My CW Reverse Flash costume and accessories

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by teragon, Apr 2, 2015.

1. teragon

teragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So, there is quite a few very fine Reverse Flash ring from the CW in the junkyard, but from time to time I like to have props I made myself.
    I modelled it in Blender, based on screenshots from the show, and printed through Shapeways in brass. Took two tries, the first one the proportions were way off for some reason, but that was good thing as it made me realise I'm allergic to brass. So now the second version has arrived, much more accurate IMO, and in 18K gold plated (wasn't much more expensive than brass, 20-30$ more I think).

the new and old model :
    flashring.png

The old and new ring :
    IMG_4077.JPG

The new ring alone and on my finger :
    IMG_4075.JPG IMG_4076.JPG

Now I'm making a proper stand for it with a friend, some laser cut parts, some 3D printed, should be done soon. And after that ? Maybe a full RF costume if I find someone who can work with leather ! I actually have a real cloth designer friend, but I kinda doubt she'd be down for making it for me, even if I pay her for her time. Plus I've never seen her work with leather. We'll see.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    stevenentabita and RacerMachX like this.
  2. Daftpunk

Daftpunk Jr Member

Re: My reverse flash ring

It's cool and everything but...shouldn't this be in the DC section?

The JIX likes this.
  3. teragon

:lol My bad, sorry ! I had a brain freeze there. Could a mod move this to the DC section ? Thank you.

4. barbquebutt

barbquebutt Active Member

I need it.

5. lewhitewizard

lewhitewizard New Member

I like it!

6. officertyler

officertyler New Member

Nice ring. I've seen a few on there, debating getting one because I haven't seen photos

7. funny0

funny0 Active Member

Looks great.

8. teragon

Thanks ! For those who want one, I don't think I need to make a run myself, there are already several runs of it by different sellers on the junkyard, so unless you really want mine, go check them, they're nice too !

9. teragon

Re: My reverse flash ring and stand

Alright, got the base of the stand printed and sanded, next step is primer then more sanding and so on. Basically it's a 1:1 Reverse Flash chest symbol, but with a hole in the centrer for an acrylic transparent rod. Also got the ring holder itself printing right now in black as a test piece, if it works, then I'll print it in clear to match the rod. Also have a second bolt printing, without the hole so I can make myself an actual reverse flash chest symbol for costume purposes.
    IMG_4105.JPG

10. teragon

And here it is temporarily assembled with tape :
    IMG_4108.JPG
    I like it !

edit : that's Kevin Gausset's man of steel command key in the background, which was my inspiration for this stand.

Attached Files:

Yarooon likes this.
  11. teragon

And here it is all finished, as well as the emblem version. I've also found someone to take care of the jacket for me, we'll see how that goes.
    IMG_4132.JPG IMG_4131.JPG IMG_4130-1.JPG

They were cast in smooth on Onyx from the 3D printer masters in an earlier post. If you'd like one too, I'm doing a small run atm, you can find it in the JY.

12. teragon

Re: My reverse flash ring + stand and costume

So, back a few months, I found a website willing to take a shot at the jacket, in all real leather, and I just received the product today. It's not perfect, at all, but it's a good base I couldn't have done myself (dont mind the symbol there, it's an old B-cast test paint and mounted with scotch tape and not even right furthermore !)
    FullSizeRender-55.jpg FullSizeRender-56.jpg

While the first picture shows a desaturated yellow, the actual color is fine, more like the second pic.

Things to mod :
    - the collar, not quite the right shape
    - the abs thingies that are missing
    - the black gradient (that's normal though, I asked them not to do it, I trust myself more to get it right)
    - Maybe accentuate the pec separation area
    - blackening the rivets (golden for now)
    - Add the symbol holder, most likely velcro
    - Taming down the red piping, it's a bit too red and they went crazy with it, adding some where it wasn't necessary. Although to be honest I kinda like it that way, but I'll bring them down to a more burgandy color

Things I won't change :
    - The side panels are supposed to be fabric and not leather, that's something they couldn't do and neither can I, unless I glue some over the leather, but I'm not to fond of that idea.
    - The piping, perhaps, since I kinda like the highlights they achieve, although I'm toying with the idea to replace some of it with EL piping for the red lightning effect. Will see.

What do you guys think ? Worth the 200$ ?

Yarooon likes this.
  13. jrenemtz321

jrenemtz321 Well-Known Member

the jacket looks pretty good. I wonder if they'd be willing to do a faux leather version for less.

14. sjorsjo91

sjorsjo91 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing, looks stunning!

15. teragon

I don't think so, they only work with leather, but you can ask. Comes from LeatherCult. I found out after ordering that they don't have a very good reputation, but I have not much to complain personally. Communication was not excellent, their english not always so good, but neither is mine, especially when I'm tired. So some miscommunications but not much, and nothing that screwed the final product.

I'll definitely order the pants there too now, the only dilemma is should I order them in yellow or black ? The official close up picture clearly shows that the pants are blackened yellow, and you still see the yellow in some parts, but then I'll have to airbrush most of it or directly go with black and loose some screen accuracy. I don't know.
    the-flash-reverse-flash-img-720x1068.jpg

16. JWMines

JWMines Active Member

I'd say order them in the same yellow as the jacket and then airbrush the whole thing together so it all matches :)

17. teragon

Yes I think I'll go with yellow leather, it's evident the pants were yellow in the actual suit, so let's do it like they did. On the side note :
    FullSizeRender-57.jpg
    Don't mind the prints, they're rejects due to some warping, but they helped me cutting the leather to size. Need more leather though, and new prints are cooking in the printer, hopefully no warping this time.

JWMines likes this.
  18. teragon

Thought I'd leave a pic of the belt as it is now, still a WIP, but almost done ! Just need to go to the store on Monday for more rivets.

FullSizeRender-58.jpg

Airbrushing the black leather paint I have on the jacket this afternoon, hopefully I'll have pics later today then.

19. teragon

And here is the pic of the jacket newly airbrushed. Still need some touch here and there, notably to soften the cuffs black to yellow transition and darken the red piping with burgandy paint mainly. Other than that I quite like it !
    IMG_4257.JPG

20. stevenentabita

stevenentabita New Member

I really LOVE the ring, well made, sir!

21. teragon

Thanks !
    I managed to finish the belt and attach the emblem on the jacket, so here is a couple of crappy selfies with them and an old fake leather pants from another project. On the side note I finally found a use for that selfie stick I got last christmas.
    FullSizeRender-59.jpg IMG_4281-copy.png

And a last pic of the completed belt
    FullSizeRender-60.jpg

Now I'll focus on finding good thin gloves and boots to mod, and finish tweaking the jacket (still have to figure out how to do the abs thingies). I'll order the pants somewhere in July probably. Also need to loose the 15 pounds I gained these last few months working on my graduate thesis...

Yarooon likes this.
  22. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

I think the black fade on the jacket should start just a little bit higher because with the belt you can barely notice it. Just my two cents :)

23. teragon

Yeah I agree, I already sprayed it a little bit higher after a first try, but it could use an inch more of fade black again. Will do while I blend it the cuffs. I think I'll also work a bit more on the side panels, they're supposed to be the same screen printed fabric with little lightning bolts as the flash I think, but in dirty yellow/black, so maybe I can at least make a lightning bolts template and spray them on to compensate the lack of fabric.

24. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

You're right about the yellow bolt pattern, only difference is it's reversed lol

25. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

Hey I have a bunch of pics from SDCC that my friend took of you need some more reference pics

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

26. teragon

Whatever pics of the pants you have, I'll take it, thanks !

27. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

uploadfromtaptalk1436721193430.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1436721217661.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1436721243615.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1436721280470.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

teragon likes this.
  28. TheTbagmonster

TheTbagmonster New Member

Excuse my ignorance, but can't you just buy the lisensed CW Reverse-Flash ring?

29. teragon

I could have, but 1) it wasn't out when I made mine 2) it's not 18k gold plated 3) I take more pride in owning something I made or something hand made from this forum with passion and attention to the details than official licensed stuff that usually is not that accurate. For once the licensed ring looks fine though.

Archer21 likes this.
  30. TheTbagmonster

How did you make that RF stand??

31. teragon

Modeled it in 3D, printed it on my form1+, molded it, cast it and there you go. Only thing I didn't make myself was the acrylic rod obviously.

32. TheTbagmonster

Oh, cool! Wish I had a 3D printer, but it seems complicated. And also, what material did you use to make the mold? Like if I wanted to form a mold, how would I do it? ( I usually just work with Pepakura type stuff)

- - - Updated - - -

I skipped over this post, my bad haha. You are right, there is more pride in making it, I was just curious.

33. teragon

Well, the process of molding and casting is not that complicated once you get the hang of it : To mold the master piece you need molding silicone, that comes in several hardness and options, a box of some kind you can make in whatever you want to hold the silicone over your piece, and eventually mold release. That's it for a one piece mold. 2 pieces mold are a bit more complicated and require clay usually, but check out the smooth-on website, they produce all the materials you need to mold and cast, as well as several video tutorials that are good to get started.

34. TheTbagmonster

Oh sweet, thanks Teragon! :D that will come in handy in the future