My Cap WS Stealth Shield

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by jschlosser, Jun 17, 2015.

1. jschlosser

jschlosser Active Member

Alrighty, I already have a Cap TFA shield so I thought it was time to make myself a stealth one. I got my blank from Rolo and it's 26" was what I got since my other shield is 26" too. I got my star from Valor and he makes the best stars.. love his stuff.

Once I saw the one they had on display at comic con I knew I would have to make one.
    [​IMG]

So I wiped down the back, front and star all down with acetone before I started.

Here's a pict of my blank and start blue taped to it:
    [​IMG]

I then traced the star on a piece of paper and cut it out smaller than the actual star. Next I taped it on to the shield and traced it.
    [​IMG]

Nexted I taped off the inside of the star and 1st circle to be ready for the dark blue inner circle
    [​IMG]

next I cut out the inner cirlce with an exacto knife and tape off the rest of the shield so it was ready to paint
    [​IMG]

I laid down about 4 light coats of the metallic blue and then a few more coats to get the color I wanted
    [​IMG]

I let it sit to dry and then pulled the tape and taped and cut everything to lay down the light blue
    [​IMG]

taped the back all up to keep it clean as well
    [​IMG]

will hit with the light blue next!

2. jschlosser

jschlosser Active Member

alright back at the shield. I let the dark blue dry for a day.

Here I hit it with the light blue metallic paint
    [​IMG]

I had some issues with the painting, of the paint globbing up at the spout so I just had to spray in one prolonged coat a few times
    [​IMG]

I let it cook in the sun and then peeled the tape
    [​IMG]

after it dried for few hours I went for the star. I used jb weld on the shield and start and stuck/taped it to the shield while applying pressure with my hand
    [​IMG]

pulled the tape after it dried a few hours
    [​IMG]

the blue looks a little darker here b/c of the lighting, the light blue is actually lighter
    [​IMG]

next I decide on semi gloss or gloss or even matte to finish it off.. well that and the brackets..

3. Spartan01

Spartan01 Member

Hi mate that looks very good , I also have a Rolo shield with Valors star & handles and am seriously thinking about doing the stealth , could you tell me what blue you used for the rings ? As I understand it's a difficult one to match ? And here in the UK we have the added problem of finding dupli colour , you just can't get it!
    Cheers

4. jschlosser

jschlosser Active Member

Hi,

Thanks. I went with dupli for both blues the dark and the light blue metallic, I can take a picture of the can, but if you can't get it there, the I dunno. I had a hard time gettting a perfect match so I asked others what they used and they pointed me to the light blue metallic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00407V3KA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

my brackets are part valor part other. I just couldn't afford his set and they are soooo think. so I had some machined from 1/16" aluminum and they work out wonderfully.

5. Spartan01

Spartan01 Member

That's great thanks , here in the UK we have translucent paint with the name VHT , the red & blue are what most used on our shields as it's fairly close.

6. CPTRogers

CPTRogers Well-Known Member

EXTREMELY NICE! I took some light steel wool to the paint to give it that worn spun look like in the picture.

7. VinXero

VinXero Active Member

Very nice! I like the vertical mount you created for spraying. Did you wetsand the paint before clear coating? Mine is rough and I think I'm going to hit it with 2000/2500 then clear.

8. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

From that pic at the top, I'm thinking a satin or matte clear coat. It doesn't look shiny enough for gloss. Looking awesome :)

9. CPTRogers

CPTRogers Well-Known Member

Deff use a matte clearcoat. The stealth shield is supposed to be subdued, not shiny.

10. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hah... that whole "stealth" part of the stealth suit would imply not shiny, wouldn't it? :)

11. jschlosser

jschlosser Active Member

ohh that's a great idea wish I knew that before I cleared it.. lol

12. jschlosser

jschlosser Active Member

so I was going to semi gloss clear it since I didn't think it was totally matte.

I have another tfa shield that is glosses and I'll display them together.. so I just went ahead and just glossed it.
    [​IMG]

I'm very happy how it came out.. I guess I like really shiny things.. lol.. here is it with my other shield as I work on the brackets.
    [​IMG]

here are my brackets.. from a local cnc guy, straps and hardware from ebay and the those pices that connect the straps from from Valor.
    [​IMG]

I use 1/16" aluminum for the brackets b/c of the weight and they are super super easy to install into the shield.

I use the scotch double stick extreme mountain tape and it's been rock solid for me. I use almost 2 rolls for 1 shield.
    [​IMG]

It's pretty much done. Not sure if i'll wet sand it, or just wax it so it's more shiny.. lol...

- - - Updated - - -

agreed, but I just couldn't help myself , but I can always go back and matte it if I want to as well.