My Boushh helmet weathered/ full costume pics added 9/08

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by AlderaanGirl, Jul 20, 2006.

1. AlderaanGirl

AlderaanGirl Well-Known Member

Please advice me as to whether I should weather my Boushh helmet more or not.

What I am really asking for advice on is, you see how the "real" one has a bunch of scratches on the leather. I was wondering if I should do the same to mine. To be honest, I am very hesitant in doing so and am totally unsure if I should even bother. Part of me is afraid of messing it up. That is why I am asking you your opinions. For a while now I have been going back and forth on this issue, never truly making my mind up.

Please let me know what you think. And if you think yes, how would you suggest going about it? I have some ideas, but I would love to hear yours.

Thanks in advance :) ......~ Lori

[​IMG]

2. tk2647

tk2647 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Lori, you own a really nice bucket ...

For a realistic appearence, IMO the weathering necessary. It looks that the top brown part of your helmet has some scratches or weathering, too, so you should do the same with the leather part. Here a some Boushh-pics I took at the STAR WARS Expo in Paris, any closer pics of the helmet are in.

Screen used Boushh

Some sanding, scratches with a blunt object and perhaps a very little little little tip of shoe-creme will help. Try this at first on a seperate piece of leather to see how it comes.

Good luck,

Greets from Germany

3. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

I know what you mean about being hesitant to weathering props, I'm exactly the same. And as awesome lookin' as your helmet it, I always think it adds to the authenticity of the prop, if it looks used and worn. (As it is a bounty hunters helmet after all and itÂ’s one who live in the original star wars galaxy, so naturally it would be a bit beaten up and used).
    At the end of the day do what you feel is right, if you're comfortable with giving the weathering a go, do it. I'm sure you'll have lots of tips and support here, plus if you do go wrong, look at it this way...it's weathering anyway so there really is no such thing as going wrong.

If you have some spare leather, I'd definitely recommend you trying it on that first, give it a go, see how it looks and build up your confidence into doing it on the real thing.

Well whatever you decide Lori, you have an admirable costume and best of luck in what you decide.

4. WookieeGunner

WookieeGunner Well-Known Member

Honestly, the first thing I would do is go watch the movie again. Depending on the type of leather it can scuff easily. Are you sure the scuff marks are weathering and not just shipping and storage damage?

5. steveo

steveo Sr Member

It really depends on what you're going after. If you want "screen accurate", then yes, definitely weather the leather...if you're just going for that "new" look, then don't weather. Personally I would weather the leather because the rest of your helmet looks to be weathered so it looks off.

6. AlderaanGirl

Steveo: You have a point, that I had done quite of bit of weathering and then I decided to stop when it came to the leather. I guess it really does look off balance. I never thought of it that way :unsure

RodianJedi: I see your point too and will definitely try doing some distressing on some scrap leather I have left over. Good tip.

Funny I thought the same way as WookieGunner I wasn't really sure if the Boushh helmet was more distressed due to shipping and storage over the years, then it really appeared in the movie. I guess I should really look at the dvd and do some pausing to see what I make of it. (as well as look over some screen caps I have of the helmet)

tk2647: Thank you for the compliment. And Thank you SO much for those awesome pics of the actual Boushh. You've really captured some very nice shots. Some from angles I have never really seen before. The details you captured are awesome. Makes me want to repaint my chest piece/communicator (my red markings were not exact ;) I just tried my best to give it the look because I could never make out was the actual markings). I appreciate your tips as well. Thank you :)

Well...

Thank you all for the feedback. I think that all of your advice has given me the extra little push and incentive to actually distress the leather. I won't lie to you, but I am a bit nervous. I'll let you know how I make out, hopefully all will go well. :unsure

Thanks again guys :) I really appreciate it. ~ Lori

7. AlderaanGirl

I've started the distressing process. This is the third day I am working on it. Grant it not continously. I haven't got to far on it. I keep trying different things to see how it works. I have a bit to go, but I thought I show you my work in progress:

[​IMG]

The real one:

[​IMG]

Do you think I am heading in the right direction?. :unsure :confused Or should I cry and kick myself for beginning this :(

8. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Looking much better. Distressing the leather really ties the look of the helmet together.
    No crying and/or kicking. :)

9. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I think it looks fine....one thing about distressing is you can't go back...why don't you live with this level of distress for the time being before going to the next level...I think at this point you're looking at more subtle distress.....

10. AlderaanGirl

Thanks guys for the feedback and compliments.

Its definetly a work in progress and I'm not finished with it. Its definetly something I don't want to rush and am deathly afraid too. :confused Like SithLord mentioned, I know all its not reversible.

11. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

I think it looks great so far Lori, definetly a good start. What do you think?

12. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

Looks good so far keep up the great work. I used to try to keep my costumes lookin brand new but noticed they photograph much better with scuffs and wear areas. The only time I ever buff out the trooper armor is if we're doing a special troop and we're trying to look sharp. Other than that the scuff marks stay.

13. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(WookieGunner @ Jul 21 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]1285101[/snapback]</div>

WG thats EXACTLY what i was goin g to advise her on...

i woulndt go to crazy with it... its a fantastic lookin bucket.

but i agree the leather is a BIT too pristene, it at least needs to be dirtied up a bit. a few grazes etc.

hell most unfinished leather you can run your finger acroos and get this effectt then run it back and it dissapears... try raking a comb down the side llightly... maybe it would help give that affect, without damaging the material?

its deffinately a delicate balance, between weathered and RUINED :eek: so ultimately its your call, but deffinately come back with pics if you do go there.

good luck.

14. TK-326

TK-326 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Definitely keep weathering it.

15. amigaman

amigaman New Member

Looks Great.

<div class='quotetop'>(AlderaanGirl @ Jul 21 2006, 02:27 AM) [snapback]1284979[/snapback]</div>

16. Benkenove

Benkenove Well-Known Member

Nice helmet there... May I know who is the maker ??? just out of cudiosity ?..

And my opinion is: HEAVY WEATHERED ... Dont doubt it ...

17. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i think it's looking great. the thing i learned quickly when i started on boba was that once you think it's dirty/damaged enough, that means you are almost close to where it needs to be :)

going slow is good though. like you said, you can't take it back.

18. sadious

sadious Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The helmet looks great. You did a great job. I would let it weather on its own as you wear it.

19. AlderaanGirl

Thanks again, been a few weeks. Boy do I know how to take it slow. I THINK I am about there. But I am sure I will do something else. Then again, I am too afraid to do much more. :p Well actually I have to resecure my fans, but that is another story.

Here's some pics on (well not my whole costume just the jacket no armor ~ hair is sticking out lol..I just rushed it. So this will look a little funny.)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Should I have left it alone? Should I do more..or hang it up. :confused Criticism is welcome. Thanks.

20. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

I would say leave it. It looks really great as it is and over time as you wear it to cons etc, it will gain its own weathering which I'm sure you will be very happy with. :)

You see it wasn't all that bad now wasn't it? It was definately worth the time and effort you have put into it.

Have to ask though, why obscure such a lovely face behind a helmet? ;)

21. tk2647

Wooow, nice weathering job . Looks really good and realistic, the rest will come during trooping-time... :)

Well done, you can be proud of it . :thumbsup

22. steveo

steveo Sr Member

I think you've done a fantastic job. What about it aren't you happy with? I would be very happy with the results. Now the whole helmet looks uniform.

23. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

that looks great now. :thumbsup :thumbsup

24. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

It looks really nice to me. Only thing i see that ya left out was the gray color around the vid screen. Look at your pic of the real one and you will see what i mean.Also Lori remember once you have the entire costume ON the character comes to life:)
    Its kinda like a TK with no armor, if your just wearin the helmet the body just looks odd without the rest of it. Don't be scared about diving in,weathering really makes the helmet and costume look REAL and not an off the shelf store bought product like.... cough. cough.RUBIES.cough.
    I can't wait to see the rest of your costume all together and being worn.

Goldenrod

25. AlderaanGirl

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate all your compliments and replies. I GUESS I am happy with it. You have to know me to understand WHY I sound so unsure. For one, this helmet was a kit and I've NEVER done anything of the sort before (well helmets) I've been deathly afraid of it looking cheap or thrown together. I always see such wonderful work from you all and fear my helmet would look so bad. That's one reason, when I make costumes, I've only done them for myself.

Paul: To answer your question .."To TRY and save Han" lol. Thank you for the too kind compliment.

I do see what you mean Goldenrod about the grey area. Its very much like what I painted in the so call "ear" areas of the helmet. I honestly don't know how I missed that. Well...back to the paints. :lol And I have to agree you all, that wearing it to events does weather the helmet naturally. You see the scratches on the "mouth" area, they are there because I didn't bother to touch it up. Usually I would do that before my next event. Maybe I shouldn't touch it up anymore?. :unsure

As far as my costume, like many of us I feel its never done. I originally completed it in May, but since then, I've done nothing but revisions. It doesn't look anything like my pic at the 501st anymore. I know many of you can relate to that . I'll try and post pics soon, but I plan to play around with my costume a little more. I need to get this done before I have to take pics for my 501st card. I don't want to look bad . :( And yes..that is a reason why I worry about all this.

26. Soundwave

Soundwave Sr Member

Top job Lori. I think it looks fantastic, so no worries there. It's really cool to know that you started from a mere kit and have this to show for it. You've done an excellent job, so be proud.
    The helmet looks far more authentic now and I think you've got it spot on...and like Paul said, the helmet will get general wear and tear in time which will add to the overall appearance of the helmet as well. Just check out the before and after shots and youÂ’ll see what a fine job youÂ’ve done.

27. IanL

IanL New Member

Hi Lori

I am in the camp that nearly every SW costume should be weathered. I've actually used the dremel to add cuts and scuffs to my Dengar armor. I'm sure most clean TK's would cringe to hear that but Bounty Hunters don't have time to spit shine and polish their outfits.

28. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

I love it.. :love

It makes it look like you've seen some action, BH's are never going to be clean. The only clean BH is one that's not been in the game very long and they keep polishing their armour and helmet. A seasoned BH has had to clean their armour so many times that they just give up and let it get a beating, that's just my take on it.

Your helmet looks like the type of BH I would want to steer clear from (Brilliant :D )

Congrats on an amazing looking Boushh :thumbsup

Cheers,

Kraig

29. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Great job Lori, looks great to me.

I agree that once it starts to get a bit of use it will get some of it's own weathering but what you've done is great.

30. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

Outstanding with the weathering - really makes it look more screen-used. Looks fantastic.

31. HoundofCulaine

HoundofCulaine New Member

Nice job Lori, you've managed to weather the leather just enough.

It's always the problem with this sort of thing, normally you keep weathering thinking it doesn't look enough, but by the time you think you've got it you've gone too far. Less is more, and you've got it at just the right amount of weathering.

PS Haven't seen you for ages, not since the old BOTB site, sorry haven't posted much in BOTB or LOH since I got into all things 501st. Hi Lori.

32. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i agree with everyone else... it looks great :)

taking the plunge to "mess up" your shiny props is always rough, but that's what separates the "oh neat" costumes from the "just stepped off of the set" ones.

33. AlderaanGirl

Wow guys. I am truly taken back by all your nice compliments. That means so much coming from all of you. I admire all of your works :) And I am not just saying that. I sincerely admire people from this board as well as fellow costumers, everyone has such wonderful talent. You all have given me inspiration in distressing my helmet. I would have never done any of it without the little push and inspiration you have gave me to go ahead and do it. Trust me, I have barely any faith in what I do as far as costuming and props. I never really feel I have done a great job. Thank you all again for inspiring me.

HoundofCulaine: No worries. I've been away from BOTB myself, in such a long time. The 501st and RL has taken any free time I have ;)

Ian: I HAVE to see your Dengar soon. Perhaps next years SWW ;)

Well here it is finally. I have donned the costume for some pics, mainly to update my profile at the 501st. A little error on my part, my Bandolier waistband slipped too low in the pics except for the close up.

Oh well :unsure

Thanks again everyone. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Congratulations...

That looks brilliant, you've done one helluva job and should be very proud :thumbsup

Cheers,

Kraig

35. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

It looks wonderful Lori. Congrats.

36. IanL

IanL New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(AlderaanGirl @ Sep 8 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]1316008[/snapback]</div>

Will you be at Mega? Scott will probably handle Dengar at SWW (unless something comes up). Otherwise, we will need to drag you to Dragoncon next year.

37. steveo

steveo Sr Member

nice job. Looks excellent. You should be very proud.

38. Sandman

Sandman Active Member

Looking good ....

39. tk2647

Only one word for your work:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW . :thumbsup

40. steveo

steveo Sr Member

What did you do for the leather? Where did you get it and what kind? It looks really good.