My Builds: The growing of an eclectic collection

Re: Yavin Medal added - Builds: Many Blasters and More

Here is a project I wanted to do for a while. It a Yavin Medal that came with the Museum Replica Luke Ceremonial Jacket. I sold the jacket but kept the medal.

Not a major project but I wanted to swap out the ugly nylon strap and replace it with the accurate British uniform wool tie.

Before:
View attachment 557285

After:
View attachment 557286

So what color tie is SA? There appears to be khaki and stone available. How do you get the nylon one out and the tie put in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what color tie is SA? There appears to be khaki and stone available. How do you get the nylon one out and the tie put in?

Khaki is the color you want.

It's basically in there with hot glue. Pull really hard. You might have to use a narrow flathead screwdriver to break it loose.

i also recommend gluing together the ends of the tie and so you get it at the correct angle and width and also cut it flat. So fit rests inside the metal at the bottom of the inset.

Khaki is the color you want.

It's basically in there with hot glue. Pull really hard. You might have to use a narrow flathead screwdriver to break it loose.

i also recommend gluing together the ends of the tie and so you get it at the correct angle and width and also cut it flat. So fit rests inside the metal at the bottom of the inset.

Additionally...

I first tried to use hot glue to attach the new strap but there was not a lot of working time in order to properly place the ends. I used gorilla glue instead. If you have not used it, you dampen the points of attachment and the glue dries into a adhesive foam. It gives you plenty of time to get the end where you want them.

I'm finally getting back to my R1 Rebel Soldier Helmet. I stopped working on it till a better solution to my helmet torch issue presented itself. I finally found a 3D file on the net that looked like a good solution. I had wanted to fit a small existing penlight into a 3D printed casing. The gentlemen I reached out to was very helpful and offered a new redesign and insight to the penlight he utilized to build his model. If you are interested, you can find his info here: http://cannysgambit.blogspot.co.nz/2017/12/rogue-one-torch-simple-shell-to-fit.html

Here is what I have:

IMG_1322.JPGIMG_1323.JPG

I am hoping to find a suitable inset nut and set screw that I can install to hold the penlight in place and make it easy to remove to change batteries.

You will also note that the design allows for a wire retaining device like the actual prop. However I am going to utilize the magnet installation device I came up with in previous posts. I like it because it keeps the item in place and secure but also allows quick placement and removal.

I opted to print the torch in the polished aluminum plastic. My hopes was to utilize the coloring for easy weathering. Hopefully a simple black coat, some strategic wet sanding, and some additional paint weathering will give me the look I am trying to achieve.

Finished it.

For now I simply drill and tapped the sleeve. Will probably strip after a few battery changes. I'l probably need to drill and tap the the body of the flashlight too at some point.

What I really wanted was a 3D print was a two piece body that you could slide in the flashlight, then screw on the back end to hold it in place. But beggars can't be choosers.

IMG_1332.JPGIMG_1331.JPGIMG_1330.JPGIMG_1329.JPG

MDF I think you’ll get a kick out of this!

Remember when we were looking for the TFA gold dice and going back and forth about the visual dictionary dice

And there was that eBay seller who swore production bought dice from him?!?!

He wasn’t lying!!!

In the documentary and a Jedi, they show the eBay dice, and when the scene cuts back he is holding the correct dice with alien symbols on them!

Check this out!! Big circle for #1
4ab996a39d35d6263b78b623e83fd372.jpg

MDF I think you’ll get a kick out of this!

Remember when we were looking for the TFA gold dice and going back and forth about the visual dictionary dice

And there was that eBay seller who swore production bought dice from him?!?!

He wasn’t lying!!!

In the documentary and a Jedi, they show the eBay dice, and when the scene cuts back he is holding the correct dice with alien symbols on them!

Check this out!! Big circle for #1
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180328/4ab996a39d35d6263b78b623e83fd372.jpg

That's pretty interesting considering that he sold them for use on the TFA production and that all photographic evidence showed that they did not utilize them for the movie. The only good shots of TFA dice I know of is the Visual Guide and the Vanity Fair cover show dice with a completely different type of dot layout that do not match the eBay dice.

That's pretty interesting considering that he sold them for use on the TFA production and that all photographic evidence showed that they did not utilize them for the movie. The only good shots of TFA dice I know of is the Visual Guide and the Vanity Fair cover show dice with a completely different type of dot layout that do not match the eBay dice.

There’s the deleted scene where han takes the dice out of his pocket and hangs it back up in the falcon, those dice look like the vanity fair dice

I just found it cool that the eBay seller wasn’t lying and that production really bought some from him

Figured I’d share with you because you and I were dice crazy when TFA came out ;)

Finally after having these photomultiplier dynode plates that @jme3 so graciously gave to me back in 2011 when I was hoping to scratch build one of these detonators. I am finally putting them to good use. I had this replica for almost as long but the grills on the side were casting of the pieces instead of real found parts. I finally decide to give it an upgrade and add the parts.

IMG_2041.jpg

Thanks again to @jme3 for the parts.

IMG_2041.jpg

Last edited:
My next build (when I get the time as work had me busy during the week and as a result, too tired to do anything on the weekend) is the A New Hope version of the DH-17 blaster. The main body is from @Jedifather which IMHO is awesome.

IMG_2042.jpg

I am still in the process of clean up. Not a lot to do but I need time to do it

As you can see I have some parts already, The scope and rings, parts for the side and grip. I now need something that will work as conduit tubing along the sides of the scope rail. I also need a way to attach the scope to the scope rail. Based on images I have seen, it looks like its just two pieces of Tactical rail sloppily glued in place. I'd like something that is a little more pleasant to look at.

The other thing I want to do is get a short piece of metal or plastic tubing that I can used for the inner barrel and the little bit that sticks out.

IMG_2042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
attachment.jpg
A little afternoon project.

I found this 3D printed case on Etsy that was made for @TB-7021 Sabacc cards. He did a custom mod for me since I have the 4th run which is 3mm thinner.

It's an interesting case because the design is embossed in the design. I covered it with paper from a brown paper lunch bag, did a base brown coat and then hand rubber gold, black and bronze acrylics over the surface. I finished it off with some sand paper to beat it up a bit.

IMG_2073.jpg

328EDB0A-B18F-439D-83BB-5398E41BECEA.jpeg
Most of my recent props I’ve acquired have been prebuilt. I’ve not had the desire to get into anything too involved. However I did pick up Trooper_trent Solo Story Conveyex Train Key. Not too complicated. I think it turned out pretty good. I decided to sand and polish the main body as opposed to painting.

Last edited:
I am about to acquire a new project very soon so I thought I would start tracking my progress.

I am getting Limited Run - Imperial Field Knife | Solo Concept (metal)

01FEB8CF-0A22-4D42-92B0-B47E02A26B55.jpeg

It is an Imperial Field Knife based on concept art for Solo. I am still waiting for my place in the run to come up but it should be soon.

Although they will come with resin cast insignia, it was set up so that you could acquire upgraded brass insignia via Shapeways. I bought the unpolished brass since I want to go with an overall weathered version. I am aging the brass using Aluminum Black. The image below shows the before and after of the chemical weathering.

fullsizeoutput_2fef.jpeg

I'm very excited about working on this project.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back