightsaber that was used on screen, & to be that close to it was an honor. All I wanted to do was just hold it, so I asked if I could just hold it. The guy selling it asked if I was gonna buy it. I asked how much it was. The reply was "If you have to ask, then you can't afford it. Go away."
It was at that moment, with that reply, that I knew I would own better pieces than that one day. & I would NEVER act like that towards anyone who would ask to hold any piece from my collection. & to this day, I love putting in peoples hands any piece from my collection they ask about. & the look of, first shock, that I'm handling over the prop to them, & then awe (like I would've felt had I been able to just hold that ICONS lightsaber so long ago) on their faces, young & old, is sweetness to soul.

When these were new, & I was much younger, I saw this lightsaber at San Diego Comic Con. I had no hope of buying it, as I had no money, but all I wanted was to hold it. To my mind, at that time, it WAS the lightsaber that was used on screen, & to be that close to it was an honor. All I wanted to do was just hold it, so I asked if I could just hold it. The guy selling it asked if I was gonna buy it. I asked how much it was. The reply was "If you have to ask, then you can't afford it. Go away."
It was at that moment, with that reply, that I knew I would own better pieces than that one day. & I would NEVER act like that towards anyone who would ask to hold any piece from my collection. & to this day, I love putting in peoples hands any piece from my collection they ask about. & the look of, first shock, that I'm handling over the prop to them, & then awe (like I would've felt had I been able to just hold that ICONS lightsaber so long ago) on their faces, young & old, is sweetness to soul.

What a nice story. There is some wisdom in that, doubting whether to buy means it isnt meant to be.

Thanks for the comment

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back