My Bandai X-Wing Red 3

kh39

Sr Member
Hello everybody!
This RED 3 is the ROJ version since it has a red R2 unit.
bandai_red3_front.jpg
bandai_red3_right.jpg
bandai_red3_left.jpg
close_up.jpg
bandai_red3_top1.jpg

Thank you for looking!

I am continuously impressed by the work people can do on these tiny, tiny X-wings. I tried one of the FM 1/72's and it was a disaster.

Wow that is a brilliant paint job! :) And the panel lines on the side caused by the seperate parts are not visible at all. Did you putty them or is it important to just not put a dark wash on?

Thank you everyone for the compliments!

Wow that is a brilliant paint job! :) And the panel lines on the side caused by the seperate parts are not visible at all. Did you putty them or is it important to just not put a dark wash on?

I glued the parts of the sides one by one and cleaned the panel lines. And then I used just a little bit of putty to fill the seam lines.
As for washing, I think it's okay because since the panels are red, it would not be obvious.
dsc_0720.jpg

Thank you everyone for the compliments!

I glued the parts of the sides one by one and cleaned the panel lines. And then I used just a little bit of putty to fill the seam lines.
As for washing, I think it's okay because since the panels are red, it would not be obvious.
View attachment 472495

Good to know about the panel lines. Do you have some more WIP pics we could feast our eyes upon?

SB

Thank you so much for the kind words!

SB,

Yes, I took some photos.

This is not a big deal, but it kind of looked like a toy to me, so I added small pieces of styrene sheet there.
dsc_0665.jpg

But, these disturb opening the wings. So I cut the part 9 like this.
dsc_0674.jpg

The rear end is not flat.( Sorry, I didn't take a picture of this area when I was working on it.)
red3_rearend.jpg

I hope these helps!:)

Do you mind running through your paint steps? Is the an oil wash or anything?

I just finished a small falcon so my brain is still wired into that process. I realize that this will be different. Probably more pigments and less washes

Sure, it's very simple:)

Under coating and the base color:

•the first undercoart is black
•the second undercoats are dark orange for the nosecone and brown for the fuselage
•the base color is 80% white and 20% desert yellow(I'm not so sure if it was 20% desert yellow.)

Weathering:

•rubbed it down with a scotch brite
•chipping with a small paint brush
•sprayed soot black and rubbed it down

I didn't apply a paint wash. I think ILM modelers didn't use the technique. I've seen an ILM modeler applied a paint spot and blew it with an airbrush on youtube.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back