My completely weathered Obi ANH saber

Gigatron

Sr Member
Hey gang,

Well, I finally finished weathering this thing to the point where I'm happy with it

Now, on to the pics

Obi15A.jpg

Obi16A.jpg

Obi18A.jpg

Obi19A.jpg

Obi20A.jpg

Obi21A.jpg

Let me know what you think.

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask

Thanks to WC for hosting

-Fred

Great weathering job. How did you get the grenade to look like that?

I'm assuming that's one of Parks' Obi kits so the grenade is steel right?

I have been weathering Parks grenades the last couple of days using cold liquids, but I have not been able to get dark brown rust in the grooves like you have, only some light orange color ... :$
Good job.

Thanks everyone, glad you like it :D..

JediLip and Darth Lars,

The saber is indeed a Parks kit. Here's how I weathered it:

First I sprayed it with some regular tap water and left it out overnight. In the one night it was outside, it had developed some nice rust in the grooves.

After a couple of days of just letting it sit, I took a paper towel and dampened it with with distilled white vinegar (a mild acid). I sprayed some vinegar on to the assembled grenade (body and vane/stem) and then wrapped it in the paper towel. I let it sit for another day. The grenade developed a nice deep orange rust and the vane picked up a nice green patina. I let sit for another day or two just to further the rusting process.

Then, I took my trusty zippo lighter and just roasted the saber like a big metal marshmallow. The soot collected on the grenade assembly, emitter and clamp. Then I took a piece of tissue paper and lightly dabbed to remove some of the soot. Finally I sealed it in a layer of Krylon satin clear coat. Since the Krylon isn't a true clear coat like in automotive use, it can chip and scratch off, letting the actual metal show through.

-Fred

Wow, Gigatron.

No wonder your weathering looks so good. It's authentic weathering.

Thanks for the great tips. :eek

Originally posted by Sporak@Jan 29 2006, 07:36 PM
Great job, Bravo.

Are you going to add the wires and screws?
[snapback]1171078[/snapback]​

There were screws in this thing?

I may add the wire once I get all the authentic replica parts (does that make sense? - Serafino's/PR's booster, RE's pommel and clamp).

BTW, who makes the most accurate grenade or is there one in the works?

And does anyone know if someone's making an exactly accurate emitter?

-Fred

I'm pretty sure I heard that the Serafino/Prop Runner team was tackling the emitter after the boosters are all done...:) Itchy for that, to be sure.

I just got Roman's grenade, and speaking as someone who has owned four real ones, I can say this sucker is great.

Yeah, the emitter is next. We are very much looking forward to that one, and although I can't talk about it in detail, one of our members has scored a HUGE coup with regard to access to internal details, so the accuracy will be total. :D

For an accurate steel grenade, the old Chen is the closest if you can find one. Gabe and I would love to do a full-on totally accurate in every way steel one, but frankly the market is so saturated with them that I'm not sure we can get enough people for a low-priced run even though the accuracy would be dead-on, finally.

But whether or not we can make one, if he has the time we will DEFINE the thing once and for all, and then maybe there can at least be a small (and expensive) run for us die-hards.

The Chen is very good but it's got some issues. I've already lathed the frag bevel to make it more accurate, and modified the groove ends on one to be more like the prop, but it would be great to have a piece that was perfect from the start, with the right windvane sleeve size and shape, the right stem/frag bevels and frag groove size and end shapes...

Originally posted by Serafino@Jan 29 2006, 02:07 PM
But whether or not we can make one, if he has the time we will DEFINE the thing once and for all, and then maybe there can at least be a small (and expensive) run for us die-hards.

Can you give us a ball-park figure of what you consider expensive? Say...to the closest hundred?
$300? $400? $500?...$900?

Originally posted by Serafino@Jan 30 2006, 12:07 AM
Gabe and I would love to do a full-on totally accurate in every way steel one, but frankly the market is so saturated with them that I'm not sure we can get enough people for a low-priced run even though the accuracy would be dead-on, finally.
[snapback]1171232[/snapback]​

I hope that you would consider selling parts.

Originally posted by JediLip+Jan 29 2006, 04:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JediLip @ Jan 29 2006, 04:05 PM)</div>
Can you give us a ball-park figure of what you consider expensive? Say...to the closest hundred?
$300? $400? $500?...$900?
[snapback]1171270[/snapback]​
[/b]

Expensive like more than the Chens were, so past $250. A small run would have to be done in the US most likely and that would easily kick it up past $350. I think I'd throw up my hands if we couldn't do it for less than $450.

But I've had a lot of encouraging PMs, so maybe there's hope for a bigger run. :) When the time comes we will give it a go and see who comes to the party. ;)

<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Lars
@Jan 29 2006, 04:30 PM
I hope that you would consider selling parts.
[snapback]1171288[/snapback]​

I'll have to think about that one. :)

Originally posted by Serafino@Jan 29 2006, 11:13 PM

But I've had a lot of encouraging PMs, so maybe there's hope for a bigger run.  :)  When the time comes we will give it a go and see who comes to the party.  ;)

[snapback]1171491[/snapback]​

I really don't think that will be a problem. Once we get a dead-on steel booster and emitter, who would pass up a steel grenade ...or two? :)

Thanks again, guys :D.

Serafino, based on the 100+ boosters you're about to move, I'd be willing to wager that there would be more than a few people interested in the grenade. Especially if you do a run of emitters.

-Fred

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back