My 5 ft Millennium Falcon Build/Reference thread

Bjorn

Awesome map Craig! And may I say, thanks for doing the Docking Ring Map with Nick in his Millennium Falcon Kit ID's thread, all those years ago. Extremely helpful is a massive understatement!

Is this one of your maps by chance, or was this by Rodmart perhaps?

It has a different look to Nicks maps, and I love to know the original author.
I recognise of course that the ID's would have come from many folk.

Joe & John, I think the popular theory here is that the gun tips may have been hand modified from the 312B which seems entirely plausible.
Ferrari 312B Quad Gun Tip Comparison 23F.jpg

I haven't picked up this kit yet so can't verify.

Regards,
Bjorn

Dimitri-Ajith

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Isn't going to work... the 3 tubes merge to 1 in the center.
Or cut it up, and add an new end to it.. (the straight part)
So we have to keep on searching... or print this part.

IMG_5773.jpg
IMG_5774.jpg

Tsophika

The merge collector in the Tamiya 49B isn't shaped like that. There was another Lotus released by Imai in the '60s, but also incorrect.

Bjorn did jog my memory though. The 312B part could be sliced and puttied to resemble the tips but it's hard to say definitively. Those are Dave Jones' hands holding the completed gun turret but the construction details were lost to time.

Craig

Dimitri-Ajith

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The merge collector in the Tamiya 49B isn't shaped like that. There was another Lotus released by Imai in the '60s, but also incorrect.

Bjorn did jog my memory though. The 312B part could be sliced and puttied to resemble the tips but it's hard to say definitively. Those are Dave Jones' hands holding the completed gun turret but the construction details were lost to time.

Craig
You could also take a quad Manifold piece I think the Lotus 72D has that... and cut / split it in 45 degrees... then you have a 2 piece lase tip thingy. But it 'feels' still a fix for what was really used.

Bjorn

Nice work on the rear map John!

I remember seeing a callout to the tips being from the Lotus 49B in Nicks the original ID thread here. (it's an affliction and I need help)...

But similar to Craig, I can't find a piece that looks like this it in the period kit.

David3, I just did a quick search of that 49B picture on the world wide web and alas, it seems to be from a very heavily modified, almost scratch built model Lotus. Perhaps the new 2014/2015 re-release of this kit has something resembling this?

At this stage I'm siding with Craig that it was probably hand modified much like the Me109/Kettenkrad struts for engine petals and Y-Wing engine nacelles. Putty or 3D printing is likely the best option. But not giving up the search altogether.

It seems to me that master model makers Sean Sides and Stuart Brown used 3D printing for their build going off pics in their Super Build Threads or SBT's.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.