My DL-44 Builds. Two(!!) MGC's and a Field Marshall Now! GK, Hoth, ANH Hero, OH MY!!!

NathanM

I think she’s a beaut Clark. I have a bunch more stuff to post but this is a nice way to start and even though it’s been done to death, I’ll be documenting it as I go. So excited !!!

A65F9039-D9A7-4B31-BCD6-FD99EF5CA644.jpeg

I’m still deciding which build to go with but most likely this’ll be a Greedo Killer.

Yeah I was aware of the bolo version with the real ones. I noticed the short barrel whenI purchased it but was hoping it would work for a build. I was a concerned it would be too short for the planned Greedo Killer or Han Hoth. I’ve been collecting bits and pieces for each but have nothing for the RoTJ MGC, so I’d get a kit for that and in some ways that’s easier as I wouldn’t care about found parts at all. The flat black finish makes it easy too as I was figuring out how to approach this and keep the finish. As always, you guys with way more knowledge have given me a lot to consider. I’ll post all of the stuff I’ve scrounged up so far and then figure out what I’m going to do. The lack of MGC’s on the market makes me nervous on which one to build. Excited but nervous.

:D i feel the same way. excited to see what parts you end up with.

I think.. kurtyboy.. or someone a while back got a short-barreled version and made the ROTJ one because the barrel is actually chopped short on those. Gosh, I'll go back and try to find the build

I’d appreciate that. I’m not too partial to the ROTJ build but I wasn’t with the Greedo Killer either so I may warm up to it like the GK. I’ll post some more close ups of this MGC to see what the general consensus is on the aged quality of the finish and if I should leave it be.

I'm ggoing to keep the original finish. It just looks nice and I appreciate the wear it has. I'm also going to use it for a Greedo Killer. Like I said, the look oof the GK has grown on me immensely and I think even with the shortened barrel of my MGC it'll work out. Gonna do measurements once things are in hand to make double sure but that's where I stand. I've put toggether the most original parts for it as well so that makes sense. More to come.

First thing I need to do is clean off the Hider I got recently. Apparently denatured alcohol is good for this, so I’m using that.

51E35FBE-409F-49B3-9DC2-B3E2476D4D1B.jpeg8DC70F99-7598-48FE-8CB6-B92A19197390.jpeg935C436E-F350-4F39-A37D-324C0BCFB435.jpeg
What’s a good solution for protecting the metal and finish of the hider after it’s been cleaned?

Why do I have the feeling that I almost bought both of those? looking forward to your build! Any thoughts on the scope?

Why do I have the feeling that I almost bought both of those? looking forward to your build! Any thoughts on the scope?
Ha, probably yes. Sorry if we were competing.

I'm going to go with a vintage Weaver K2.5-1. I figured it's close enough and I like vintage better than repro and it was cheaper than a repro to boot.

I've gone overboard on the scope rings and bought a lot of different types. I'm not sure which I'll use yet but I'll post all of them here.

I found a flash hider in the same condition as yours - still wrapped and entombed in Cosmoline. I heated mine in a convection oven in the shop at work (to about 150 degrees) and the Cosmoline softened up until it was like oil and was running off. I simply wiped most of it off with rags, and then finished the job by soaking all of the parts in mineral spirits - and going at 'em with an old toothbrush. Then I hosed everything down with Birchwood Casey Barricade and let that sit for a couple hours before wiping it all down and reassembling.

Ha, probably yes. Sorry if we were competing.

I'm going to go with a vintage Weaver K2.5-1. I figured it's close enough and I like vintage better than repro and it was cheaper than a repro to boot.

I've gone overboard on the scope rings and bought a lot of different types. I'm not sure which I'll use yet but I'll post all of them here.
Hey, carefull about the 2.5-1, it's quite longer than the compac. the 1.5 is closer to the good length

Hey, carefull about the 2.5-1, it's quite longer than the compac. the 1.5 is closer to the good length
What should the length of the tube sections be for accuracy? I'm looking at the 1.5's on the bay and their lengths look similar to the one I'll get in hand tomorrow, so knowing the length could help.

What should the length of the tube sections be for accuracy? I'm looking at the 1.5's on the bay and their lengths look similar to the one I'll get in hand tomorrow, so knowing the length could help.
full length of a compac is around 25cm. and around 16cm from the further end of the back scope ring to the front of the scope.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back