my first foot sculpt

thicky ricardo

hello hunters i was wanting critiques to improve my craft so i thought id ask the experts,here is a start to finish clay sculpting build/noob tutorial,i started with an old shoe and a tube sock and stuffed it with some clothes,covered it with ceran wrap as to not get clay on everything,covered the shoe and tube sock with clay i got from hobby lobby(14.99 for 25lbs) then started adding bits and pieces to get a a foot shape,then started putting on detail,made about a thousand little balls and mushed them on to get the scale look,then got a ziplock bag and covered area,then used end of paint brush to cross hatch skin wrinkles, added a few veins here and there,then smoothed the entire piece with rubbing alcohol and a sponge,and thats about it ...1 foot down another one to go,i have to thank all of the hunters who did a tutorial on feet cuz they provided good reference material,i havent seen a pair of bare feet yet so i thought i try something different. thanks for looking
IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your shape looks great and on your detail try useing a piece of saram wrap or light plastic over the piece and scribe your lines in with a dull wood tool. Creates great wrinkles and you don't plow into the clay.

Your shape looks great and on your detail try useing a piece of saram wrap or light plastic over the piece and scribe your lines in with a dull wood tool. Creates great wrinkles and you don't plow into the clay.
yea thats what i did,i guess forgot to put up the most recent pics(where its all smoothed out.lol but this is the first time useing that technique ,worked good

Looking really good, nive detail. Could I suggest building up the front of the foot a bit though, looks a very sharp right angle. Thinking they might be really hard to get into when you mould them up?

Looking really good, nive detail. Could I suggest building up the front of the foot a bit though, looks a very sharp right angle. Thinking they might be really hard to get into when you mould them up?

point taken didnt notice,but then again i was gonna make a small slit in the back of heel anyway,ill look into it,thanks for the input

feel like im a bit too late for this but,

yeah i was thinking the angle where the foot meets the ankle is quite 90 degree. the foot should slope up alittle more this would make more room for getting it on and also for lifts. plus, be a little more anatomically correct. take it for what it is. just a little crit on my part.

otherwise a fantastic sculpt!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back