My C3PO / Protocol building adventures (and other props)

Mulbin

Update - My latest pic! Scroll down for more details.

IMG_2115.JPEG

3po.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-16 at 09.32.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-16 at 09.32.24.jpeg

QkelrDy.jpg
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and thought it was time I shared some of my progress making my first Star Wars props. I've been focussing on protocol droids, but have started some other bits I'll share later.

Here is my recently completed silver protocol. This is finished using Alclad paint , it's a few days work to get a good finish but it really saves cash (total chroming cost for this helmet about $5).

n5KIKcl.jpg

AglZWKF.jpg

agbzAx1.jpg

The head is fiberglass from ebay (possibly from a cast of a Don Post statue?) but I am 3D printing all other parts (including my own eye design...the ones it came with were wrong), as well as a printed head I have been experimenting with in a more wearable size.

Some of the other bits in their current state...

HH07VaY.jpg

PZQwMOS.jpg

Tinting using Gordon Tarpley's food colouring method - mixed results!
YbEdeJN.jpg

xZjMm7t.jpg

IGtkE1x.jpg

I'll add more pics and updates as things progress!

Last edited:
Exactly what color of alclad paint did you use? I've got a 3po head coming and I've been trying to figure out an easy way to get a chrome it without spending a fortune. The finish on yours looks like it turned out great.

Exactly what color of alclad paint did you use? I've got a 3po head coming and I've been trying to figure out an easy way to get a chrome it without spending a fortune. The finish on yours looks like it turned out great.

It’s ALC-107 Chrome over a base coat of plasticote gloss grey enamel spray can. Alclad is completely dpendant on how reflective the base coat is. Don’t bother with alclads own base coats they are a nightmare to work with.

I recommend watching Gordon Tarpleys tutorials. Happy to answer any questions if you get stuck as Gordon doesn’t quite cover everything.

Making progress with tinting the alclad. This is using Gordon Tarpley’s method mixing yellow and red food colouring with gloss artists varnish. The trick seems to be to gradually build up layers. I’m on about 10 thin coats so far, looks a little paler in real life.

Did you brush it on like Gordon Tarpley does or did you spray it?
Sorry, just spotted this! I brush it on, in many, many thin layers, letting each dry in between. I've tried spraying before but found that it pooled a little so you get an uneven colour due to the surface tension, edges/grooves stay silver.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back