Just the little details as you mentioned, dings etc. on the grips and stuff as far as the Mauser goes. 'Pat's Patch'..^^.. has gotta be there too!..my find had a funny name, thus so should his, haha ;)

It's a real shame we can't see the rear of the Mauser though. Not just for the serial(s), but even the SN stamp varies in shape and depth as well as alignment of any and all markings stamped in anywhere.

The original flash hider is something to look carefully at, especially at the front-most radius size and transition to the cone, there's some (hand machined) uniqueness there too. OdiWan72 has the closest Real FH variation to the Hero's FH that I've ever seen, barring many similarities to the original..lucky ducky :D

I'll see soon if I can get a decent photo of the proof-marks from my C96 as mentioned. Mine was pretty well damaged by a small house fire a few months ago, so I can't guarantee it's very legible.

-Carson

Last edited:
..a small house fire a few months ago, so I can't guarantee it's very legible.

First and foremost I’m very sorry to hear that! I hope everyone was ok and nothing but material goods where hurt. Fires, even small ones are scary.

Your point about the stamping is well taken. Every picture I have or collected differs a bit from the next. The FH’s radius certainly looks to have more of a radius that your mentioning. I’ll definitely give that another look.

I’ll go see if I can find a pic of Odi’s FH as well for reference. Thanks Carson and again I hope everyone is doing alight.

We have so many great reference photos of the actual prop itself now that honestly I think I can find everything I need here. I few of these only came to light (for a majority of us anyhow) only recently. These ones are great simply because they all almost directly from the side! Much thanks to that mystery man who’s been sharing them :)
46FF00FD-7D55-4088-A59E-CE214F9FD7FF.jpeg

Wow! So sorry Carson!

Glad no one was hurt.

Sorry for the damage to your c96.

I'm sure it can be restored to a nice finish even if some details are diminished.

I wish I could help you but I'm sure you will be able to bring it back to a beautiful finish.

Try some of those rust removers like Vaporust to stop the surface rust and get down to metal without damage. See what your dealing with.

Post your progress when you decide to tackle it.

Good luck buddy!

Happy Independence Day all!

Two steps forward, one step sideways. Spent some time reworking my FH a bit. My diameter is right around 1.3in but I tweaked a couple points, including said radius, as well as rotating the bullets a bit and elongated the cone by about .050 from what I had it before. I think it’s even more so now looking the part..
E0C634CF-41E8-4C17-A5E6-21946628EDF6.png
B9910278-DA40-454C-8F20-042D999C723D.png
3FEDAD6E-8C2D-4B15-B519-B5060878BDEF.jpeg

Looking really fantastic, man!

As I've said before, there's always room for improvement and new realizations. AutoCad which is what I used, isn't perfect for free-form modeling at all. Asymmetries, hand worked stuff and etc. are very difficult to recreate. I always wanted to learn some of the other software that's out there (3DX would be handy to know for full free-form stuff, trooper helmets and such, digital sculpting). I just simply haven't had the time to pour into anther program as of yet.

Keep up the good work!

-Carson

Thanks deadbolt! Personally I know a little mastercam and now a little Solidworks as well. I’ve become much more proficient in Solidworks as that’s the program I spend all my time on. I really don’t know if what I’m doing here is simply basic, intermediate or advanced stuff?? A lot of it is (for me anyhow) knowing what I want in the end and then figuring out the best tools solidworks offers to get me there. YouTube helps immensely!

I would love to learn Freeform modeling like zbrush myself or something similar (never heard of 3DX?). Money and time always gets in the way unfortunately.

Honestly though I’m still working through the CAD program I have. My biggest issue is I don’t connect everything when I’m building so when I modify one part I generally have to “start over” in a lot of ways. It’s a little tedious but eventually I get where I want to go :)

Your CAD model of the c96 is absolutely beautiful and it’s amazing the detail you captured! Again thank you for sharing as I would still be guessing and possibly just rounding 1st about now in stead of being in the homestretch.

Cheers Carson!

Finally started the tedious venture into redrawing all the stampings. Just finished up the sight. Honestly not sure if it will print in the needed details but it’s certainly nice to see it on there..
5194985F-E50D-4EA4-8580-E22DDC3A5C5C.png

Last edited:
Here another small update. The font style is one that needs to be fully replicated I believe. Bottom writing is still the old template for comparison. It’s very clean compared to the top as you can see..
EFFCA14E-31C5-44D3-9E05-B40AE4231ED0.jpeg

Looking good!

Keep in mind the scalloped rear knurls on the flash hider too, they were originally made with a radius cutter, similar to the one below. It creates a 'somewhat' parabola/egg shape to the front end of those cuts, it makes for two different radius' causing the 'egg' like look..=bView attachment 1592493
This was as close as I could figure those 'bullet knurls'. Also a nice comparison of DEC Dave's replica vs. OdiWan's real Flash Hider:

View attachment 1592494

View attachment 1592496

-Carson
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, I haven’t finished reading yet. :lol: So much goodness!! But I wanted to mention that in 3d, it’s easy to get the bullet shape, just stretch the filleted face at the tip a bit. Reading on…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back