my custom bio in progress

Lflank

OK, I'm now attempting my first custom bio build, and since I've never worked with clay, ever, and doubt I have the artistry needed to sculpt/cast, I'll be using the cardboard (well, posterboard, actually) and paper mache method. Wish me luck.

I spent the afternoon knocking together a mask. Nothing fancy--just something based on the P1 bio. I was searching yesterday for a printable template to download, and having put a mask together, I now understand why there aren't any--the whole thing requires lots of custom cutting and adjusting and fitting, and the only way to produce a template would be to make an entire mask and then cut it apart--and even then all the rounded shapes would make it hard to produce a flat template. So I ended up just doing the whole thing by eye until I got a shape I liked. Here is what I ended up with:

4911537766_804bb79013.jpg

4910929855_c5d402da77.jpg

Next step is to start doing layers of paper mache. I'll update with new photos as I progress. And if I mess it up, I'll let everyone know how I messed it up, so everyone can avoid repeating any mistakes I make. This is all new to me, so I'm viewing it more or less as a low-cost experiment.

:p

I did the same sort of thing with mine, Did just a few layers of paper mache, then covered it in Cellu-Clay, which is also paper mache, but dries super hard and you can sand it! Pretty sweet stuff!
Yours is looking nice so far!

I did the same sort of thing with mine, Did just a few layers of paper mache, then covered it in Cellu-Clay, which is also paper mache, but dries super hard and you can sand it! Pretty sweet stuff!
Yours is looking nice so far!

First coat of mache is drying (I'm using newspaper dipped in watered-down Elmer's glue).

I was thinking of finishing it off with a layer of Bondo fiberglass, but maybe I'll try the Cellu-Clay instead. Is it a brush-on or a smear-on?

First coat of mache is drying (I'm using newspaper dipped in watered-down Elmer's glue).

I was thinking of finishing it off with a layer of Bondo fiberglass, but maybe I'll try the Cellu-Clay instead. Is it a brush-on or a smear-on?

Kind of either, depending on how thick you make it. When I make mine, I do it with around 1/3 of an lb. of the mix and about 10oz of water, so it's pretty thick, and that way i can smear it on with a pallette knife and sculpt with my hands where needed, and if you use a pallette knife, you can make sharper edges pretty easily by scraping across. will still usually be rough-ish, but like i said and can be sanded!
I have not yet used fiberglass or Bondo, but I'm used to regular art supplies, so I'm fond of paper and glue based materials. Plus once it's done you can coat with more glue to strengthen it some more!

This is what i've done with it so far, sculpting on it not quite done however
0819100224-02.jpg

Kind of either, depending on how thick you make it. When I make mine, I do it with around 1/3 of an lb. of the mix and about 10oz of water, so it's pretty thick, and that way i can smear it on with a pallette knife and sculpt with my hands where needed, and if you use a pallette knife, you can make sharper edges pretty easily by scraping across. will still usually be rough-ish, but like i said and can be sanded!
I have not yet used fiberglass or Bondo, but I'm used to regular art supplies, so I'm fond of paper and glue based materials. Plus once it's done you can coat with more glue to strengthen it some more!

This is what i've done with it so far, sculpting on it not quite done however

Yours is looking good. :p

I've thought I might also finish mine with a couple coats of two-part epoxy. That stuff is really strong, is weatherproof, and might work pretty well.

I dunno. I'm going to be at Disney World next week for vacation, so I'll just put a couple more coats of mache on it this weekend, then decide how I want to finish it when I get back next week.

Mask has now been coated with two-part marine resin, and painted with primer. Wow, the primer makes every little seam, flaw and ding scream out.

4932280565_3b5965b5a3.jpg

4932867798_3578fcb5f1.jpg

4932285461_b632081306.jpg

Next step, joint compound to fill in all the little seams and dings.

OK, the joint compound is dry, another coat of primer, and now the silver undercoat:

4932915951_71e7a183d4.jpg

4933513628_04385082a8.jpg

Next step, weathering with a wash of black paint, then adding the lasersight and some hoses.

Added the lasersight and the air filter.

4946051934_6f1f7fba9b.jpg

4945519895_82198e6f7e.jpg

4945511851_9b436199a7.jpg

Next step is some dreads, but first I want to play around with a few different textures for the dome part and maybe the cheeks.

I'm likin' it so far, considering that it's basically made from posterboard and masking tape.

Sprayed the dome part with some pebble-texture paint, then coated that with silver and weathered it with a little black.

4946016585_b6d4a4577e.jpg

I like the texture contrast. I considered doing part of the cheek pieces the same way, but decided that the bio looks pretty good just the way it is, and I'm happy with it.

Time for some dreads. . . .

hey flank good job making your own. i have one suggestion. is that the toggle switch sticking out the side by your lasers?
i would paint it silver to match your helmet, it would blend in a little bit better. look less like a button

hey flank good job making your own. i have one suggestion. is that the toggle switch sticking out the side by your lasers?
i would paint it silver to match your helmet, it would blend in a little bit better. look less like a button

Yeah. I've been trying to find a smaller switch, too--haven't found any so far.

Nice work, I started paper maché-ing mine last week, I like the air filter you used. Thanks for sharing!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back