My Custom Rotocasting Machine build...

propsculptor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
These are photos of my current build of my Custom Rotocasting Machine...
I thought it might interest some of you...
IMG_20180419_173631_057-1.jpg
IMG_20180419_175040_212-1.jpg
IMG_20180503_200033_208.jpg

If you look at the last photo on the bottom, there's a strip of metal with pre-drilled holes which is where the brackets I'm building will be mounted to hold different sized molds... Some assembly required! :)

If you look at the last photo on the bottom, there's a strip of metal with pre-drilled holes which is where the brackets I'm building will be mounted to hold different sized molds... Some assembly required! :)

Awesome. I have wanted a rig like this for some time, but never seem one in action, so still learning.

I would like to build one eventually. Maybe a dumb question, but when you put a mold in, how do you prevent the resin from leaking out the fill/vent holes? Does centrifugal force keep it in while is spins? I wouldn't think it would spin fast enough.

I use a cheap concrete mixer, $75 used form a pawn shop, $150 new from Harbor Freight, to turn my IG mold. I use the pour lever to tilt it back and forth while it rotates.

Scott

Pardon my poor engineering-IQ, but how do you rotate both frames at once? I see a handle with gear and chain, how is that hooked up to turn both frames? Do you have a video of it in motion? Cheers

Not a dumb question... I have not completed the build yet, but what I'm going to do is just completely close the mold with a fiberglass cover, then I'll have the open mold ready to pour... close & Quickly Clamp it shut & Start the Rotocaster... Once done I'll open it up, pull out the casting, & prep for the next casting!
I have seen some people use a plug, that screws in like a bottlecap, so when the casting is done they unscrew it & open the mold, & go on from there...

Pardon my poor engineering-IQ, but how do you rotate both frames at once? I see a handle with gear and chain, how is that hooked up to turn both frames? Do you have a video of it in motion? Cheers
As far as Rotating Both Frames at once, I'm using a Gear assembly I found to make the Outer Frame Rotate the inner Frame, I have not installed it yet because it takes precision & perfect Alignment othwerise it won't work.
My Gear assembly is going to be setup similar to the way this Rotocaster works...
http:// https://youtu.be/ofzg_Hjukzg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back