My Builds: The growing of an eclectic collection

Re: LEIA ADDED! Blasters on the bench: Greedo, DL-18, GK, Droid, E-11, DH-17 more

Yes, I still need to trim the ends. The coil count is correct. I will be using the coil as seen in this image was my guide:

DDCdefanh.gif

Note that it appears you can see each cut end. At the top on the left side and and the bottom of the right side.

Re: LEIA ADDED! Blasters on the bench: Greedo, DL-18, GK, Droid, E-11, DH-17 more

Looking awesome.

Do you need to trim the ends of the coil to "align" with the last coil edge or is this how it is on the original prop??

I got my gun and original parts from the link here and my coil from IP so I need to get to work.

I think I am gonna get a second one for ROTJ Leia as well.

Cheap awesome looking prop.

I also studied this Rubies against the MR and the real gun and I wish Rubies had fixed the few tiny, tiny flaws from the MR.

I am gonna add the mag release lever (I assume that's what it is) as well.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Cheap :)

Well let's see the build!

Gotta re-read this whole thread down the line. Looking to make a cheap, but somewhat accurate version to mount under the Carrie Fisher picture I had signed. (Oh and THAT is a story... weirdest 70 dollars I ever spent).

Well don't leave us hangin! I love a good story, & I've always wanted to meet Carrie Fisher. Talk about an interesting life.

Well let's see the build!

Gotta re-read this whole thread down the line. Looking to make a cheap, but somewhat accurate version to mount under the Carrie Fisher picture I had signed. (Oh and THAT is a story... weirdest 70 dollars I ever spent).

Yeah, lets here it.

I have not started on my build yet.

First a black primer coat. I can't stand this ridiculous orange and white look.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna add the few tiny details MR missed in addition to the mag release. :D

Tell my story! Well okay! (I've told my buddies that since it cost me $70 bucks, I'm getting mileage out of this... good story or not)

So I went to Vancouver Fan Expo SPECIFICALLY because Carrie was going to be there. I wanted to get a signed pic of her for my "Movie themed basement bar".

I had heard it would be 60 bucks, which seemed ridiculous, but I figured it would be worth it if I could get "Help me Ellery, You're my only hope" or something. Sure. Why not?

So I got to Fan expo early and got in line with my buddy. HE just wanted to meet her.

Just before she came out (which was way after everyone) it was announced that it would be 70 dollars a signature, and you could only get her name, or your name, and no personalized quotes. But for the $70 you can choose a free 8X10.

I asked the girl if I heard right, she said I had. I was a little mystified. I asked her, "Why would I get her to sign JUST my name?" and "Why would I pay $70 to get JUST her name? I can buy that in the store, and even then, I wouldn't pay $70"

So I jumped out of line, and went to check out the rest of the expo.

Later that afternoon we ran into another girl who had a doll signed, with her name AND Carries. My friend immediately pushed to go back "There's hardly a line! What's 70 bucks!? We can meet Princess Leia!"

'Fine.

So we got back in line and as we got to the front one of her crew sitting next to her asks me, "Name?"

"Ellery"

"You brought your own pic?"

"Yup... but I'll take the free 8X10 just for the heck of it."

The guy takes my pic and puts a note with my name on it, and pushes it to the side.

"You can't have one. Only those with no pics get the free one"

I was a bit confused "Explain how this works... I get brought a pic, so I get LESS for my money?"

As this was happening, Carrie grabs my photo. I look over and although she's been signing EVERY pic with a silver ink pen, she closes her pen and pulls out a blue one. (I had my own silver ink pen with me)

I see this and abruptly end my discussion of 8X10's.

"wait wait wait!..."

Carrie has already started writing on the photo. She stops and looks at me.

"Never mind"

She asks "No what is it..."

"Oh no biggie...was just going to ask you to sign in silver, but don't worry about it."

"How about this..."

She closes the blue pen, and grabs her silver, starts writing again...

"No you can keep going in blue.."

Too late... she hands it back...

At this point, my friend who's been waiting all day to meet her says, "Hey Carrie... It's so cool to-"

And we are SHOVED away by security.

We both stood at the side in shock, like the kids after seeing Santa in "A Christmas Story" Me looking at my oddly signed photo... my friend moping "I didn't even get to finish my sentence..." This all happened in like 20 seconds.

MEANWHILE next to us was Shatner...

We talked to people who met him for signings... he talked up everyone... He signed the one guys pic "Set Phasers to FUN! You're Pal, Bill. - May the force be with you"

Carrie was so on autopilot she would probably continue signing the table itself if her people didn't tell her she was finished.

Anyway, here's the pic!

Love, Ellery Fisher.

20110988671_8e6d44dc0f_c.jpg

Still... fun day... Just an awkward moment.

Bill Cosby is an evil serial rapist, Princess Leia is less than polite, William Shatner is super nice and Jared of Subway looks at evil stuff on the internet. The world is truly upside down.

Here's my Fisher autograph story:

I sent $68 and a 11x14 photo to Official Pix... End of story.

i actually prefer not to meet celebrities when possible when dealing with autographs,

Download-File

I'm usually not one for autographs or buying signed things... So it was funny that the one time I pay to get something signed it's super awkward.

Finally got around to finishing my Rubies mod...

IMG_2497.JPG IMG_2500.JPG

Rubies top, MR bottom
IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg
IMG_2506.JPG IMG_2510.JPG

Here is what I did:

• Added weight to the barrel and grip
  • Replaced muzzle with a casting of an accurate version
  • Replaced grill with Tomtit piece
  • Replaced coil with actual and more accurate coiled cord
  • Fixed seams
  • Main body painted flat black with graphite powder rubbed and sealed
  • Grips painted gloss black
  • Section under coil painted gloss black
  • Body black washed
  • Painted the cut ends of the coil black. I know it may not be screen accurate but I found the visible color wire ends very distracting.

This was the first time I used the graphite powder. I used it because I did not want to use just black on the body. I wanted something that made the body look like metal without having to weather it. It may not be accurate but it helps with realism when you look at it. I am not sure if the photos do it justice.

The gloss black was used on the grips to look like accurate plastic grips. I also used gloss black on the section under the coil so that the coil would blend.

I used and black acrylic wash on the body so that recessed areas, creases, nooks, and crannies would pop a bit more. It is very subtle but it helps hide the fact that all the little details and body are molded in one piece.

Very happy how it turned out

Last edited:

Looks fantastic,

I love the pic next to the MR be hard pushed to say which was the expensive prop & which is the $12 toy

great build, are you going to do the ROTJ next?

Fi ally got around to finishing my Rubies mod...

View attachment 511901 View attachment 511902

Rubies top, MR bottom
View attachment 511903

View attachment 511904
View attachment 511905 View attachment 511906

Here is what I did:

• Added weight to the barrel and grip
  • Replaced muzzle with a casting of an accurate version
  • Replaced grill with Tomtit piece
  • Replaced coil with actual and more accurate coiled cord
  • Fixed seems
  • Main body painted flat black with graphite powder rubbed and sealed
  • Grips painted gloss black
  • Section under coil painted gloss black
  • Body black washed

This was the first time I used the graphite powder. I used it because I did not want to use just black on the body. I wanted something that made the body look like metal without having to weather it. It may not be accurate but it helps with realism when you look at it. I am not sure if the photos do it justice.

The gloss black was used on the grips to look like accurate plastic grips. I also used gloss black on the section under the coil so that the coil would blend.

I used and black acrylic wash on the body so that recessed areas, creases, nooks, and crannies would pop a bit more. It is very subtle but it helps hide the fact that all the little details and body are molded in one piece.

Very happy how it turned out

How exactly do you do the graphite rub and what did you use to seal it?

Thanks

Tom

Looks fantastic,

I love the pic next to the MR be hard pushed to say which was the expensive prop & which is the $12 toy

great build, are you going to do the ROTJ next?

Thank you.

I am going to do the Return of the Jedi version soon but it will not be a Rubies mod. It is going to be a cast of a real Margolin I bought from Odiwan72.

attachment.php

How exactly do you do the graphite rub and what did you use to seal it?

I'm not sure how most people do it, but here is how I did it:
  • Base coat of flat black.
  • Used a disposable small foam head paint brush to rub on the graphite powder till you get a nice luster (a little powder goes a long way).
  • Spray on protective coat. I believe you can use a standard clear coat but I had a spray on matte craft sealer from the local craft store. It is good for lots of things like pastel artwork. I liked using it a lot.

Attachments

• DSCF7432.JPG
    DSCF7432.JPG
    789.2 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:

Thank you.

I am going to do the Return of the Jedi version soon but it will not be a Rubies mod. It is going to be a cast of a real Margolin I bought from Odiwan72.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=511957&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1436032788

I'm not sure how most people do it, but here is how I did it:
  • Base coat of flat black.
  • Used a disposable small foam head paint brush to rub on the graphite powder till you get a nice luster (a little powder goes a long way).
  • Spray on protective coat. I believe you can use a standard clear coat but I had a spray on matte craft sealer from the local craft store. It is good for lots of things like pastel artwork. I liked using it a lot.

Thank you. That Graphite finish looks great.

Tom

What did you use to add weight, and how did you get the material inside the gun?

The barrel weight was achieved using the threaded rod, the grip weight was glue and buckshot (big thanks to @Inquisitor Peregrinus for that). I cut out a decent sized hole in the mag section to insert the weight. Then I used Bondo and a thin piece of plastic sheeting to seal up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you. That Graphite finish looks great.

Tom

Thank you. I think I will used it on the Return of the Jedi version. I am interested to see how it turns out because I also intend to add some weathering.

The barrel weight was achieved using the threaded rod, the grip weight was glue and buckshot (big thanks to @Inquisitor Peregrinus for that). I cut out a decent sized hole in the mag section to insert the weight. Then I used Bondo and a thin piece of plastic sheeting to seal up.

Sounds good... That was what my initial thoughts were too. Bet it feels nice now!

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back