My budget hoverboard build

ah brilliant!

i was thinkin' about makin something like this the other day, but makin the board as light as possible, then creating a display base full of those strong magnets to repel the board... i saw the same technique done on a floating tardis toy.

Great job for doing it on a budget. Just goes to prove that with a bit of thought you can build some really awesome stuff for very little money.

If I recall correctly, it's 28" x 8" x 1"

"Profiles in History" says 28 1/2" x 8".

attachment.php

Those are great pics!

I started putting the green and pink velcro on last night, but ran out of velcro. I'll be picking some more up later this week. Adding the fluorescent velcro really makes it "pop". Looks great. I'll post pics soon.

Looks awesome! I've been working on a similar project the last few days ( I'm a total newbie at this, and just recently picked it up as a hobby), and was getting disheartened by some of the setbacks, but it's great to see it can be done!

Picking up some wood filler in a few days, per your guide.

Also, for the decals, I'd heard somewhere to use self-adhesive laminates from Staples for a gloss effect. Has anyone had any success with that route?

Also, for the decals, I'd heard somewhere to use self-adhesive laminates from Staples for a gloss effect. Has anyone had any success with that route?

I hadn't heard that, but I'd be interested in seeing the results if you try!

Also, don't give up man. This hobby takes patience. LOTS of it, sometimes ;) And welcome!

What is the angle of the kicktail? Any tricks for making it too?

thanks

That was tough, and I'm not 100% happy with it, but it works. So here's how I did it:

I made the basic board flat, and got done to the point that all of the edges were puttied in etc. Some drawings I found here in another thread said 25 degrees. So, I set my compound miter saw to 12.5 degrees, cut the tail end of the board off at about 3" (I'd probably go 2.5 next time), took the tail piece that I'd cut off, flipped it over, and glued the 2 angles together to make a 25 degree angle (like making a picture frame, cut 2 45 degree angles and glue them together, you get a 90).

After gluing it together, I filled in the "valley" with some putty to give it a more rounded shape, and did the same thing on the "peak" on the underside of the board.

It was tough because my miter saw didn't reach clear across the board, so I had to finish the cut by hand with a hobby saw.

I was surprised, I thought the power saw would melt the styrofoam, so I tested on 4 pieces of scrap layered together to be the same thickness, and it cut it beautifully!

Sheesus, this is a great project. I love it when something comes together, your hoverboard looks nice and authentic. I have yet to see someone nail the pink colour though, it's bright, but not too bright and has an orangey feel to it.

Depending on what board you're looking at.

Those are great pics!

I started putting the green and pink velcro on last night, but ran out of velcro. I'll be picking some more up later this week. Adding the fluorescent velcro really makes it "pop". Looks great. I'll post pics soon.

Where did you get colored velcro? It's hard to find regular velcro where I live.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back