My First mask attempt

Ryleyma61

Well, I've started my own first mask.

I'm not going to try and mould it however, I've made a rough clay base over a foam human head, then will fibreglass over that w/ seperate jaw piece so I can attempt mandibles ala Grusderk Masks.

From there, I'll air clay and latex over the fibreglass. If it doesn't work... Ah well, a fun escape from modifying cars :D

My design is a mix of P1 and P2, just to try and do something a little individual, but not **** the predator design up. Heavily inspired by the lost hunter withthe long dreads w/ no beads.

I think I've messed the proportions up a bit (face too small, head too large), but it's hard to tell with the **** pictures and no manibles.

I'm going to remove the P2 "second crown" bit so I can keep the clay bust and add the extra spikey bits on the fibreglass with air clay.

Anyway, tell me what ya think! In the background is a sculpt I did a few years back.

Here is what I've done thus far:

DSC02056.JPG

DSC02057.JPG

DSC02058.JPG

DSC02059.JPG

Someone else making a "hippie", nice one! Looking pretty good there bud. :D

It does sound like you're giving yourself way too much work though. If you're going to fiberglass over the sculpt anyway, once you pull it out you'll actually have a mold. So instead of brushing the latex on the outside, why not do the inside? You'll then have a much lighter (without extra clay) and detailed copy of your sculpt. Once you pull the latex out, add some foam and a fiberglass armature that fits your noggin on the inside, and voila!

Just a thought, either way, good luck!

nice avatar! so there will be two australian hippie predators, awesome!

great idea with the mould. that will work so much better than i thought, cheers buddy

And both in Victoria too... :D

No worries mate, also have a look around in the "huntorial" section - there are detailed threads on molding and casting from some of the best on the site, loads of great tips and info in there bud.

all i got to say it talent man TALENT. man im so jealous when i see this kind of work because i wish i was that good at sculpting. awsome job man keep it up.

Looks good. Practice always makes Close to perfect lol. idk if there really is a perfect since thats a real high standard. anyways.. keep it goin. and Slimz, you should try to create your own, you wont know what you can do till you try it. :p

cheers and thanks guys

yes mine isn't going to be an uber-detail one, just a budget-style one based on what i can scuplt with air clay and latex and how well i can paint it. it should look pretty good hopefully

however the clay drying on the polystyrene didn't go well. it's all cracked and pretty much all fallen off. going to have to start again and not let the clay dry and mould it while it's still wet. shouldn't be too much of a drama, hopefully.

Well i've started again, me and my housemate making a mask each.

Because we want working mandibles, we've made snug-fitting cardboard frames that fit our heads and jaws perfectly. Next they get a layer or two of papier mache to give it some rigidty, then add manible mechanisms, and then I will put that 'paper clay' stuff over it and finally latex.

Then today, I find this:

http://www.masterblasterfx.com/proyectos-f...edador-t68.htm#

Which is exactly what we've already started. Uncanny! Neither of us had seen this before and it is exactly our procedure too. crazy.

Pics soon!!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back