My Builds: The growing of an eclectic collection

Here is my current project, it is going to be an Imperial Officer Field Cap with googles.

IMG_2868.jpg
solo-star-wars-story-props-hollywood-studios-launch-bay-06022018-34.jpg

Years ago I bought a Museum Replicas Officer cap for no other reason than some place had marked them down on sale. I think the shape and material is not very accurate but I thought it might make a decent display piece. I decided to make it look like the type worn by Beckett in Solo.

I have to yet decided if the finished project will be clean or dirty.

I found a guy who made 3D prints of the strap attachment. I decided to go with the 3D print because it is cheaper than buying the other goggles that had the piece I need, I also do not have to trip the parts, and the person made them with an excellent attachment method. I have removed the the Russian tanker/aviation goggles original strap and added the 3D printed attachment points. I need to paint the clips and possibly the rubber part of the goggles. I also need to make up a new strap using the white band material and I also plan to make thin plates for the top and bottom of the lenses. i plan to cut them from thin plastic sheet and paint silver.

Looks great MJF!!
If you are referring to the start of the project, then thanks.

But..

If you are referring to the bottom image, that is of the real prop. I can tell you that based on my progress so far, mine will not look that good. The goggles are looking great but the Museum Replicas hat I am using is so inaccurate, it not doing the project any justice.

IMG_2869.JPG

For the goggles, I still need to add the panels to the lenses.

I was going blacken the hat disk but since the hat is not working, I want to alter the product in the event I can resell it later to someone who might have a use for it.

As you can see. The crown of the hat is no where as tall as it needs to be. Also, I think I would have to make custom form for the hat fo proper display. A simple stand or head shape is not working. Especially with the strap. If the strap is tight, it puckers, if not, the googles droop.

Here is an update. I trimmed up the gasket. I also did a black wash on everthing to give it a little more of a used look. I am not happy with my panels. They are not fitting as I hoped.

714B287D-E7EB-40DB-B568-F5BA1D420C1C.jpeg

Last edited:
If you are referring to the start of the project, then thanks.

But..

If you are referring to the bottom image, that is of the real prop. I can tell you that based on my progress so far, mine will not look that good. The goggles are looking great but the Museum Replicas hat I am using is so inaccurate, it not doing the project any justice.

View attachment 1019172

For the goggles, I still need to add the panels to the lenses.

I was going blacken the hat disk but since the hat is not working, I want to alter the product in the event I can resell it later to someone who might have a use for it.

As you can see. The crown of the hat is no where as tall as it needs to be. Also, I think I would have to make custom form for the hat fo proper display. A simple stand or head shape is not working. Especially with the strap. If the strap is tight, it puckers, if not, the googles droop.

I was talking about the part collecting. I know by the time your done it will be a mirror imagine

Nothing really to update. Just wanted to take an image with the goggles on the hat. I’m working with someone who is going to try to 3D print the panels for the lenses as I was not pleased with mine were going.

7DD35A93-8DB7-4053-A5B0-715F417617D3.jpeg

Last edited:
My spot came up and I finally got my Imperial Field Knife (based on solo concept art) from sketcherdan.

I started talking about it a few months ago when I got a head start on the deluxe brass medallions. See here: My Builds: R1 Rebel Helmet, Jyn Doll, Ahsoka Hilts, Rey Staff, Necklace, etc

So here is the great looking box it all came in.

fullsizeoutput_30c6.jpeg

Here is what is inside (minus the bubble wrap. Yum... candy too.

IMG_2951.JPG

Here are the main pieces. I purchased optional services of having the beveled edge added and sanding the grip so that I did not have to bother with the general resin clean up and seam. I consider both services well worth it.

IMG_2952.JPG

Here is a comparison of the resin medallion that came with the kit (I'll hang on to them as I might need them for something in the future) and the solid brass version that was an optional purchase via Shapeways.com. Go to my above link to see the weathering info I did on these.

fullsizeoutput_30c7.jpeg

The recommendation was to paint the handle. I decided to go another way. Since the Star Wars universe utilizes plastics such as plastiod for armor, I didn't mind if the handle came off with a plastic look. I used a rubbing compound to clean it up.

fullsizeoutput_30c8.jpeg

The next step was to apply black paint and a black wash to give the handle a used weathered look. I did not want this knife to look new nor did I look abused. I wanted it to look like a knife that had seen it's share of action. Maybe something a Rebel took as a souvenir and is now using themselves.

fullsizeoutput_30c9.jpeg

I sanded the metal parts as to prep them for finishing. I wanted to get as much grind marks out of the cutting edge as possible. I also needed to take a very little off the tang to get the guard on.

fullsizeoutput_30cc.jpeg

I completely covered the blade and guard with Aluminum Black using several steps of applying, washing, wiping, and repeating. I then wet sanded the the edges, and the blade to expose the metal. This helped give it a worn look and also made the blade details pop. The exposed edges is in homage to Rambo'a knife in Rambo: First Blood Part II.

fullsizeoutput_30d2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_30d1.jpeg

The kit was very nicely done. As soon as I got it from the mailman, I could not stop working on it. I have a display idea but it might be a couple months till that is achieved.

Last edited:
Remarkable prop, it came from concept art? It fits in with the Mauser, retro industrial concept so well

Remarkable prop, it came from concept art? It fits in with the Mauser, retro industrial concept so well

I usually stay away from non canon and/or concept prop replicas just because I have to maintain some control over my collection but this prop really spoke to me. Maybe because it just stands out among blasters and lightsabers. Maybe because it reminds me of a Marine kbar. Not sure, just knew I wanted it and I knew I would have fun putting my own spin on finishing it.

My spot came up and I finally got my Imperial Field Knife (based on solo concept art) from sketcherdan.

I started talking about it a few months ago when I got a head start on the deluxe brass medallions. See here: My Builds: R1 Rebel Helmet, Jyn Doll, Ahsoka Hilts, Rey Staff, Necklace, etc

So here is the great looking box it all came in.

View attachment 1028609

Here is what is inside (minus the bubble wrap. Yum... candy too.

View attachment 1028610

Here are the main pieces. I purchased optional services of having the beveled edge added and sanding the grip so that I did not have to bother with the general resin clean up and seam. I consider both services well worth it.

View attachment 1028611

Here is a comparison of the resin medallion that came with the kit (I'll hang on to them as I might need them for something in the future) and the solid brass version that was an optional purchase via Shapeways.com. Go to my above link to see the weathering info I did on these.

View attachment 1028612

The recommendation was to paint the handle. I decided to go another way. Since the Star Wars universe utilizes plastics such as plastiod for armor, I didn't mind if the handle came off with a plastic look. I used a rubbing compound to clean it up.

View attachment 1028613

The next step was to apply black paint and a black wash to give the handle a used weathered look. I did not want this knife to look new nor did I look abused. I wanted it to look like a knife that had seen it's share of action. Maybe something a Rebel took as a souvenir and is now using themselves.

View attachment 1028614

I sanded the metal parts as to prep them for finishing. I wanted to get as much grind marks out of the cutting edge as possible. I also needed to take a very little off the tang to get the guard on.

View attachment 1028615

I completely covered the blade and guard with Aluminum Black using several steps of applying, washing, wiping, and repeating. I then wet sanded the the edges, and the blade to expose the metal. This helped give it a worn look and also made the blade details pop. The exposed edges is in homage to Rambo'a knife in Rambo: First Blood Part II.

View attachment 1028616View attachment 1028617

The kit was very nicely done. As soon as I got it from the mailman, I could not stop working on it. I have a display idea but it might be a couple months till that is achieved.

I love the glossy look of the handle and that black blade is simply amazing! Nice work. And the emblems look great of course.

I was able to dust off the goggle project with thanks to wtyler3 for 3D printing the last pieces i needed to go on the lenses.

Here you can see the 5 pieces i received today. I forgot to take picture before I painted them.

0A438A04-E9FE-4F58-B4DC-96625097092C_1_201_a.jpeg

Here they are installed...

EE7E712E-4ACE-49C7-85B6-5B1521DAA0EF_1_201_a.jpeg

For the most part, the build of the goggle component is complete. Once I get the hat, I will probably do a final weathering to complete the overall look.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back