An RPF Open Source 5 ft Millennium Falcon Build/Reference Thread. All Are Welcome

Awesome map Craig! And may I say, thanks for doing the Docking Ring Map with Nick in his Millennium Falcon Kit ID's thread, all those years ago. Extremely helpful is a massive understatement!

Is this one of your maps by chance, or was this by Rodmart perhaps?

It has a different look to Nicks maps, and I love to know the original author.
I recognise of course that the ID's would have come from many folk.

Joe & John, I think the popular theory here is that the gun tips may have been hand modified from the 312B which seems entirely plausible.
Ferrari 312B Quad Gun Tip Comparison 23F.jpg

I haven't picked up this kit yet so can't verify.

Regards,
Bjorn

Isn't going to work... the 3 tubes merge to 1 in the center.
Or cut it up, and add an new end to it.. (the straight part)
So we have to keep on searching... or print this part.

IMG_5773.jpg
IMG_5774.jpg

Yea, I figured we have to print them. And as soon as I model them and print them, someone will find the kit part, LOL. Oh well them's the rules,

Joe

The merge collector in the Tamiya 49B isn't shaped like that. There was another Lotus released by Imai in the '60s, but also incorrect.

Bjorn did jog my memory though. The 312B part could be sliced and puttied to resemble the tips but it's hard to say definitively. Those are Dave Jones' hands holding the completed gun turret but the construction details were lost to time.

Craig

The merge collector in the Tamiya 49B isn't shaped like that. There was another Lotus released by Imai in the '60s, but also incorrect.

Bjorn did jog my memory though. The 312B part could be sliced and puttied to resemble the tips but it's hard to say definitively. Those are Dave Jones' hands holding the completed gun turret but the construction details were lost to time.

Craig
You could also take a quad Manifold piece I think the Lotus 72D has that... and cut / split it in 45 degrees... then you have a 2 piece lase tip thingy. But it 'feels' still a fix for what was really used.

Nice work on the rear map John!

I remember seeing a callout to the tips being from the Lotus 49B in Nicks the original ID thread here. (it's an affliction and I need help)...

But similar to Craig, I can't find a piece that looks like this it in the period kit.

David3, I just did a quick search of that 49B picture on the world wide web and alas, it seems to be from a very heavily modified, almost scratch built model Lotus. Perhaps the new 2014/2015 re-release of this kit has something resembling this?

At this stage I'm siding with Craig that it was probably hand modified much like the Me109/Kettenkrad struts for engine petals and Y-Wing engine nacelles. Putty or 3D printing is likely the best option. But not giving up the search altogether.

It seems to me that master model makers Sean Sides and Stuart Brown used 3D printing for their build going off pics in their Super Build Threads or SBT's.

That pic i posted earlier was of the modified Lotus 49b (not sure where i got that)
I do seem to remember years ago some conversation about the original part having to be modified but how accurate that info was i don't know

the gun tips still could be from the Lotus 49 kit. I know this is a definite donor kit for the 5ft falcon
Tamiya 1:12 Lotus 49 Ford F-1 1973.png

i can't find pictures of the sprues but the instructions look promising
Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.39.42 am.png

The AMT Ladder Chief has the exact same engine parts, #123/124, as the California Hauler (Part #547), for dressing up the ends of the cut-offs from the Kenworth W-925 chassis rails on the center underside. The Ladder Chief parts are NOT chromed, so I suspect these would be easier to use and would take paint better.

This is in reference to the un-ID'ed lower section on MF027, in reference to my previous Post #125 on this thread.

The Tamiya 49/49B are the same kit. The B has an added sprue.

Tamiya did put out slight retools of their F-1 kits that affect Millennium Falcon parts. I've found both versions imported by MRC in the 70s.

lotus.jpg

It also happened with the Honda.

honda.jpg

There was something with the M23 too but that escapes me now.

Craig

Last edited:
Yes, this was the 1st release but it also seems that the tooling has changed little if at all over the years.

Not sure about the latest Italeri release, but it seems that you can also use the Hasegawa, DML, Polistil and Revell.

Keep in mind that some of the engine parts used were mostly castings of this kit as they are frosted with other parts like the Harrow Loco as used in the top and bottom of the Jaw Box, and on the Y-wing.

He probably means the LEFT part on this picture...
And then the part that goes on top.

at least there was also some manual labor involved.

IMG_5808.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back