So I just lengthened my scope a bit and tilted up the FH as well. This overlay is really rewarding to see :)

The grill still needs to be tweaked as I just grabbed my denix verison and quickly threw it on to complete the build. I squished the top down to far and put it on to far back as well but I’m going to remodel it always around this c96 shortly..
94F3BF24-7AAA-4EAE-9019-4D697940BEE6.png
EF36009C-C1B9-473A-9DAE-8CD3001E0E66.png
2B77BB41-224E-4D0F-B64E-6F7CBF4B5E1B.png

Last edited:
Like a dimple from how it’s was cut I imagine. Spun around on a lathe? Also kpax deadbolt I'm going to start getting the base Mauser itself accursed for the Hero (along with the rest of the parts) and would like to move those details to the actual hero thread. That’s cool? I could keep it here otherwise but figure it would be a fun revisit for some and a way to continue to celebrate the Hero itself in its details.

..I always thought it was funny they included the ovenmit with the kit..although kinda necessary =b
Silencers often come with some sort of heat protection pad these days as well, possibly back then too though I'm not sure.

Edit: feel free, John. As long as it pertains to the Hero Mauser and other related parts, scenes etc., (like the Merr Sonn, ESB/ROTJ stunts etc.) no worries at all. Any and all is welcome!

-Carson

Last edited:
^^^

Yep. Not many rounds thru and you can fry eggs on those barrels.!

In the heat of battle ; ) they could scald themselves really good.

There are some Utubes of modern MG shooting showing suppressors melting! and barrels warping-glowing in the dark.

Like a dimple from how it’s was cut I imagine. Spun around on a lathe? Also kpax deadbolt I'm going to start getting the base Mauser itself accursed for the Hero (along with the rest of the parts) and would like to move those details to the actual hero thread. That’s cool? I could keep it here otherwise but figure it would be a fun revisit for some and a way to continue to celebrate the Hero itself in its details.
yes. just the center nub of the lathe turning.

On 2nd thought maybe it’s best to just keep going here. Could get confusing and intentions could get misunderstood. I reworked my Denix Hero grille a bit so it now fits this CAD design. This is how I’ve always seen it and I know I may be in the minority but regardless the grille is pretty much finished..
C0A7DB59-5103-403B-A449-5D2E70748D69.png
E2453BE2-E0A7-4768-AF0F-BC829FCCF650.png
ADAE390C-66B2-482B-A0D0-D3BE629624BF.png
0CC7BF3B-9937-4FF6-9D7A-4E58EFDD1F45.png
34B814E1-D8F3-4558-B658-8A37BEDAFFDB.png
5B1A229F-A1AB-4C36-BFB2-1F1880B06BF6.png
124E6415-DC0D-4433-B17C-965600E0125C.png
6DB2C7FF-527E-4CA4-8F2D-2F9D1E140DCF.png

Last edited:
Yep, that's her! ;)

Things were crooked all over the prop in various stages of it's life. Primarily the grill was the only that was always crooked from the start, since it was all glued together and such. So rather than idealizing, I'd say this is the way to go for sure.

Pat (kpax) was the first to theorize that the top piece was tilted and also the same diameter/section of the cylinder as the rest. Until then, a lot of theories were flying around about it being a 'more' tapered piece up top and smaller in diameter instead etc..

When I first tried modeling the grill (my very first CAD model way back when) albeit inaccurate as can be, I noticed a smaller diameter couldn't possibly wrap around the mag-well of a Mauser and keep the whole grill setting as close to it at the same time, so Pat's revelation early on proved that the top had to be a larger piece and simply shifted and tilted creating the illusion of a smaller piece. After the part-find it became only possible to be a piece of the larger/upper section of the Veron/Reade cylinder.

God knows why they built it that way, but it's beyond iconic at this point..so I consider it a small work of art attached to of a larger piece of art! =b

-Carson

Last edited:
Yep.

The top piece is almost "flat" It is only on the front of the mag well and doesn't wrap around at all. Basically cut at the breakline of the magwell. Before all the grills were too big.

great work! Nice to see again. Reminiscent of Carson's work.

Last edited:
kpax I don’t mind at all. In fact I cherish feed back and guidance especially from like minded people who share the same passion. It’s one of the reasons I thought about moving this to the Hero thread but since I have both you and Carson checking in here (as well as others - and thank you!- showing interest) I figure I’m already in great hands.

I’ve put off the numbers and letters honestly to get it assembled. What’s on it now is stuff I added really quickly a while back. I was only planing on putting on the BB/FH on but it snowballed into getting everything assembled once I saw how it looked. I really wanted to see it assembled. That then snowballed into getting the grille reworked. I want to rework the BB a bit now as well to create it’s so it can either pivot and/or rotate so the FH can sit correctly. Still need to modify the inside of the c96 itself just a little to make sure the spring will hold for the hammer. Mostly now it’s simply to finish the race and not get to distracted along the way.

But again feedback +/- is more than welcome. Also the screw head u mentioned.. you mean the grips right? Those along with the mounts screws are only there for the CAD assy. I’ll use these (pictured below) instead. They are not fully accurate but they are the only ones I can find and should work. Great eye by the way. I put the grip screw templates on the wrong side (by accident but left them) and was wondering if anyone would notice!!
A6195B06-100A-470E-8E94-7E1897BC7D8E.jpeg

Last edited:
I might be bitting off more than I can chew but here are some of the pictures I’ve gathered to help me get the stamping/number details correct. deadbolt if you wouldn’t could I ask you to take some pictures of these details from your real Mauser? It would be helpful as well but no worries if not. Some of these pictures are great but when blown up I lose details. Like the stamping on the right side behind the BB. Not the crown over U but the others side? Also I know the serial numbers differ from the top barrel to the bottom receiver. So I was thinking off adding these numbers 61011 to the bottom. I like to use dates that reflect something of importance and feel those numbers do just that ;)

Edit: also I want to add the grip scares, Carson’s lump and the chip that’s on the left side of the barrel as well if possible. Without getting to crazy am I missing anything else??
3900C584-CFA4-4F2C-AE4F-4A8E1F204A50.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back