My Balrog Sculpt...new and improved

Darth Infamous

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi All,
If there is one character that really gets me fired up its the Balrog from the Lord Of the Rings Movie. Fantastic character...superbly realized by Weta.
I sculpted my first Balrog awhile ago. Casted it up and painted it. But I wasn't satisfied. It had to be better. Now I have based my Balrog sculpt on a very finely done sculpt by Ben Wooten. The pose to me is fantastic. Captures the essence of the creature. So here is the original Ben Wooten sculpt I used as reference. Then Pics of my sculpt. My Balrog is actually 20 percent larger than the original. I wanted to make it bigger and more detailed. So here is some pics. Hope you like them.

photo22.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2klkj.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

Holy bejeebus! Impressive... most impressive!
Your sculpt looks amazing! Its spot on and not even finished yet!!! I'm impressed! :thumbsup

WOW, great work on the details! :love
Can't wait to see the finished work, with paint job and all...

:thumbsup And I agree, the pose matches the Balrog perfectly!

great sculpt. You should see if there is a way of taking a transparent cast of your sculpt and then lighting it from the interior - You could really take it to a new level... like the coolest lava lamp ever created!

As much as I despice the Peter Jackson LOTR "movies",
I really have to say: this is an outstanding piece of art. Very well executed. I love the pose and especially the painting. I can really feel the fire burning underneath his skin. Very cool!!!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Thanks for all the nice comments. here is some updated pics for you all. :) They are a little washed out...took them in the daylight.

Carl

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

limited run maybe??:D... very nice sculpt! This was always my favourite creature in the LoTR books, and the film version was pretty much what i had visualized all those yrs ago. any updates? also are you using super sculpey?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back