My Captain America, Avengers version

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Looch, May 21, 2012.

1. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

While I love my USO Cap, I knew that I would have to up the ante, costume-wise, so I have started the Avengers version. I found some nice canvas whose colour I quite liked. The weave is a bit fine,but it is a good fabric none the less. These are the pants, which I worked on this afternoon. It shows the various pieces that I had to make, the knee pads in place, and the pants which just need the waistband. All in all, I'm happy with them so far!
    Oh, and a good shot of my feet, apparently:lol

2. xMENNENx

xMENNENx New Member

Lookin' good!

3. twinzlol

twinzlol New Member

Definitely watching this thread! May utilize some ideas of yours for my costume!

4. Looch

Thanks, mate-finished the pants last night, but I'm working a lot of extra hours right now, so no updates-hope to sculpt the star and those shoulder thingies this weekend, as well as get a start on the top!

5. Looch

6. Looch

So here is the next update-my gloves came in, and I will pick up leather dye to alter them tmrw. Also, I was working on the sculpt for the shoulder thingys, but it's all wrong! Redoing them tmrw as well!

7. Looch

Okay, so-been working on an outfit for a friend of mine, so not much done to Cap right at the moment. I did re-paint the gloves, though. I think they worked out fairly well, but I'll drop a couple more coats on the leather dye. Plus, I found some fabric that I think works better than the canvas I picked up earlier.

8. P4r4dox86

P4r4dox86 Well-Known Member

What fabric did you find Looch? I'm working on this costume as well and the fabric is currently my main stumbling block.

9. Looch

Originally, I found a simple canvas, nice and soft once I pre-washed it. But the weave was too tight for the best repro. So, I went back and found a nice stretch knit, with a bigger weave. Unfortunately, they didn't write it down on my bill, so I have no name to give you! Maybe these pics will help, but the important things are to get a stretch, match the colour and the weave.

10. P4r4dox86

BLAH! Lol. Ah well. Currently the best weight/weave I've found have been 500D CORDURA Heavy Duty Nylon, but that is not exactly a stretch fabric lol...I can seem to find things that tick 2 or 3 out of 4 boxes, but never 4 out of 4 (4 being stretch, weave, weight and colours). Guess I'll just have to keep looking.

11. Looch

Oh, hey, nice fabric-too bad we can't see more of the weave-any better pics?

12. Looch

Yeah, better pictures would be great, so we could understand the weave!

13. P4r4dox86

Did you meant pics of the Cordura? I could have a look for some, but all the ones I've found have been on fabric selling websites etc. The main problem I can see with the Cordura is the fact that it's a fairly heavy duty fabric, so doesn't have much give in it. I'm still on the lookout for something suitable lol.

14. Looch

No, I was talking to myself! I meant the fabric that I had photographed:lol.I'm going out to that same fabric store this week to get the name, because it has a good weave and they didn't write the name on my bill. Plus, it has a good stretch. I'm going to use the canvas I originally picked up as the lining, and the stretch as the main body of the piece.

15. P4r4dox86

Lol! Oh ok :p. If/When you get the name, make sure you post it here please so I can go looking for suppliers in Australia!

16. MadHatter250

MadHatter250 New Member

i'm liking this so so far! what are you going to do as far as boots, gauntlets, and helmet?

17. jolive

jolive Active Member

Looch dont forget about this thread!

18. Looch

Okay, been a while since I've had anything to add to this thread(been doing some other work for clients), but I'm finally back to it! So, I ordered a pair of Cap boots online(you've probably seen them), but they weren't quite good enough, so I tweaked them with pleather and elastic. I couldn't find the proper elastic, so I bought the one shown and gathered it. I think they turned out quite well! Oh, sorry about the pins, just gotta attach the pleather bits!

19. Looch

Next up, working on the belt-haven't added the waistband to the pants yet!

20. CapKaos

CapKaos Well-Known Member

This is looking great! Can't wait to see this finished!=)

21. TelnetCarlos

TelnetCarlos Member

Looking good. Hard work will pay off

22. rockeagle2001

rockeagle2001 Well-Known Member

wow it all looks great man!

23. Bountys Hunted

Bountys Hunted Well-Known Member

Looking ab-so-lute-ly Stellar!!! Just simply outstanding! GREAT mods to the boots too!

24. Looch

Thanks, mate, I'm really happy with the boots-I knew they were gonna look cheesy when they arrived, but I think the mods have worked!

25. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

26. Looch

Yeah,
    Good mask for sure-there is at least one other guy who picked this one up, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on just a mask. I'm gonna try to sculpt/cast one while I cast the silver shoulder thingys, and see how it looks. Thanks tho, for sure!

27. Looch

Boots, you can see. Started the gloves earlier in the thread, and constructing the gauntlets the same way as the boots. Gonna sculpt the helmet and cast it in rubber!

28. Shellhead

Shellhead Active Member

Looch--awesome job so far!
    I have the exact same boots and was mulling over how I was going to upgrade them. Your approach is fantastic!
    Keep it up!

29. Looch

Okay, belt pouches are made, just gotta attach the clips-I've made them out of Skulpey, and will glue them in place, as the pouches close with velro.

30. Looch

Okay,
    Started my mask build today-here is the beginnings, very rough-I'll post as the sculpt progresses.

31. Looch

And the initial smoothing-now to clean my kitchen, have a shower and go to work. More progress tmrw.

32. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

A true sculpt. Nice. Should be a perfect fit without hotspots right from the start.
    Are you going to pull a mold from it and then cast your final in urethane or fiberglass?

33. Looch

Yah know,
    I'm thinking of casting it in urethane-I think it'll be more comfortable, and less likely to break the morning of Comic-con! Plus, the way the Chitauri pulls it off of Chris Evans in the bank hostage scene makes it look more rubbery.

34. Looch

Oh,
    And I forgot to say thank you for this compliment-I don't always get any comments on my work, so it's really empowering to get such praise-thanks!

35. firebapx

firebapx Well-Known Member

i really love this build its amazing your extremely talented. iv been wanting to get my self a captain america costume together for a whyle and youv inspired me to go for it. im getting a good sewing machine of my girlfreinds dad tomarrow and i think ill try this as my first project any advice you could give me would be very much apreachated as i would greatly value your advice. also do you have sewing patters for the troushers ?

36. Looch

Hey,
    thanks very much for the praise-very glad you like what I'm doing, and glad to inspire. For the pants, I used McCalls pattern 4745, a Civil war men's pattern. Honestly, as long as the pattern isn't for anything too baggy, you should be fine. But for a lot of my men's work, I use this pattern. I used it to great effect for my Red Skull costume earlier this year. Just follow what I did at the beginning of this thread, you will see the pieces I made. Now, as far as any advice I can give, the most important is this: learn how to read a pattern. I had been using my gf's aunt's machine for a while and finally decided to take a night school sewing course. At the end of the day my teacher told me that I didn't need to learn how to sew, just how to read a pattern. So learn that before you start such a build. This costume has got a lot of weirdness to it, the jacket especially, which is why I am starting on the helmet-I'm scared! Anyway, any questions, just ask-thanks again!

37. firebapx

firebapx Well-Known Member

can you post me a download link to the pattern please ?

38. Looch

A bit more work on the mask.

39. Looch

40. Looch

And more detail-I might be happy with this, apart from a bit more smoothing.

41. Trademarked

Trademarked Member

Looks good so far keep truckin!

42. Looch

And the helmet, finished. Gonna find the time to cast it this week, and order the star as well from 4th Wall Designs.

43. Looch

Okay, the star is ordered-4th Wall won't do Cap's shoulder thingies till October, so I'll have to do those myself, but hopefully I will cast the helmet this week-already getting orders for it!

44. CaptainMarvel

CaptainMarvel Well-Known Member

PLEASE TAKE LOTS OF PICS of the casting process - start to finish !!!

Even better ... VIDEO !! :D

I have been searching and searching for a step-by-step "how to" video on YouTube for sculpting/casting for just this kind of thing ... haven't had much luck finding anything.

Either way, very much enjoying reading your progress.

45. Looch

Very glad you like my work! I enjoy doing it, for sure. I'll try to do a video!

46. Looch

Okay, the waiting begins-hopefully, I can pull the mold off tmrw and it will be clean. Otherwise, it's back to the sculpting board, as it were.

47. Spiderman1962

Spiderman1962 New Member

This is gonna be great!

48. Looch

Okay, showing the bad with the good. As I thought, a bit too many undercuts to my sculpt. So, gonna make the mold a two piece, side to side. Let's try this again!

49. jolive

jolive Active Member

I bought one of the rubber Ebay masks but was too big for me will be posting in the jy soon...so there's a back up plan lol Kinda makes me wish I would've invested in the materials to cast my own like yours, a video would be helpful. But your build is coming along... great to see you picking it back up!

50. CaptainMarvel

CaptainMarvel Well-Known Member

PLEASE take LOTS OF PICS of the WHOLE PROCESS !!!

I am certain I am not alone in saying that I am learning so much from seeing how others work through the sculpting/molding/casting process - especially via as many pictures as possible detailing the process is immeasurably helpful and educational. :)

Even better .... if you can get a buddy to capture various stages of the process ON VIDEO - especially as you sculpt the helmet, create the mold and pour the cast - what an amazing educational resource it would be for so many.

(I figure it never hurts to ask/suggest, right?) :popcorn