My ANH Kenny Baker R2-D2 Build

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

nkg

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My guess would be that someone made an HP out of aluminium, including the grasps because it was easier to machine them than to injection mold a separate plastic part, and then everyone just thought they were too dang pretty to die. Er, paint. I've got an alu HP on my Scrubber-Zilla and it definitely hurt a little to pour "grime" all over it.

Yeah, you're probably right. I mean, I get it - the machined nozzles do look super spiffy in shiny metal. And when the Astromech stuff got started, consumer resin 3D printers weren't available. It takes an extra-dedicated person like zorg to go all out!

Nowadays, however, we can print exact replicas of the Viscount reading lamps using the laser-scanned data from Robert Jackson, so if you do want screen accuracy it's pretty easy. :) I also 3D modelled a replica a while ago replicating the crack and split damage seen on many holos, for extra nerdiness!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.