chubsANDdoggers

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Pedro that’s great my man! Thanks for sharing. Most definitely yes to posting here as pictures always speak the loudest. Solidworks works the same as what u did above.. basically anyways. I’m sure I’m making this more difficult than it should be.
 
Last edited:

kpax

Sr Member
Note the tapered edge "flats" for the front and back strap. This gives the area where there is no groove.

The inner grip blanks are milled first then set in the jig to turn.

1655435571782.png
 

chubsANDdoggers

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I truly appreciate all the help and guidance. Give me a day or two and I’m sure I’ll find something to tweak but for now these are the grips. I’ve oversized them just a tad and got the male/female to work (fingers crossed). The back and front flats I was able to get those to line up nice which I’m happy about. Next I’ll add all the groves and placement for the screws..
7A190399-475F-4373-A3EB-FCEECB065321.png
5C6A1A4D-3EE0-4650-BCE1-78330BB15148.png
 
Last edited:

chubsANDdoggers

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Got some of the groves in there. The base line that goes around the bottom I used mostly as a template to figure out roughly where each should stop on either side.

As Carson pointed out there isn’t any real solid evidence that that base line around bottom is actually on the hero prop itself. Even looking at the resin casting of the stunt/Dagobah blaster you can’t make out any line there either. So it will be removed once I’m finished unless something new comes up between now and then..
B1F582F6-4801-44B1-B1CF-FB671DFAB39F.jpeg
823B5050-A974-4F82-893A-EFB1E46983CB.jpeg
A4D979F3-D909-474E-94CE-E0216E64AA67.jpeg
9863020F-5285-435B-9BED-1C38C6447249.jpeg
60CC234D-BF3E-40B7-9F4B-C01A7D56595B.jpeg
 
Last edited:

chubsANDdoggers

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
wow...... the trouble is at what point will you consider this "finished" or is it one of those projects you will keep oncoming back to
just to tweek.....

I just want to add the stamping and recheck to make sure all the parts (how everything attaches) are correctly sized. Then it’s pretty much done :)
 

deadbolt

Sr Member
Looking good!

Keep in mind the scalloped rear knurls on the flash hider too, they were originally made with a radius cutter, similar to the one below. It creates a 'somewhat' parabola/egg shape to the front end of those cuts, it makes for two different radius' causing the 'egg' like look..=b
rcutter.jpg

This was as close as I could figure those 'bullet knurls'. Also a nice comparison of DEC Dave's replica vs. OdiWan's real Flash Hider:

Bullet Knurl Chart.png


2014-02-2108-41-51_zps64260f9f.JPG



-Carson
 

chubsANDdoggers

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
deadbolt I did notice that the scallops are more egg shape in the front but I couldn’t begin to tell u why or how it was done. I do appreciate the insight into how they are actually cut. Everything is to an extent subjective obviously but the Hero prop’s flash hider itself doesn’t look to be as strong as others? My scallops are egg shaped but on purpose I didn’t do them that strong.
5703A04B-8EE5-40EF-812D-0F5E741F31B3.jpeg
212FF5D4-ACAB-40F5-822A-6B045DE5CCD6.png
 
Last edited:

chubsANDdoggers

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Still need to add the stamping but I finally got everything assembled. What surprised me the most was my scope design is a little short. I’m not sure if this is simply a CAD perspective issue or simply a miscalculation on my part? Otherwise everything else seems to line up pretty good..
07ABA819-563D-4F60-80A3-C40E7437D11D.png
23CAAE7D-3BE3-4A27-AF99-3CC4BC11BCFB.png
F6DD8704-527A-40A2-A061-5FD1D53F053B.png
 

kpax

Sr Member
the bullet knurls aren't as strong due to wear. Gotta remember these were well used vintage parts. The FH was screwed on and off many times when used on the machine gun and likely wrench and leather gloves, rags used to loosen the FH when hot and covered with sand and dirt etc. ...They got worn down.


The FH wrench can be seen in the MG81 gunners kit below on the left.
The holes in the FH are not really for an allen screw/bolt but were for the wrench nub.


s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg
 
Last edited:

chubsANDdoggers

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
kpax are those pictures actually from your own collection? Theres threading on the inside of the FH so I always assumed that's how it attached.. its interesting that they didn't go that route for SW as well? I guess it was simply easier to use the screw?
 

kpax

Sr Member
I wish... ; )
unfortunately not mine.

But yes, the FH was screwed on with those inner threads. I guess it was too much trouble to weld a threaded ring to the bullbarrel to attach the FH in ANH. Maybe didn't want to ruin the bullbarrel in case needed for another picture.

1656433168806.png


1656433269824.png
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top