My 31" Nautilus build

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Captain Han Solo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Sr Member

My 31" Nautilus build

I received my 31" boat from Nautilus Dry-docks and Immediately began work on her!
    NjeEeF.jpg

After performing the required clean up of flash(not much at all!) and a nice scrubbing with hot soapy water,The build is simple and quick. The interior of the wheelhouse was assembled inside and out. Currently I only have the ships wheel. The other parts were unusable. Probably getting replacements. Although a minor quibble, the kit did not contain the open breather and hatch part along with the closed one. Bob explained it was a cost cutting measure on Master Model's behalf. If any of you guys have an extra part(s), Please let me know!

I applied my primer and base coat. Then the first of many coats along with weathering.

b2YeHC.jpg
    Ij3HAN.jpg

Are she is now as i prep her for my lighting set up... and a few other details.

I haven't decided yet on how to do the salon. Not a big deal. As I mentioned in another post, I want this build to reflect the 11' Hero as best I can. The boat's color may also change a bit as well.Also the wheel house is not cemented in place yet...although the tip of the raker arch is attached to the top of the house. I am a bit on the fence as to how much detail I want, as mentioned, I want this to reflect the hero, which had no interior detail.

uhteOE.jpg
    TIB6dG.jpg
    JxJyYA.jpg
    W4NfuJ.jpg
    oPr6y2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

31” Nautilus Build “lighting” test. I personally detest overly lit models and upon multiple viewings of the film, I replicated the soft glow of the lights around the salon. I rigged my own light system to reflect the lighting of the filming model!!

5eGwmG.jpg
    oSwFm8.jpg
    C0jTAe.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

31” Nautilus Build continues ... added the wheelhouse lighting. Again, using the filming model as my main reference, a “glowing” effect in the wheelhouse and a soft yellow. The ONLY time the “alligator” eyes were lit in the film was when the boat was navigating the under water cave. And very briefly. It also was probably a reflection of the lights in the wheelhouse. The lights around the salon and the wheel house operate independently of each other, again as seen in the film.

RL6lsL.jpg
    8naat7.jpg
    AAFsm4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

lgJGL2.jpg

dirtydave, George and korben44 like this.
  2. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Looks great!! I have this piece myself and it was a fun build. Bob's a great guy and responded to my e-mails during the build very promptly with a nice friendly attitude.

My biggest problem was I simply could not cut the "googly eyes" for the side windows. I replaced them with small glass domes called "cabochons" I found on Amazon.

Here's how mine turned out
    IMG_0321 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0321 - Copy.JPG

3. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Well done! That looks superb!

4. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Excellent paint job.

TazMan2000

Captain Han Solo likes this.
  5. GF

GF Sr Member

nice job!

What was your base color?

6. Captain Han Solo

7. Captain Han Solo

8. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Been one of my favorite vehicles since I first viewed it. Nice job

32buds likes this.
  9. thepoynt

thepoynt Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

She's beautiful! Great finish on a great model of one of my favorite vehicles from any movie ever. I might have to pick a kit up one of these days...

10. Captain Han Solo

11. Captain Han Solo

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  12. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Are those underwater photos real or photoshop? Did you actually make it sea worthy as an RC? That was way beyond my know-how.

13. Captain Han Solo

I visited my local Hobby shop with my 31" Nautilus today!

xtvuWM.jpg
    dIgR55.jpg
    NaaEcF.jpg
    9SWAn4.jpg
    inlsJd.jpg

32buds and George like this.
  14. Jkirkon

Jkirkon Well-Known Member

Oh man, I was going to go by earlier today but I got sidetracked! Sorry I missed you, Mark! Would have loved to seen it in person.

15. BenCozine

BenCozine Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have seen alot of your work over the last several years here and on other sites, and I have to say this is in my opinion some of your best work to date. Absolutely beautiful paint work and weathering.

16. Captain Han Solo

Re: My 31" Nautilus build

WOW! Many,many sincere thanks sir!

- - - Updated - - -

Would have loved to see you my brother! Couple more builds ahead of your Stardestroyer...I can't wait to start it!!

17. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

Mike, were do you find the time?

Nice work mate.

18. Captain Han Solo

A little more fun with my Nautilus!

NQrT0s.jpg

19. Captain Han Solo

David3 likes this.
  20. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Need a scale Kirk Douglas and a sealion now.

21. Captain Han Solo

22. Gimme Shelter

Gimme Shelter Member

looks absolutely brilliant - I have the Pegasus Hobbies Nautilus on my xmas list but would far prefer this model.... 10/10 from me on your build

23. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

So what did you use to get such a great patina on the model, looks just like weathered brass. I see this listing on their site "Disney Nautilus in 48th scale " wonder when and how much?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  24. Captain Han Solo

I painted the entire boat with brass first after priming with a black primer. To weather the boat I went about then airbrushing the model with RUST(Model Master), Then I mixed a brown/green combination using Tamiya...And sprayed,drybrushed and sprayed it again. I didn't pre shade the model because it looks like...preshading.

I then went about weathering it more Drybrushing and Air brushing. Using a light green, I went about the boat to create the Patina. It's easy to go over the top on this so you need to discipline yourself to stop when it's there. Don't over do it...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  25. Captain Han Solo

26. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

You nailed it. Got to try that out on a few other items I am working on, thanks.

If you arn't old enough or luck enough to have ridden the Disney ride it was one of my favorite rides back in the day. I remember looking at the drained channels as they tore up the old ride wondering how I could make off with one of the subs.

27. Captain Han Solo

28. Captain Han Solo

29. Jkirkon

Jkirkon Well-Known Member

Looks awesome, Mark! Now we need to get you a giant squid...

30. Captain Han Solo

Instead of just having pictures of my work on a table top or a video of the same, I like my builds doing their thing. I have a lot of fun bringing a model to life. Hopefully others can enjoy this as well...

David3 likes this.
  31. David3

David3 Active Member

Great idea!
    You've inspired me to do the same with my Deago MF and J2 (if i ever get the time to finish them :))

32. Captain Han Solo

David3 likes this.
  33. Captain Han Solo

34. Captain Han Solo

I have added a full Salon interior to my build. The lighting operates independently of the other features on the model.

I have a Closed Iris if I want to close up the window. I also added raised breathers another display option which can be switched back to the closed position.
    yzTrrK.jpg
    wXV6IQ.jpg
    Z10QPk.jpg
    fabvs1.jpg
    CUbU3W.jpg
    z5x48G.jpg
    ZQxPxt.jpg
    OyVVM6.jpg

35. Captain Han Solo

rbeach84 likes this.
  36. Captain Han Solo

37. gt350pony66

gt350pony66 Sr Member

yeah,
    I'm late to the game on this thread. I did a search and here it is. Great work dude, looks awesome!! i did one of these a while back and threw it on Ebay for kicks, sold it to a guy in Germany and actually made a few bucks. Then I bought another one, from Bob this time with all the extra goodies. it's waiting in the closet for me to take a break from SW stuff. I did Bob's rusting process on the first one, works great, a little messy but the results were pretty good. my skills have vastly improved since then (thanks to a lot of you guys) So build number two should be much more fun and much better build all together. killer looking boat Captain!(y)

32buds likes this.