my first ever sculpture /attempt to create a batman cowl

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by oocopycatoo, Sep 5, 2015.

1. oocopycatoo

oocopycatoo New Member

So this is my first post , im doing this because im a big batman fan and i dont have the luxury of being able to buy a mask ,so i decided to make one ,the one i have in mind is the ben affleck bvs cowl ,lol i have no experience with clay ,molding, sculpting or art lol . Only thing i have is my batman passion lol , any critique is welcome good or bad ..thanks

Attached Files:

2. oocopycatoo

oocopycatoo New Member

Starting to take form

Attached Files:

3. oocopycatoo

oocopycatoo New Member

Third session, sculpting aint no joke lol ..i need help with the wrinkles cant seem to get it ughh lol

Attached Files:

ZGarts likes this.
  4. pitchforknumb

pitchforknumb Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good so far man. What kind of wrinkles are you going for? If they are the ones on top of the nose, you could roll up some clay into worms, put 3 or 4 next together, and then burnish them with a wooden tool to tie them all together.

5. ChickenHaunt

ChickenHaunt Well-Known Member

To add to what pitchforknumb said, check out Stuart Bray's videos on youtube for examples of that.

You're making good progress!

6. oocopycatoo

oocopycatoo New Member

Thanks for the advice guys ,im going to watch the video ,gotta get this done bfore halloween lol

7. oocopycatoo

oocopycatoo New Member

This is where im at now lol ,oil clay aint no joke lol its like toothpaste

Attached Files:

8. reaton89

reaton89 Active Member

This is looking great for your first sculpture. One tip- Whether you plan on texturing it or not, try to get the surface as smooth as you can so that you don't have bumpy spots under different lighting. I try to constantly move my light sources (or the sculpture itself) because it reveals things you can't see when sculpting under 1 stationary light. What kind of clay are you using?

9. oocopycatoo

oocopycatoo New Member

reaton89 im using sargent modeling clay (oil clay) smoothing is another step i dont know about, i saw the video for doing the eyebrows details but the clay is so pliable lol ,i got ahold of some roma plastilina but its number 2 which is hard ,im in a standstill figuring out what to do next lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  10. cunningham

cunningham Active Member

Well done for a first sculpt! That clay you are using is a little soft, but all characteristics have their headaches. Like said before, watch as many videos online as possible - most are free and very useful. To get a nice flat and smooth surface takes time and it can be frustrating,, but it comes in time.Get a rake tool for that. Also, if the clay is colder it may smooth out better as it will be harder;soft clay just kind of resists that. I tried Monster Clay and never bother with anything else again, maybe you could give it a go.

11. Stinkape

Stinkape Active Member

Great work agree with Cunningham... Monster clay...

12. GIjoeFan197

GIjoeFan197 Member

Very impressive! When seeing the first picture never in a thousand years would I think this was your first time! Truly amazing the job your doing, and talent your showing!

13. oocopycatoo

oocopycatoo New Member

Yeah im going to get monster clay next lol cunningham thanks ....and thanks GIjoeFan197 i think its the ridiculous passion for batman that i was able to get that far with this sculpture lol ,you probably wont believe me but all the shaping ,i did by hand and fingertips lol ,i have like 4 tools and ive only used two ,one to cut the mouth opening and the second one to put lines on the side of the eyes and the lines on the nose lol ,thats why i was asking about the wrinkles...................im going to try the raking thing lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018