My 3/4 size x wing prop build ☺

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Markas1976, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Markas1976

Markas1976 Well-Known Member

Hello again everyone it's good to be back! I've been busy this summer and now I've got a new prop I'm working on that I am happy so far with and will be delighted with if it keeps on going the way it is so far ☺

Apollo likes this.
  2. Markas1976

DSC_9465.JPG DSC_9464.JPG
    Well like anything u have to start somewhere this is where my x wing I'm working on began ☺
    A bunch of spare wood I had lying around from previous builds or that was of other wooden things that was going to be thrown out.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course that alone wouldn't be enough to make this thing but I got very far by seperating old wooden shelf units and all the wood I could muster at home. Including a old kids wooden table that had weakened at the joints ☺

- - - Updated - - -
    And here is the kids table that was lying around that I could make use of also

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    George and Apollo like this.
  3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Go big or go home!

looking forward to this!!

Markas1976 and George like this.
  4. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

All right! Here we go! :)

Markas1976 likes this.
  5. Markas1976

DSC_9468.JPG

So I took a old shelf I had for throwing out its just one of those book-ornament shelves kind around 6-7foot tall ones with shelves like thin planks going across on it. I used the 4 long pieces of wood that would be each corner of the tall shelf and took time to find a position I was happy with for them to look right for a nose. both in terms of shape position and length to sit them out from the mini kids table already mentioned which has become the cockpit due to its shape when I had it upside down and stumbled across while trying to work out how I'd even make this thing lol. ☺

6. Markas1976

DSC_9467.JPG

OK another angle of this thing I know it's little to look at just now but isn't every prop at one point ☺

- - - Updated - - -

This is the biggest prop I've taken on to make so far and without any 3d printer help or any fancy machinery and im working on this on my own start to finish. I think it's gona be a hell of an achievement if I can pull a worthy x wing ship from the ashes ☺.

leviticus likes this.
  7. Markas1976

DSC_9470.JPG

So I got the early shell of the x wing up onto a table making it easier to work on. Ive now added measured pieces of wood all along the frame to strengthen the body and keep its shape tight there is still more pieces to add for strength yet. ☺
    May the force be with you

8. Markas1976

DSC_9469.JPG

A good side angle early pic which I think shows the scale this ship could be when u consider there will be the rear end section past the back of the end of what you see plus a end piece added to the nose also.

9. Markas1976

There was no planning to this build similar to all of the previous ones I've made I had small things to go on for the speeder bike and I came up with a basic idea for the tie fighter but with this nothing I had a reunion party on the sat ngt and I began making this on the monday from scraps and what I had lying here on a quite tight budget for bringing materials in and all done by hand ☺
    A very long way to go yet tho as u can see

10. Markas1976

DSC_9471.JPG

Another angle of early part skeleton

11. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would love to view these photos but they turn up sideways

Seth Skywalker and Markas1976 like this.
  12. geordietrooper

geordietrooper Well-Known Member

opening image in new window/tab works for me

Markas1976 likes this.
  13. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh man this is a dream of mine, can’t wait to see more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markas1976 and George like this.
  14. Markas1976

Sorry bout side ways pics guys annoys me too if it's not that they disappear and uve to re add the pic again grrrr

15. Markas1976

DSC_9472.JPG

Another angle and as u can see I've sat a couple of black bins beside either side of the back of the cockpit roughly where they would line up just to imagine furthur ahead.
    U know the bins is the very first things I bought for this build I just seen them and thought of the engines for the x wing a bit before I actually began making it. It's those brain waves I rely on to get me through these builds don't know how they come about but I'm glad they do lol.

16. Markas1976

DSC_9474.JPG DSC_9477.JPG

Another angle with bins acting as engine parts

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about gap Inbetween pics and info about x wing there's been a lot going on here at home

- - - Updated - - -

17. Markas1976

DSC_9481.JPG DSC_9482.JPG
    Using picnic table and old kitchen table I took advantage of when it was for chucking out everything has its uses both new and old.
    Word of advice from a prop maker like myself keep everything u can things can always come in handy and I'm sure most prop makers would agree with me unless they are minted and don't mind chucking every little thing cause they can buy what they like.

- - - Updated - - -
    reverse view this time

18. Markas1976

DSC_9526.JPG

Adding a top plank along the side of the cockpit section now. I spent a while till I was happy with line of it coming off the nose of the x wing. I watched the x wing toy I've had since 1980 till I was pretty happy with the angle and went ahead ☺

19. Markas1976

DSC_9527.JPG DSC_9529.JPG DSC_9530.JPG
    Furthur out angle of this side now

- - - Updated - - -

Other side of x wings body this time

- - - Updated - - -

Slight different angle of this side I like how its progressing even though its in the very early stages

20. Markas1976

DSC_9532.JPG
    The first batch of new 12mm thick wood has arrived

21. Markas1976

DSC_9534.JPG

This is the 4 black bins I got in a local shop for £28-30 approx they stand around 2 feet tall approx and they was the reason I began the x wing when I did as I could picture them as the engine intakes and it snowballed from there ☺

22. Markas1976

DSC_9538.JPG
    So I bought a bunch of screws lol

23. Markas1976

DSC_9539.JPG DSC_9539.JPG
    so using more spare wood from home i measured and cut a bunch of planks of wood to create a back rest to the cockpit and basically make this build wnd cockpit area take more shape. sometimes u just have to go with ur gut.

24. Markas1976

DSC_9540.JPG DSC_9542.JPG DSC_9543.JPG im enjoying this build the scale it will be and the stature of the x wing in the franchise i have to give it my all.

- - - Updated - - -

piecing the backing of the seated area on a plank at a time

- - - Updated - - -

behind view

- - - Updated - - -

close up

25. Markas1976

DSC_9547.JPG DSC_9545.JPG

back rest of cockpit added

- - - Updated - - -

completed back view of back rest

26. Seth Skywalker

Seth Skywalker Well-Known Member

So cool!

Markas1976 likes this.
  27. Markas1976

thanks seth its quite a build this one enjoyable

28. Markas1976

DSC_9550.JPG

a decent progress view

29. Markas1976

DSC_9551.JPG

another angle squeezed in another little project here i was working on for effect for my starwars garden lol.

30. Markas1976

DSC_9556.JPG
    i had a friend during a lot of this build watching from the tree or the fence and walking about past me or in this case a spot of sunbathing lol

31. Markas1976

DSC_9557.JPG
    so i decided id prefer to turn the x wing frame upside down and get the first parts of the covering on starting with the under carriage

Seth Skywalker likes this.
  32. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome!

Markas1976 likes this.
  33. Dalziel44

Dalziel44 New Member

Markas1976, this is an insanely cool project.

I’ll be following closely.

You look like you’re in the UK, is that right?

When you’re done, can I fly over and take some X-Wing Pilot poses next to it?

Let me know how much you’d charge!

Markas1976 likes this.
  34. Markas1976

Dalziel44 thanks very much and i am in the uk ur right im in the highlands of Scotland.
    ur very welcome to come and see the x wing and the other props ive made i wouldnt change you a penny to come and see any of it. anyone coming to see my collection would be an honour to me and that would be payment enough ☺.
    especially if the likes of yourself would be willing to come from another country that would be extra special ☺

35. Markas1976

DSC_9558.JPG DSC_9559.JPG DSC_9560.JPG
    a familiar site in my garden this has been over the past 14 months or so its a great feeling to be creative and its better when your able to be outside working on stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

another better view of base slowly filling eaxh piece if the jigsaw lol

- - - Updated - - -

and she's back up the normal way again

36. Markas1976

DSC_9561.JPG DSC_9562.JPG
    side view

- - - Updated - - -

thanks mugatu for the nice comment ☺

- - - Updated - - -

Another side view im squeezing in my side project moisture vaporator in there again lol

37. Markas1976

DSC_9563.JPG
    now there is a top panel on the nose of the x wing ☺. im not gona lie there is stages and spells where its tricky working on a large project on your own usually due to the weight of certain pieces or just someone to balance something for ya or hold a bit in place to allow you to go to another bit or another end etc.
    but its amazing how when your forced that u can find a way

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  38. Markas1976

DSC_9565.JPG
    a top view of the top of the nose any imperfections will be ironed out as the build continues. one thing ive learned is even if u doubt any of the build as ur going along u will always have plenty time to fix or get around problems. with every new build uve gained experience and confidence from the last ones ☺.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  39. Markas1976

the old way this site worked was your post had numbered pages now it doesnt seem to or i cant see where it is at least. im only just back since this sites updates and i just want to make sure that the last pic i see on my list is the last one i added lol

40. Markas1976

you also cant see the views you have anymore at the side of your post which i think was a good thing to see also a motivational thing to see is this still visible somewhere or am i blind?

41. Markas1976

1st pic post on my thread since the rpf update
    another view of where i was up to with the x wing from a couple weeks ago's pics.

DSC_9566.JPG

42. Markas1976

behind view slight slant to the nose but thats all under control its not fully attached or tightened yet there is more to do and that cant be done if its to tense it would mean id have to undo many screws etc lol ☺

DSC_9567.JPG

43. Markas1976

ive now added in a nose extension skeleton to give it a platform for bringing the nose in more narrow and to give it something to attach to plus it will also add more length to the build ☺
    u can see my youngest daughter walking along in the background lol.

DSC_9568.JPG

44. Markas1976

close up wont look like much just now mabye but its amazing how things come together ☺.
    during these builds u get spells or moments when u wonder if u will get through the stage your at or even manage to make it at all lol but previous builds help get you through.

DSC_9569.JPG

HEMADEW and jorged123 like this.
  45. Markas1976

front view

DSC_9570.JPG

46. Markas1976

the x wing fits in the 5m x 4m log cabin just now but it wont for much longer

DSC_9572.JPG

47. Markas1976

ok guys so ive added on a nose i had to think a bit due to machinery i have available and materials and the funds as well. so i went for thinner wood but even that would bend to much and snap of course.
    so i added thin strips of wood to top and bottom of ends of the thin wood and attached it slightly up the nose end going towards the cockpit direction and also i added another strip of wood side ways so it isn't to thick or weird looking and i ran the thin wood top and bottom to meet it in the middle at the tip of the nose.
    so each thin piece of wood only has to bend half way and meet this bit of wood in the middle plus it offers the roundedness needed very well ☺ .
    plus with it being lighter weight wood with being thinner it doesnt pull no bad tension as its not solid wood so it holds well ☺ .
    plus with it joining the strips of wood furthur up the nose too it allows for the illusion that its a nose thats a covering for the under nose like the toy or ones in the film.
    u got to do what u got to do when u have limited tools or money but the brain can be a wonderfull thing ☺

DSC_9574.JPG

48. Markas1976

different angle

DSC_9575.JPG

49. Markas1976

50. Markas1976

its a shade rough in areas and little imperfections along the way but they can always be ironed out in various ways ☺
    so far so good

DSC_9577.JPG

mugatu likes this.