My first Dead Space WIP

Zaaz

This is my first time ever working with craft foam and foam mats. I think I've made 7 helmet bases now and this was the only one I liked. I tried mounting the foam to things like helmets, trying to make a rounded dome, etc. Eventually I just settled with what I have and after adding details I started to like it more and more. So I stuck with it and here I am. Unfortunately, once I got to this point I realized I made a big booboo with the face plate; it's not 100% accurate, it sticks out quite a bit from the base helmet - it's HUGE lol. This the second face plate I've made too. Don't laugh because I've done enough of that.

I'm just going to stick to my guns and finish it. (and the entire suit oy!) :cool

Attachments

• Snapshot_20131225.JPG
    Snapshot_20131225.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Snapshot_20131225_1.JPG
    Snapshot_20131225_1.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Snapshot_20131225_2.JPG
    Snapshot_20131225_2.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Snapshot_20131225_3.JPG
    Snapshot_20131225_3.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 205
I ordered my LEDs a few days ago. I'm going to start drawing my plans for the rig today and see how much frustration I can handle. I'm trying to think of a good way to make the under suit as well.

Your results are very good looking, keep at it man i'll be following this post as i like to see builds :)
I forgot to thank you. I appreciate it.

Im making a Dead Space costume. im using E.L. wire to light the rig.
good luck. the helmet looks great :)
Why thank you, sir! I've been looking at EL wire for some time. I was thinking of using EL tape instead just because it was flat. I decided on LEDs mainly because they're cheaper and easier because I have no electronics experience. If the ones I get aren't bright enough I think I may just try EL tape and mess around with it. Also, I like your rig. :)

looks great so far, well done. I'll be watching your progress

Thank you, Toja. You're one of my main inspirations haha.

Snapshot_20140108_2.JPG
Well I've been staring at my helmet for like 3 weeks just seeing something wrong and finally decided to start over. For the third time lol. I missed a lot of details and the slats just weren't long enough to make the helmet more 'space like???' I guess. So I started cutting a new one. I think it may be too long in this case but I'm gonna keep it this way for now. I also cut a bit out of the base helmet just so it wasn't so closed in around my face. I've mostly been searching around for an easy way to do the undersuit. Found my sewing pattern and fabric. Just need to order it all. Gonna post pictures of my faceplate as I add the details. I'm drawing them all from scratch again lol. I think I made everything a bit too big on the other one and I didn't keep my templates. Oh well.

Thank you very much for the compliment, I have a file that helmet, I can mail it if you want.
I do not know really who is the author of this file, but it is very good.

Muchas gracias por el cumplido, tengo un archivo de ese casco, puedo enviarlo por correo si usted quiere.
yo no se realmente quien es el autor de este archivo, pero es muy bueno.

Thank you very much for the compliment, I have a file that helmet, I can mail it if you want.
I do not know really who is the author of this file, but it is very good.
[url]http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee375/toja1976/DSCASCO_zpse65367c3.jpg[/URL]

Muchas gracias por el cumplido, tengo un archivo de ese casco, puedo enviarlo por correo si usted quiere.
yo no se realmente quien es el autor de este archivo, pero es muy bueno.

I've seen that and I didn't really want to use it because it looks too big to me. Maybe I am wrong but that looks like deep underwater diver to me haha. I appreciate the help though. He is what I have now.

Untitled.png

Please excuse my awful picture quality. I don't know where my camera is and I look a hot mess. I'm really happy with how much bigger it is.

I don't think I ever specified but this is the engineering suit from dead space 2. I'm also using the armor from dead space 3 as a reference because they're quite similar but it also gives me wiggle room for certain things. I haven't done much because I've been obsessing over the undersuit which I figured out. I ordered my sewing pattern and once I am ready to order fabric, I'll post about that lol. I also had to make a dummy to start working on the rig. I live an hour away from any town so going places unless it's absolutely necessary is what is taking me forever to get supplies. Getting my fiance to help wrap me in duct tape also took a little whining because he thought I was crazy. Anyway!
SDC11238.JPG(the slats look wonky here because it is laying almost flat and not curved like it should be lol) I had to repaint the helmet because it looked wrong. There are at least 3 colors of metal from what I can see. So I just did my interpretation since my helmet isn't very accurate. It just needs the light source which I am switching to el tape so I have an excuse to play with the extra bits hehe. Also, I didn't realize scaling the armor would be so hard. But being 5'5" and barely 100lbs is making me really think of ways to balance this out without cluttering the armor or making it too small or too thick. So I am taking my time drawing patterns and sizing everything. Waa waa waa.

I drew like 4 rigs all of which were so big just the health meter took up the whole of my back. So I measured and reduced and ended up with this.
View attachment 277412
Ignore the plastic sheeting piece that is taped; it's a stand-in until I can go and get my piping. Nothing is glued on or heat formed to fit the curvature of the base. I'm more or less seeing if this is as thick as I want it since it does stick out quite a bit from the spine. I like it I think. I also patterned out the stasis module and the two top 'shoulder blade armor???' pieces. I started on the left arm bracer type thing. Haven't gotten far because the rig is driving me nuts now. Never ending!

Gonna post about the undersuit since my pattern just arrived.

I am using the Kwik Sew K3052 and let me explain why;
Too many people just glue fake leather onto morphsuits!! I've never sewn spandex or anything stretchy and I've never done anything other than make aprons for work, but I think the undersuit is very important so I am not going to skip it. I drew a really bad idea of what I want or am trying to accomplish here lol.
Snapshot_20140124.JPG
This is what I think it looks like and I didn't want to go super crazy because I will have to sew this myself lmao. I know it's missing small details but for the integrity of having something wearable, I'll safely pass this time. The only problem I am having is deciding on what fabric to work with here. If you can see what I wrote on the paper there ignore it. I realized the fabric I picked might be a bit too light. The only fabric I am super sure about is the black. Which is matte metallic spandex. I want to line the suit too to make it a bit thicker. The brown remind me of chaps so I automatically went to leather or pleather. Reading about sewing that though scared me haha. So if anyone has any idea what to recommend as far as that, I'd love help. The gray/silver parts are also kinda iffy. I was thinking some kind of gunmetal milliskin since it's dark and shiny but not wet look shiny. Hopefully someone understands what I mean here lol. If anyone can suggest something that I am not thinking of, please speak now! I wanna get this baby finished!

I'd like to see the details on the back of the helmet in better lighting I like what you've done as far as your comment about the helmet being too close well you don't want to look like a bobble head or do you? Hmmm... keep up the good work. :popcorn

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back