My Batman Begins WIP

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by SithLars, Dec 9, 2011.

1. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Hey Guys,

just started to build a low cost Batman Costume in Dark Knight Style for
    our famous german carnival in Febuary 2012. I went for the Rubies (I know this Word hurts in the ears) Dark Knight costume as Body Suit. First I ripped of a lot of the foam Rubies used to create the "Muscles" on the Chestpiece. In the Arm Sectin I got rid off the batting Rubies put in to make some "nice" bizeps, it looked ridicolous with batting. So I just cut it out. For the Boots I decided that the Gotham 100 will do their job. They fit perfectly and got them for a nice price. The Cowl comes from Rubies. I modified the ears with foam from the inside so they get a little sturdier. Added a Zipper in the Back for easy On/Off and also solved the problem of the wide opening on the back of the cowl with the zipper. The Belt also comes from Rubies-Tech-Department ^^. Sufficient enough for me. The Cape was custom made somewhere in China, got it from Ebay. Its nicely done, with satin lining inside and I was suprised when I unpacked it that it was of such good quality. The Gloves are some cheap Motorbike Gloves also purchased from Ebay. I really got lucky on the Gauntlets! I stumbled over them, when I was searching ebay for some stuff. These are the Combat Gauntlets with shootable spikes. I think they were sold bei Walmart in the past. Made them fit to my arms and they stay in place very well. Rundown of items:

Cowl, Gauntlets and Belt 100€
    Rubies Dark knight Bodysuit 40€
    Gloves 25€
    Gotham 100 Boots 48€
    Cape 43€

Here are some Photos, on carnival I will do the eye blackening as well, but for some fast photo shots to much effort^^.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Wife didnt recognized that the cowl flipped over at the throat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Regards Lars

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. Graphic Jordan

Graphic Jordan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: My Batman TDK Low Budget Project

Wow that Rubies cowl actually looks pretty * good on you.

3. j0wE

j0wE Well-Known Member

I agree with Jordan, even if it is a Begins cowl. Lol

4. Celtic007

Celtic007 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That might be the nicest Rubies Begins cowl i've seen. Great job!

5. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Re: My Batman Low Budget Project´*Now Upgrading*

Ok Guys. Now im infected with the Bat-Fever. I decided to go a little more acurate on the Batman costume. I change direction and will go for a Batman Begins Costume. I got myself a nice Bob D Urethane Chest armor together with some Ludakirs Legs, Kneepads. Also a Foam Spine for covering the Zipper on the Back of the Wetsuit im going to use as undersuit. I also catched a nice Cowl on the Bay. It fits well and looks pretty good to me. Only thing is to get in that beauty ^^. I am one of the lucky Ones who could get hands on one of the Capes of inkmonkey together with his incredible acurate cape clips. Hopefully I will recieve it by the end of the month. For Boots I will use the Gotham 100 Supehero Boots I already wear in the upper photos. Still waiting for the Gauntlets too. They were actually hard to find, I went with some I found on the Bay. THe Belt will be the Rubies Adult Costume Belt which Im going to put on a real leather belt to get rid of the original Velcro Closure System. Next step is getting a nice black, not so thick, wetsuit. What do you guys think so far?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regards Lars

6. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Re: My Batman (Ex)Low Budget Project´*Now Upgrading*

Update: Recieved the amazing Cape from coofunkcurly and have to say its really really awesome! Incredibly lightwight, flows in the wind beautifully and is extremly black. Standing in the Shadows with the Cape wrapped around the Body and you disappear. Just AWESOME. Gauntlets are sceduled for the next week. Here are some shots of them:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its getting in the right direction.

7. SantinoCasas

SantinoCasas Active Member

This is looking great man! Looking forward to seeing it all put together.

8. CrimsonCoscrafts

CrimsonCoscrafts Active Member

Haha once u get bitten by the bat, it just keeps going till you have the ultimate suit!
    I'm the same man and look forward to a full suit up from you!
    Great work bro, you might want to pop over to the brotherhood of the bat. This is right up our street!

9. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can never get enough Batman Begins builds! Loving the upgrades. :thumbsup

10. Dannydude

Dannydude New Member

Good upgrades if you ask me. love to see pictures of the end results! any progress on the bodysuit so far?

11. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Thanks everybody. Im also excited to see the End Result (Is there an End?). Bodysuit: Unfortunatly no. I saw some nice neoprene Bodysuits, but they were way too expensive to put glue on them. Others were much to thick. Im not quite sure what thickness is best to use. Too thick and I will sweat my a** off in summer, Too thin i guess the armor will be to heavy to stick to the suit. Any advices?

@DIStudios: I already registered at the BotB-Forum. Really great infos to catch there.

12. SithLars

SithLars New Member

13. chanfan

chanfan Well-Known Member

Cool! But dude, Batman doesn't have a beard! ;)

14. scorpion

scorpion Active Member

the suit looks awesome, looking foward to this thread!!

15. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Oh man, you´re the ( ah i forgot to count) xy one who´s telling me that ^^. :lol. i´ll promise when I post the next Cowl/Face picture I´ll shave my beard.

16. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Ok here we are again with a little update. The Begins Gloves arrived by yesterday. Really nice, a little tight but they fit. Took some photos with the Gauntlets on. You may see some color difference between the Gloves and the Gauntlets. Its even more visible with the camera flash. But have a look for yourselves:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers Lars

17. McAullay

McAullay New Member

Mad dude! Looks mint. Where did you get your eurathane armor
    From? Currently trying to do a decent Begins build and love your stuff.

18. Mr. K

Mr. K Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The urethane armor is a Bob Dullam (doody on the RPF) sculpt ;)

Great work on the costume by the way, it's a huge improvement over your former attempt. Quality parts make all the difference!

19. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

its great to see what your going with my old suit Sith well done keep us updated
    Chris

20. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Hey thanks everybody. Yeah it makes a hughe difference to the former costume ^^. Still looking for a nice undersuit, any suggestions?
    @Chris: Thanks mate, The Armor is really really great!

Here´s a little update. Yesterday I picked up my new belt at our customs. Its´a urethane Belt with velcro closure system. Fits perfect and looks awesome! Here are some pics and on in comparison with my old Rubies Belt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love it. Looks really great and nice colortation!

Regards Lars

21. SDUK

SDUK Well-Known Member

lookin amazing!!

22. Fearn

Fearn New Member

Great job!

When you modified the ears on your original rubies cowl with foam, how did you actually do that?

I have one but the ears do not look correct. They stick out to the sides too much. I cant figure out how to modify them.

23. Blown Z06

Blown Z06 New Member

The Bob D torso looks great!

24. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Thanks buddy. Here´s a little update:

Got hands on a DC Grappel Gun. Awesome replica, little heavy but looks * cool ^^
    [​IMG]

Regards Lars

25. Obsidiank

Obsidiank New Member

nice. where'd you pick up the urethane belt?

26. martcpl705

martcpl705 Well-Known Member

Wow, your suit is coming together awesomely

27. Ironhide26

Ironhide26 Member

Man is this looking awesome!! GREAT job.... funny how once you get into a character like this you catch "the fever" with it isnt it?? :lol Your Batsuit is just looking awesome man! I cant wait to see more of it!

28. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Thanks guys. Got the Belt from a guy over at the Brotherhood of the Bat-Forum. Awesome Work! I will post my progress as soon as I get along with it. But i guess i wont be finished for Halloween. Just became Father and so my priorities changed to my littlé Baby-Girl.

Regards Lars

29. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Here we go again. Back with some news here. First off got hands on a Latex Begins cowl. Fits me perfect and isnt as heavy as my urethane one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next Thing is really cool. A Friend of mine works at a steel factory around here. They are doing sheets for airplanes, Tank etc. He called my a few days back and said to me: Man, I´ve got something for you. I had no clue what it could be and so we met and he gave me these Beauties :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made of 3mm thick Airplane-Aluminium. Light, Sharp and very detailed! They will be powder coated in a nice black or in a gold tone to match my belt. Awesome!

I also found a Undersuit to use on this project. I went with a 2mm Neoprene Wetsuit. For the german temperatures it´ll be okay. Havent recieved it yet, hopefully it will get here till christmas.

Last on the List is a brand new Bob D. Begins Urethane Chest V.3 . Still on its way so Im going to upload pics after I recieved it. Here´s one where I bought it.
    [​IMG]

I guess we´re heading straight foreward now ^^

Regards Lars

30. DarkHero

DarkHero Active Member

Wow LOL your bat-suit is gonna kick ***** when its all 2gether. Can't wait to see the final suit.

31. Dannydude

Dannydude New Member

Great looking chest armor Lars!:love
    and what a kick * gift from your friend :thumbsup. Can't wait to see them powder coated. Should look awesome.
    I was just wondering, How are you going to tackle the bathroom breaks with the wetsuit? is there a zipper in the uhm.. grapes and banana area?

32. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Thats indeed a good question :D. Maybe im going to install a zipper for easier access. I have to see when the Suit arrives what to do best.

33. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

PM sent mate

34. reelprops

reelprops Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey, that baby behind the chest piece looks familiar. Oh wait, it's mine :D

Reel

35. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Indeed it is. It was the only pic I had ^^.

36. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Happy New Year everybody and what can be better to start the Year with some good news on here ^^: Got my Wetsuit today. Had to pick it up at the customs but the afford was worth it. The Suit fits perfect although it is a XXXL instead of XXL im wearing usually. So jumped in it, took the Cowl and the Gauntlets and did some Test Shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty okay to me, so I pulled out my Chestarmor as well and slipped it over the Suit. So dont wonder, it isnt fixated on the Suit yet.Just another Test Shot. Here we go:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im pretty excited it went out that well. So next thing will be to find the right method of attaching the Armorparts to the Suit. Also Im thinking of going for new legs. I have a one pice Legarmor which Im not too happy with. I think single leg pieces will allow more comfort as well as a better flexibility. Maybe im going to replace them (after I found a source for single Legs ^^). That´s it for the moment.

Regards Lars

P.S.: Yeah I know Batman doesnt have a Beard :D

37. reelprops

reelprops Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great dude. The chest arrived safely??

Reel

38. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Hi Reel

Not yet. That one in the pic is my old V.1 . Its still on its way. I give you a short call when it has arrived.

Regards Lars

39. Sheol

Sheol Member

Hello friends,

As I was searching neoprene suits for other proposals, I found the company who made the neoprene undersuit. You might know already, but it's nice to share just in case. The company is Yamamoto. They manufacture the best neoprene on the market for several companies, and they even have a reference to Begins in their website.
    The company is based in Japan, and they do sell sheets of neoprene. i didn't buy from them since shipping was too expensive to spain *sigh*, but they are extremely polite in the communication.

However, if you are looking for some already made wetsuits EXACTLY like the one Bale wore under the armor, this might help:

Nineplus | Retro Fullsuit

This is the same exact material he wears under the armor. I strongly recommend to look on the fitting table and once you know your perfect wetsuit size, then pick AT LEAST ONE SIZE BIGGER, if not two. Otherwise it's claustrophobic.

I don't come very often in this forum, so if you want to spread the word it would be better.

Keep up the good work guys!

40. Axis Replicas

Axis Replicas Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow that all looks amazing ,you are going to look the biz

41. Axis Replicas

Axis Replicas Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

oh and check out rothco kevlar gloves ,they would go well with suit

42. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Hey Guys.
    New year and a little progress on my Suit. Im mainly done with collecting some more parts and Im now ready for gluing the parts to my undersuit. Here´s a little update on what happened with my Suit.
    I completed my Belt by putting the pouches to it and I also changed the closure System from velcro to a snap on buckle. This is much more secure as the velcro wasnt strong enough to handle the movement in the suit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The next upgrade came from Canada (Big Thanks to coofunkcurly). I got new Gauntlets along with acurate neoprene Gloves in the
    right size as well as Knee Caps and a Spine Armor. Awesome stuff, incredible Quality. I think the most acurate parts you can get your Hands on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last Thing I was missing on my Suit was the Holster for the Grapple Gun. Found someone in the UK who casted one for me. Still waiting for the package to arrive :eyes . I decided to go with the Holster seen in TDK where Bale still wears the Begins Suit as it looks more secure to me as the Holster seen in BB. I´ll update some photo when it has arrived. Thats it for the moment.
    Regards Lars

43. LePaul

LePaul Active Member

What's the process to attach the armor to the wet suit?
    I know for my Dark Knight suit I'm using Sikaflex 221 and am still keen to find something a bit better

I'm jealous of that utility belt...looks great!

44. LePaul

LePaul Active Member

Wow, those are pricey but impressive. It looks like they are all two-tone suits, is there an off-the-shelf one that best matches what was used?

45. DarkProtector

DarkProtector New Member

Hi Lars,
    Thanks for documenting all of your progress up here. I'm afraid I've caught the "begins bug" too. It started off with an innocent cowl & a few hundred euro later it's a fully fledge addiction. Away, do you know if the guy you got your belt from on BOTB makes them or had anymore? It's really difficult to get access to the trading section of that site.

Also, I'm interested to see how your gluing of the armor to the wetsuit goes. I have chest armor & I've been thinking about how to attach it to an undersuit way too much! I have decided to go with heavy duty Velcro but have not found anyone else who has used this approach so I'm worry about messing it up. So I'd love to know what glue you use. I hope it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Back again. Today I pulled out all the parts for the Begins Costume and layed it onto the Wetsuit I use as Undersuit. Just to get a closer look on how it will come out. Here are some pics of the Arrangement:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Whats missing on the pics is the Cape and the Boots. Also I will Switch the cowl with my latex one because the Color of it matches to the rest of the suit. What do you Guys think?

47. DarkProtector

DarkProtector New Member

All looks top quality! I hope the gluing process goes well

48. SithLars

SithLars New Member

Yeah, that is still my biggest concern. But remember: Never a failure, always a lesson :D :D :D

49. DarkProtector

DarkProtector New Member

Any updates on the gluing? Any lessons learned?