An RPF Open Source 5 ft Millennium Falcon Build/Reference Thread. All Are Welcome

So I’m getting ready to cut my Patty shapes. Can someone please double check me here before I cut? Thank you!

View attachment 1582843
John, I'm surprised that you are taking on the patty. I know it is probably the first piece of structure that you want to build and square away, but the way I look at it, you need to be confident in your overall size. And going by your question it seems that your not sure.

And with this in mind it is best to do your own work here as everything is interconnected. And you should be satisfied that everything else marries up.

When I look at Eagle1's super build thread, he started laying out the individual sections with kit parts and matching to photo references, like the upper and lower jaw box or docking ring arms. These help give clue to the real proportions. And he took several goes at it. It will unlikely be right first time.
This seems to be the traditional approach and a very good one. Whilst I have seen very little about it, I presume Mr Lee Malone did the same and the result is nothing short of amazing.

Only this way can you possibly start to determine the inner structure.

The easiest way is to lay out some styrene and start mocking it up, much the same as Stu has done. Use the kit parts as your guide.

Trying to start with the centre patty is a big leap of faith. Very rewarding if you get it right but otherwise....

I have spent a few years already on this process and I'm still a while a way from physically cutting something with confidence.
Per Searun's build, Andre and Joshua's drawings are a great starting place.

I have been trying to determine the dimensions of the core / patty for the last few months and I'm still unsure of several aspects that I am keen to resolve.

My current findings are not to diffrent from your detailed sketch.

I make the hull to be slightly larger at about 46.5" OD, 40.5 - 41" between docking rings, and shy of 7.1" across the docking ring face. And that 110° is probably closer to 108°. Difficult to tell with the armour plating.

Face it, if it was easy, there would be more of these things. As it's not just the fastest ship in the galaxy but the coolest hands down. Or Hans...

Do your homework, it will pay off.

I feel ya. I’m just cutting out the top and bottom and using underlayment so it’s cheap. I’ve done some drawings but do better with the physical objects. I have a docking ring I printed so I can use that to test the patty. I’m sure it will be redone several times. :)

Took 11 minutes.
D777EF27-ABB1-409C-BFFE-BAF4DF14D5B4.jpeg

Took 11 minutes? That made me chuckle.

I think you mean: "Took 7 months of research... and 11 minutes to cut."

And if you're lucky, you won't get to add another year to the build process like I did, simply by having one dimension wrong and having to start all over again!

But it is very cool looking, and gets the imagination firing, so congrats on committing to a number and pulling the trigger. Can't wait to see the build start to come together.

BTW, what was the O.D. number you settled on?

Took 11 minutes? That made me chuckle.

I think you mean: "Took 7 months of research... and 11 minutes to cut."

And if you're lucky, you won't get to add another year to the build process like I did, simply by having one dimension wrong and having to start all over again!

But it is very cool looking, and gets the imagination firing, so congrats on committing to a number and pulling the trigger. Can't wait to see the build start to come together.

BTW, what was the O.D. number you settled on?
Lol. I joked that it would have taken me hours and would have ended up looking like a triangle if I had to cut it by hand.

I'm sure I'll have many mistakes/rebuilds/crying fits. Isn't that part of the fun? :)

I went with 46" We'll see...

I found a mistake on this one. (I'm sure there are probably more.) I had the wrong Panzer for part 160. I fixed it and reuploaded.

Attachments

• starboard outer mandible copy.jpg
    starboard outer mandible copy.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 83
Wait...what??? I can't believe I just noticed this. Was this the original configuration of the underside mandibles? The pic is the underside from the Chronicles book I believe.
1654623159545.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back