My Fine Molds X-Wing

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well I am 99% done with this model. There are just a few things I still need to tweak here and there and currently there is no pilot. Damn he is small, but please let me know what you think, especially about the weathering. This is my first time weathering a model so please be kind.

This is my practice run, as well as, painting and weathering guide for my Captain Cardboard X-Wing. Anyways thanks for looking.

JDH

http://www.blockheadpictures.com/FM5.jpg
http://www.blockheadpictures.com/FM6.jpg
http://www.blockheadpictures.com/FM7.jpg

or go here to see all of them as well as my CC X-Wing progress. Scroll to the bottom.
http://www.blockheadpictures.com/CCx-Wing3.html

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
Overall I think its a very nice model but I think it needs a few more "battle scars". a few streaks, and maybe a light wash along the panel lines to bring them out a bit. That doesn't mean its not a damn fine model...it is very nice, but you did ask for a critique so there you go
Its a fine line between weathering it and ruining it... you're right to err on the too little is better then too much. I like it

Jedi Dade

PHArchivist

Master Member
Very nice! The weathering on the FMX is subtle, but still has the "right" look!

I love the lighted R2 on your CCX!

Raygun

Looking good
On a model that small you probably want to punch up the contrast on the shading so it stands out. It's tricky to get the right level of subtle and still have it show up. Remember that it should look good at about arms length away from you, and if you can't see the difference in shading from there, then try tweaking it a bit. You could try a darker shadow color or a lighter highlight color. Thin washes built up in layers can help or chalks, since they're faster and easier to work with. Remember to seal it between layers, so you can wipe off what you don't like. If that's your first attempt at weathering, you're going to be dangerous once you get the hang of it...it looks great!

Raygun

STEVE THE SWEDE

Sr Member
I think it looks great! However, something you want wanna have in mind when you start painting the CC. The real models (CC scale ones) wasn't painted gull grey. They were actually white which was smudged down.

Just something to concider.

Steve.

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks for all the input, especially the advice lord knows I need it
This model actually started of Camoflauge Grey. Then I dusted it very lightly with 80% Sky Grey and 20 PErcent white thinned way down. It just turned more dirty as I went along with the weathering.

The light really does not do it's actual appearance justice. The lighter color camo grey can still be seen and the panel lines stand out more. I just couldn't find a lighting scenario in my house that showed the weathering better than that.

Once I finish the base I am going to take it to work with me and have some good photos taken of it. I work for a barcode company and we take our own pictures of our products so we have a great camera and one of those diffuse light tent things. All greek to me
but the guy who takes the pictures says he can make it look great.

Anyways thanks for all the advice and praise I really appreciate it. I am almost ready to start paiting the CC X-wing so we shall see how it goes. I have already started pre-shading the recessed areas. I have to hurry up before my SS Tie gets here. I am running out of time.

JDH

Sluis Van Shipyards

Master Member
Looks good!

That pilot is tiny, but it was easier to paint than I thought. I had trouble painting the lines between the panels on the "dash" of the X-Wing so I just left it black.

Robert McLain

Sr Member
Looks really awesome! Accenting the panel lines is the only thing I can think to do. Still looks beautiful, though.

Robert

Raygun

It probably looks 10 times better in person too....the camera flash always seems to wash out a lot of the details. If you can do it, try photographing it with the flash off and use a light bounced off a white card adjusted to the angle you want to reflect the correct amount of light. A black background like a sheet of construction paper or black sheet or towel will help absorb some of the reflected light if you place it behind and under the model too. It always amazes me how much better a kit looks in person. All the details that aren't in the photo are there
! If you can find it, there's a really good book called How to photograph scale models, and it's full of useful information. Kalmbach press puts it out...same guys who do Fine Scale Modeler magazine. It's worth the $9 or whatever it cost me. Can't wait to see the CC X-wing finished

Raygun

JediLip

Looks great. After seeing it, I ended up picking one up myself. I need some advice though since I'm not very good at models and I'm pretty bad at painting.

Is there a good alternative to painting if you don't have an airbrush? Such as a type of spray paint? I tried a white Krylon Fusion on mine and it didn't turn out so well. The paint really wouldn't stick even after lightly sanding it and cleaning it up.

I didn't want to use primer because I thought it would make it too thick and hide a lot of the details.

I may end up getting an airbrush. Any recommendations on that?

Thanks.

Jeeves

RE spray paints -- I tend to use those that are made for models -- Tamiya or Testors. Other stuff sometimes comes out too thick, IMHO.

-Raj

Jedi Dade

Sr Member
Air brushes are fantastic! but you will need to practice a bit with it. It felt like forever until I thouoght I was "good enough" with an airbrush to use on models I really cared about. But it does make a world of difference. and the recomendations on paint...I've got to agree Tamiya stuff pretty hard to beat, although I've had a lot of luck with the Floquils as well.

Jedi Dade

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Airbrush is defiantely worth it. I did use a primer coat of Tamiya Flat black thinned down. Then used Testors Acryl Camoflauge Grey thinned down. Neither Buried the panel lines and I am very happy with the final results and yes the camera does not do it justice.

JDH

tommin

Sr Member
You've come a long way with this model, JDH. It has really turned out great.

Can you share any tips or pointers on your most excellent weathering techniques?

Tom

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sorry for the slow response Tommin.

Basically the weathering is done with india ink and rubbing alcohol. I sealed it with Future then went to town with the india ink. If it got too dark I diluted it with the alcohol. It looks very good for the scale and was allot easier to use than the oil paints I used on my FM Tie Fighter. I still need to pain the tiny pilot but have just not had the time for any modeling and my CC X-Wing is getting mad at me.

JDH

Oh as a side note, I also went over the india ink with a really super fine grade steel wool. It rally kicked the weathering up a notch and took some of the new shine off the decals and I was really happy with the results.