I was able to get a bit more done, I’ve got a rough plan for the viewfinder, but I’m kinda making it up as I go.
I got the top and bottom plates cut out and filed to fit the contour of the back. I don’t have access to a milling machine, so I thought I’d try to etch the lip using salt and copper sulphate.
I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out. I really didn’t want to have to re do these parts as they took me the best part of a week, I still need to drill some holes in them for the switch, so really hoping I don’t f’up.
I realised that once the viewfinder is in place, I won’t be able to open the main body, due to the way it’s hinged.
I thought about just sealing the battery in, and although I’m adding a recharge port that was still really bugging me.
So I decided to cut an access hole in the back, I took out one of the rivets from the back plate, tapped the hole and swapped it out for an bolt, now I can remove the plate to change the battery if I ever need to
Also the led filaments I ordered from China 4 months ago arrived in the post today! I thought they had been lost in the post, but couldn’t find any the same size and colour anywhere else.
I tested them and they are so much brighter than the 3mm. I’m taking it as a sign that they show up just now, so I’m going have to modify the viewfinder side pieces to accommodate them.
Finally got her finished and had some time to go take some pics. Really pleased with the end result. I’d like to take the trooper Trent for his excellent work on his kit and for sharing the images, whilst I didn’t use the kit the thread was a great inspiration/ reference. I’d also like to thank jocha for sharing his file for the laser etching of the display screen.
I wanted to get one more project in before Christmas. A droid caller based on a Leitz Wetzlar flash - i found one for $12 - I have all the parts and hopefully it’s only a few hours build.
A kobold flash is just out of my budget, even an accurate replica is pricey. I saw a tutorial on the smugglers room and liked the idea of using found parts to make something in universe rather than have a resin cast, that I’d have to then paint.
Here’s all the parts, obvs there’s the flash, I’ll be adding a switch, led, buzzer, battery plus connector, d ring, an ANC 4 weld on fitting and a knurled thrums screw.
I stripped the flash down, here are all the bits I’m keeping for the build.
And here all the extra pieces I don’t need, including a funky 22 1/2 volt battery. There’s some nice potential greebles here - I’ve ear marked the brass pin for a hardware graflex.
The bottom is held in by 3 screws, (don’t loose one like I did and spent about 30 mins hunting for it) the rest of the bits come off too, I used a dermal to take down the central contact and opens the side a bit and cut down the connectors - to give extra room for the battery to fit.
I cut the thumb screw down, then turned it in my hand drill. I also cut the thread down. Tapped a hole in the upper part of the flash.
The ANC fitting fits perfectly in the top, just as some extra detail. The d ring just pushes in the the c track, it’s snug.
I drilled the 2 holes for the switch and led, there is just enough room for the battery.
Bit of hot glue and the buzzer sits on top.
Add the battery and screw the bottom back on, hopefully at this point your 3 screws are still where you left them and you’re not on your hand and knees hunting for it.
Quick test that the electronics work, twist the top on and it’s done. Not a bad rainy day project. Not accurate, but looks the part