My 5 ft Millennium Falcon Build/Reference thread

t2sides

Sr Member
Just noticed on the pics you provided there seem to be few that are mislabeled. Just a heads up.
Maybe not my place but that just seemed a bit rude and unjust.

That was beyond generous of Tsophika to share those IDs. He was giving you a nice chunk of help from YEARS of research and ID mapping by Tsophika and Many others. Not doing your research first before calling him out like that unfortunately will generate less willingness of others to help.

There’s a lot more value pointing out NEW finds rather than remapping years of existing research.

Sorry, I just don’t like seeing stuff like that when so much time and history exists on Falcon IDs.

jcoffman99

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Maybe not my place but that just seemed a bit rude and unjust.

That was beyond generous of Tsophika to share those IDs. He was giving you a nice chunk of help from YEARS of research and ID mapping by Tsophika and Many others. Not doing your research first before calling him out like that unfortunately will generate less willingness of others to help.

There’s a lot more value pointing out NEW finds rather than remapping years of existing research.

Sorry, I just don’t like seeing stuff like that when so much time and history exists on Falcon IDs.
My apologies. Certainly was not my intent. I’ll slow my roll.

John

bwayne64

Sr Member
Can we talk pipes?

So I have a chance before the end of the school year to have the metal shop kids weld the cross section/mounting pipes. Is 2.25 diameter "x 46 the go to for the cross pipe? My goal is to follow others and mount it to an engine stand while I work on it and then mount it from the bottom when it's finished. What would you recommend for the vertical mounting dimensions?

Thanks!
John
This is something I posted in the Vfxup64 thread. I'm thinking of using this at the center of the armature. Lined up with the gun turret windows and the escape pods. They come in different tube diameters. I think the 1 3/8 " tubes are more than strong enough. Especially since they tie into the body at several points. You can also cut the tubes down if they're too long. Just an idea. I want a 6 way mounting armature. Even if I don't use them all. You'll need an adapter to mount to an engine stand, as the tube there is larger. You probably won't need the eye hooks, ; )

6 way Canopy Fitting.png

Last edited:

jcoffman99

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is something I posted in the Vfxup64 thread. I'm thinking of using this at the center of the armature. Lined up with the gun turret windows and the escape pods. They come in different tube diameters. I think the 1 3/8 " tubes are more than strong enough. Especially since they tie into the body at several points. You can also cut the tubes down if they're too long. Just an idea. I want a 6 way mounting armature. Even if I don't use them all. You'll need an adapter to mount to an engine stand, as the tube there is larger. You probably won't need the eye hooks, ; )

View attachment 1577764
Very cool.

bwayne64

Sr Member
Very cool.
You might want to buy your engine stand if you don't have it, before you make your frame. I have two engine stands and I just measured them. One has a 2.39 " inner diam. and the other was 2.45 ". So they're definitely not standardized. I'm building a custom stand so it's whatever I make it. ; )

jcoffman99

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You might want to buy your engine stand if you don't have it, before you make your frame. I have two engine stands and I just measured them. One has a 2.39 " inner diam. and the other was 2.45 ". So they're definitely not standardized. I'm building a custom stand so it's whatever I make it. ; )
Tried to get one the other day at Harbor Freight. They had one on clearance. Of course when I got there it was gone.

When I get this room remodel finished, I’ll pick one up.

bwayne64

Sr Member
Tried to get one the other day at Harbor Freight. They had one on clearance. Of course when I got there it was gone.

When I get this room remodel finished, I’ll pick one up.
Yea, it's this crazy supply chain stuff. Going to get harder to get anything from China. Stupid warmongers of the world. But I'm not getting into that, LOL.

eagle1

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My apologies. Certainly was not my intent. I’ll slow my roll.

John
I was going to let this slide, but the more i think about it I'll say my piece here, especially as I see Sean has the same feelings.
To be given help with a few ID's here & there is one thing, but to be given a parts map such as Tsophika's is the 'ultimate' gesture & help. But then to say it is inaccurate is bad form!.
I'll accept that you hadn't realised the importance of this gesture, folks that come into the Studio Scale world & start IDing & blueprinting for themselves don't realise the hard work & years of research that has been done before such as this Falcon miniature.
A parts map represents more over not only the authors work, but the work of many, years of pain & searching for just 'that' annoying part that can be eluding.
For us few that have been down the Falcon road, it is a long road i will say, i think 2011when i came into it & already the knowledge base was vast on the ID's, i learnt i had to be patient & not demanding of the amazing guys that had the wealth of knowledge i sought!. It's about building relationships & trust & also doing alot of the work yourself.
Proof of build goes a long way i might add to garner help & trust & that is how i think for myself to help others, I'm not keen on simply handing out what is essentially years & years of material.

In a nutshell then...respect others work, what they are giving out, what that material actually means that you now have that will literally save you years of work. The Studio Scale world is a beast!. It sucks you in, more so when you get in deep. The Falcon is a huge project & never a one person effort in its entirety from start to finish.

Stu

jcoffman99

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was going to let this slide, but the more i think about it I'll say my piece here, especially as I see Sean has the same feelings.
To be given help with a few ID's here & there is one thing, but to be given a parts map such as Tsophika's is the 'ultimate' gesture & help. But then to say it is inaccurate is bad form!.
I'll accept that you hadn't realised the importance of this gesture, folks that come into the Studio Scale world & start IDing & blueprinting for themselves don't realise the hard work & years of research that has been done before such as this Falcon miniature.
A parts map represents more over not only the authors work, but the work of many, years of pain & searching for just 'that' annoying part that can be eluding.
For us few that have been down the Falcon road, it is a long road i will say, i think 2011when i came into it & already the knowledge base was vast on the ID's, i learnt i had to be patient & not demanding of the amazing guys that had the wealth of knowledge i sought!. It's about building relationships & trust & also doing alot of the work yourself.
Proof of build goes a long way i might add to garner help & trust & that is how i think for myself to help others, I'm not keen on simply handing out what is essentially years & years of material.

In a nutshell then...respect others work, what they are giving out, what that material actually means that you now have that will literally save you years of work. The Studio Scale world is a beast!. It sucks you in, more so when you get in deep. The Falcon is a huge project & never a one person effort in its entirety from start to finish.

Stu
I totally get it Stu. I’ve reached out to Craig to apologize. It never even entered my mind how I was coming across. I totally see it, but please know it wasn’t my intent. I was going off of this map so I really thought I was helping. This is why I’m trying to organize all this stuff to weed out the inconsistencies between maps. But I totally get it. My brain tends to go very fast. I’m trying to slow down.

I’ve had several people reach out and thank me for what I’m doing, and I always tell them I’m not really doing anything, that you guys did the heavy lifting. Again, sorry all,

Attachments

• 4751E1B7-C9E3-4187-866C-65404CC2EEFC.png
    4751E1B7-C9E3-4187-866C-65404CC2EEFC.png
    7 MB · Views: 27

Tsophika

Thanks, all. John did reach out and we're good.

I set out to create some 'definitive' part maps to learn as much about the model as I could. The nail was hit on the head: they are a cumulation of a dozen-plus people's eyes, efforts and expenses. And an ever-evolving project as new research is made, so if you do actually find an error, let me know!

I have spent hundreds of hours on this subject myself, even discovered a couple kits here and there, but I was saved literal decades of work by others who reached out to help early on. Friends to this day. And of course Sean and Stu's work speaks for itself.

Few too make it past the collecting stage, so talk of armatures and materials is exciting to see. The discussion in this thread is very much in the spirit of what attracted me to the hobby and I very much look forward to seeing some more 4' Falcons! (ILM called it the 4' model.)

Craig

bwayne64

Sr Member
Just scored this on evil bay, for $25 plus s+h. And it's vintage, ; ) I know the two frame parts are used on the mandibles. Anybody know any other parts used.

s-l400.jpg

bwayne64

Sr Member
Haven’t got to mapping this yet but there are two here on the underside.
Thanks man, looking through the kit to see if anything jumps out. I've been looking at this girl for years and just realized that the top and bottom mandibles have the frame parts. I must be senile, LOL.

jcoffman99

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks man, looking through the kit to see if anything jumps out. I've been looking at this girl for years and just realized that the top and bottom mandibles have the frame parts. I must be senile, LOL.
All the parts blend into one after a while.

Alson on the cockpit and the starboard mandible top. Also on the port outer mandible (#22) THe last one in gray (also port outer mandible) I believe is one that I missed on my map, but I'll need to doublecheck it,
1653185837563.png
1653186356717.png
1653186521712.png
1653186796401.png

Also one more on the bottom neither the other pieces.
1653187143593.png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.