my cold cast Dishonored Overseer mask

NickyD

Hey folks, I have a new mask to share. It's the Overseer mask from the first Dishonored game. The new game (which is super fun!) has a different version of the mask. I may have to make that one too. :)

This is what the finished mask looks like.
dishonored-overseer-mask-progress-sequence-4.jpg

It started as a Pepakura model which I created directly from the 3D game asset. I reinforced that with some bondo to provide the general shape and then sculpted over that using Apoxie Sculpt. I molded it and then made a cold cast using brass powder mixed with Smooth-Cast 300 resin. To weather it, I used a few shades of gray and brown acrylic paint and some water-soluble oils. I also added a mesh material behind the eyes and mouth and an adjustable leather strap which I painted gold using Angelus leather paints.

Here are a few of the progress photos:
dishonored-overseer-mask-pepakura-model.jpg dishonored-overseer-mask-sanding.jpg dishonored-overseer-insignia-engraving.jpg
dishonored-overseer-mask-mold.jpg dishonored-overseer-mask-polished.jpg dishonored-overseer-mask-weathering.jpg

If anyone is interested, I have a full project write-up on my blog:
https://www.modulusprops.com/blog/project-writeup-dishonored-overseer-mask

Attachments

• dishonored-overseer-mask-3.jpg
    dishonored-overseer-mask-3.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Wow that turned out nice! I especially enjoyed the full write-up on your site. I usually don't think much of paper models (feels like cheating), but seeing as how it made such a great template for a custom sculpt/finish, you may have just changed my mind lol.

jwmbot thanks!

Pepakura has worked well for me as a starting point when I'm trying get the overall geometry just right. I think of it as a step in the process, just like clay sculpting or 3D printing.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks fantastic. Whenever I look at other people's cold casts, I like to ask, where did you pour in your resin first?

For me personally, my cold rotocasts are very deep and detailed so I always absolutely have to create a pouring spot for my casts to catch the initial pour.

Jintosh thank you :)

Billy the Hero I just pour the resin in at the lowest point in the mold, I think in this case the chin. Depending on how well the powder adheres to the silicone mold, I've heard sometimes this can dislodge some of the powder resulting in swirls or pour marks, but I've never had an issue with it. I'm using Smooth-On brass powder and Rebound 25 for my mold. I slush the first layer pretty aggressively, too, just to make sure I get everything coated before it gels, and even that doesn't seem to pull the powder off the silicone. At least not that I can tell.

I actually have been looking for an overseer mask for a while to extend my collection (I got the Dishonored 2 Collectors edition with corvo's new one and the old one I had previously but due to a bad cat, it was.... put down) but I found yours on etsy and I will say, if my girlfriend hasn't already bought it, or doesn't buy it for me for christmas, my order will be in soon afterwards. Great job, and I love to see other die hard Dishonored fans, and not just other people hopping on the bandwagon with the new game. Though who can blame them? It's a wonderful game/series. But again, great job and I hope to soon have one of my own!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I got the collectors edition too. I think it was a pretty good deal for all that was included and it goes well with my coins and bone charm. I'm in the process of making 2 Dishonored 2 rune charms and I was thinking maybe replicating the crossbow bolts or a bloodfly...I have a lot of things I want to make. I haven't been able to get very far into the game because I keep taking reference photos, hehe!

@The Schlitzie Thanks!

@KaulinD Cool, I'm glad you like it! I gotta say, every time I play the new game, I see something new I want to build. :)

@The Schlitzie Thanks!

@KaulinD Cool, I'm glad you like it! I gotta say, every time I play the new game, I see something new I want to build. :)
Same, I want to make so much from it. I saw on the bethesda store where they are selling bone charm necklaces that look wondercul, but they are 85$!!! I only spend 80 on the entire colectors edition with Amazon prime, It's just hard to make myself spend that much on only a necklace.... but the collection is calling out for it lol. And If you all ever make any more Dishonored stuff, make it public because I would be very intrested in buying and collecting it lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Awesome finished product and your cold casting worked out really well! I started following your blog and Instagram. Great to see other fellow NW prop makers.

KaulinD That bone charm necklace in the Bethesda store does look pretty great, especially with all that detail. For a handmade metal piece, the price actually isn't too bad! I don't know if I'd attempt anything that small, but if I make more things from the Dishonored universe I'll definitely share them. I just took a bunch of in-game screen captures of the newly styled Overseer mask in the new game. :)

Stivie Thanks! We've got some talented makers up in this corner of the country.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back