An RPF Open Source 5 ft Millennium Falcon Build/Reference Thread. All Are Welcome

I totally get it Stu. I’ve reached out to Craig to apologize. It never even entered my mind how I was coming across. I totally see it, but please know it wasn’t my intent. I was going off of this map so I really thought I was helping. This is why I’m trying to organize all this stuff to weed out the inconsistencies between maps. But I totally get it. My brain tends to go very fast. I’m trying to slow down.

I’ve had several people reach out and thank me for what I’m doing, and I always tell them I’m not really doing anything, that you guys did the heavy lifting. Again, sorry all,
John, all good!.
Just wanted to say my bit & very happy you reached out to Craig.
At the end of the day none of us have ownership over this iconic miniature, but we all have the right to build replicas.
There's so much been done previously regarding research & parts mapping from many folks, no matter how small the ID or piece of information, it all adds up.
What you are trying to do here with gathering all the fragmented ID's & parts maps into a concentrated one stop shop so to speak is commendable.
There's much love for this old girl & she's still attracting new people to join in the fun of realising builds, which is great to see!.
Keep it up & enjoy the ride!.

Time to start practicing.

Attachments

• 5EA538BE-4B38-4158-9D9D-F7C8AA5989DA.jpeg
    5EA538BE-4B38-4158-9D9D-F7C8AA5989DA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 87
Okay. Test run #1 on the turret base complete. What did we learn?

1. Bandsaw works great for roughing out the shape.
2. Dremel with sanding bit is not going to cut it. Not enough control.
3. Benchtop belt sander seemed to work pretty well.
4. Eye protection…very important.

As always, criticism is welcome.
7CC9FE3E-CFB5-4878-BB3F-3D563459F0B7.jpeg

Are you going to wrap the edge with styrene. Or just sand the bloody heck out of it, ; ) The layer lines from my 3d prints are making me really want a resin printer. Well that and it's a new toy, LOL. I'm building an enclosure to print Asa filament. I hear you can vapor smooth this like Abs and Asa has better uv resistance. Don't plan on having it in the sun, but everything helps. I think once you hit that with a few coats of filler primer, you can probably glue the greeblies right to it. Just rambling, had too much sugar today, ; )

Are you going to wrap the edge with styrene. Or just sand the bloody heck out of it, ; ) The layer lines from my 3d prints are making me really want a resin printer. Well that and it's a new toy, LOL. I'm building an enclosure to print Asa filament. I hear you can vapor smooth this like Abs and Asa has better uv resistance. Don't plan on having it in the sun, but everything helps. I think once you hit that with a few coats of filler primer, you can probably glue the greeblies right to it. Just rambling, had too much sugar today, ; )
Probably just skim with Bondo. I've had great success with that followed up with filler primer. Really easy to sand.

Yep that will work. I made a couple of rocket nose cones and used spot putty and filler. It worked but now I have carpal tunnel, lol.
I learned a lot doing this Iron Man helmet for a friend. IT was 3d printed in 6 pieces. Lots of sanding...and filling....and sanding...and filling...
1653356584212.png

Are one of these the right ship part for the pit with the lunar lander in it? Reference of that area is hard to come by. Thanks,
John
1653401619121.png
1653403010028.png

Last edited:
Going to start building this pit. This is what I have so far. The side pieces you can't see have me stuck. :)
Top Starboard Front pit copy.jpg

Last edited:
Okay so I "think" I'm down to just two pieces. If anyone has a hint they'd like to drop, or tell me something's wrong, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!
Top Starboard Front pit copy.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back