My Fallout 3 Tri Beam Laser Rifle

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by FLAKOE123, Apr 22, 2012.

1. FLAKOE123

FLAKOE123 Active Member

I had started from scratchSo this project took me about a week of working with cardboard, posterboard, scissors, and alot of masking tape haha. unfortunately the pictures from the start were lost when my old phone broke.. but this is what i have right now. so let me know what you think :) i tried to give it an old weathered repaired look to thats why its missing the metal ring around the barrel. the thing that i still need to fix it the microfusion cell.

2. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

Did you freehand the dimensions, or did you work from a set of plans?

Frankly, it looks good, for having been made out of tape. Most of the details are there, and while I'm less familiar with the Tri-Beam than I am with the vanilla AER9, it's recognizable as from Fallout. It's the stock that does it, I think. :)

It's just... why tape and cardboard? Wood isn't that hard to work with - my laser rifle build was my first major carpentry project, and you learn as you go - and it doesn't flex in your hands as I imagine the cardboard does. When I was younger, I made airplanes out of cardboard, paper, and tape, and they never lasted very long. What are your plans on keeping this intact?

3. proplord

proplord New Member

epic mate, i want to make one myself but just don't no where to start

4. FLAKOE123

FLAKOE123 Active Member

Thanks! most of it WAS free handed in dimensions because I couldnt find alot of good references. I knew the width of the barrel and the other parts since i use the weapon alot in the game. the only real reference i had during the build was this that i had drawn out from the fallout wiki. And i did think about doing the rifle out of wood at first, but i dont have access to alot of wood and im not very good with it. And since i had alot of cardboard and i felt it would be easier to work with i just decided to use it instead. Also yeah, haha at first it was only a little flimsy in between the stock and barrel, but then i got a small metal screw and it reinforced it and its not flimsy at all. Suprisingly it hasnt lost any of its quality in the las ten months. (because i actually made it last summer) i guess i plan to keep doing what im doing with it :lol.

5. FLAKOE123

FLAKOE123 Active Member

Thanks it means alot. I didnt know where to start either at first. but if you wanna look at one of the videos that i did theres one that this guy made for wayside productions. i used the ideas from this on some parts of my rifle.
    The Featherweight Updates 08 Tri-Beam Edition - YouTube

6. narutoishere

narutoishere Active Member

Thanks for the photos and the post. It's really good. I was thinking of building tribeam laser rifle and alien disintegrator. Your template helps a lot with the proportion.

7. FLAKOE123

FLAKOE123 Active Member

Your welcome! glad to help! :)