An RPF Open Source 5 ft Millennium Falcon Build/Reference Thread. All Are Welcome

So when you need to bend a part to fit a curvature, is a heat gun overkill? Will a hairdryer be enough? Is there a better way?

Depends, if it's styrene a hair dryer maybe enough. If it's resin you'll need a heat gun. Even with a heat gun, if you're far enough away from the part you can regulate temperature pretty well.

Not too bad for a first pull. Need to work on my pour method though.
View attachment 1661063
There are a lot of halves and partly hidden 8 rad pieces from this part scatterd on the 5ft, I also have a few pulls that where just 'good enough' for using that way. And only using originals on the very visible parts. At least that's what I am doing so far....

So I'm trying to figure this guy out (basically anything not colored in the pic.). Is there an actual piece under all this or is it just lines left over from casting? The details towards the bottom lead me to believe this is a hull of some kind.

Am I crazy?

1675276353663.png

That's part of a bigger cast plate used on the Falcon, the ANH SD and the Death Star Turbo Laser. I always assumed it was styrene as it has to be flat and the uncut part is fairly large.

That's part of a bigger cast plate used on the Falcon, the ANH SD and the Death Star Turbo Laser. I always assumed it was styrene as it has to be flat and the uncut part is fairly large.
You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? I looked all over the turbo laser and didn't see it.

The parts on the Turbo laser are from the Hasegawa Sherman. If you look at the Turbo Laser model the open voids are filled-in and there is kind of odd damage. I believe that is because they are cast and not the kit parts themselves. And we know there were a number of castings made of the master pattern (a part of which you cited above), as cut-up parts show up repeatedly on the Falcon and trench of the ANH SD. So it would make sense they would be lying around and available. The Sherman parts are at one end of the master and easily cut off. And since they are clayed-in for casting they dont have the odd openings that would be present if using the original kit parts. So... motive and opportunity, LOL.
Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 4.37.41 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back