My "8 foot" Star Destroyer Build

Hey all,

It's been awhile since I have posted anything.
I have finally gotten back around to working on some things and have finalized my measurements for the bridge as well as most of the neck.
I spent perhaps 2 weeks studying reference photos with model parts and a caliper - taking thousands of measurements and trying to translate those to paper along with part layout.
Following are some snaps of the process on the neck and bridge face - along with the start of the actual styrene bridge construction - that thing is just a crazy shape...

SAM_1164.jpgSAM_1165.jpgSAM_1167.jpgSAM_1168.jpgSAM_1169.jpgSAM_1170.jpgSAM_1174.jpgSAM_1176.jpgSAM_1177.jpgSAM_1180.jpgSAM_1185.jpgSAM_1186.jpgSAM_1187.jpgSAM_1188.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1166.jpg
    SAM_1166.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 480
Inspiring work! I love these big builds!! Seeing the steps and the development makes me wanna glue something together!! Keep it up!

Keep going, I know that with that type of model you'll scratch your head often (shape, greeblies, etc) but it'll be very satisfying once that baby wears its first coat of primer;)

Hey swpropmaker and joberg - thanks for the words of encouragement. I must admit, I get a bit frustrated and have to put it down for awhile (or a few weeks :wacko)

I'm trying to pick things up again. Working on getting the measurements down for the 'spine' but I have a question that hopefully one of you eagle-eyed pros can help me with.
On the spine, what are those ridges in green that go all the way down? Is it something from Plastruct like siding or maybe train rails? I don't have any of that stock around to compare with and just looking at the pdf catalog online is not terribly helpful.
Any suggestions on this latest stump would be awesome.
And yes, primer...right now just a dream - but maybe one day!
spineid.jpg

Re: My "8 foot" Star Destroyer Build

Sorry to jump in on this thread, and I hope MT is ok with me marking up a couple of his pics but can anybody identify these parts please ?

MT38.jpgMT38.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry put same picture I meant to put this one as the second on.

I thought they may have been from the M3 or Crocodile but cant seem to ID them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

MT37.jpg

Part on top of Matilda piece is from Tamiya 1/35 M3A2 Halftrack, part number C28 (trimmed and cut in half used on both sides) part next to that is from Rocco 1/87 Flakpanzer Gepard (track part cut to size)
part at the bottom if my memory serves me well is from Tamiya 1/35 20mm Flakvierling, Hope I've been of some help.
Sparky70:thumbsup

Sparky, You are a star that's a great help thank you. very much mate
Do you know what the conning tower is off right at the top of the picture, with the arrow pointing to it
Its on both sides

Your welcome mate,The conning tower is from Tamiya 1/700 Japanese aircraft carrier Taiho. (Part 22)

For the dimensions problem you can also use photogrammetry technics to get a 3d model from photos. You can get any dimension for your project from a complete 3d model. You can also use original kit parts to verify the dimension. Here are some Pictures from my work
isd1.JPGisd2.JPGisd3.JPG

It's been quite awhile since I have been on. Took the summer off for 'summer activities' and now am planning on getting back into the build.
I've gotta dig out all my pieces and documentation and see if I can remember what I was doing. I left off at a point where I was pretty close to putting the bridge together - a few more parts to ID, but the major portion has been ID'd. Hopefully I'll have some actual visual updates in the not too distant future.

I also heard that Tox got banned which is just a crying shame...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back