My $250 "Bucky Rescue" Captain America

Fixed the loose threads on the handle today with brass inserts. Also soaked the pants in some watered down black fabric paint because they're not really dark or dirty enough for my taste. If that doesn't work, I've got some black rit dye from my ghostbusters build I can try.

Can't wait to see this one! I'd really love to see the overall effect of what you've been able to do on this budget.

I've been following all the "rescue" builds and this is one of my favorites. Dan's (aka "The Man's) is absolutely awesome as well. Wish I could afford one of his jackets... :)

Oh, so Dan does own LogansCloset. I wasn't sure!

I'd have liked to buy one of his jackets for this build, but if I had I wouldn't have dared weather it, so maybe it's a good thing I couldn't afford one. :)

Got the star done today!

cap-star.jpg

I first tried to sew on just the hobby foam star I'd cut out, but my first attempt resulted in stitches that cut right through the foam. I decided then that the foam was simply too flimsy on its own, which left me with my only option being fabric. Since I had the star cut out already however, I decided to change my original plan, which had been to use just fabric, to using foam wrapped in fabric instead. I still had the problem that led me to using the foam in the first place which was the corners of the star fraying, but I decided to see how it would look anyway, and I would make the process easier by sewing the fabric on the the foam first, before I sewed it onto the shirt. That way if I really screwed up I could change tactics.

The fabric I used is a satin wedding dress fabric, but I decided to have the back side facing out because it had an interesting texture to it that went well with the cotton t-shirt.

Anyway, when I got done sewing the star I had lots of frayed edges on it, and I didn't wrap it tightly enough in other places, so I snipped away the excess fabric, and I decided that it looked pretty cool. I mean I'm doing a battle damaged Cap, and the shirt's probably going to get dirtied up a bit anyway, so it makes sense that the star on his chest would take some damage too.

So there ya have it. One battle damaged star. If I was doing stage Cap, and I wanted a nice star, I think machine embroidery would be the only way to go. And I think it looks like that's what they did now that I can see the bluray release. That's a bunch more money though and not something I want to do on this budget build. :)

cap-cosmiccube.jpg

I don't think I'll be carrying this around Halloween night. Just made it to see if I could. :)

Cube is 4" square acrylic and lined with opalescent color changing plastic wrap. Three glowsticks and five glow bracelets provide the illumination. Not really bright enough in a well lit room, but it looks neat in the dark.

I tried several other methods to make the cube look more cosmic before finding the plastic wrap. I tried scrunching up regular food plastic wrap but that looked crappy and was too transparent. I also tried coating the inside with various things, like soap, pomade, and shaving gel. The best looking result with that method I got with some blue hair gel, but it was messy and the effect just didn't have enough depth to it.

Got the goggles done. They came out looking great. Adding the finishing touches to the shield now. I'll post pics tonight!

Here's the final foam for the goggles. I decided that the rubber and elastic band in in the film are most likely grey, not white, so I dyed the elastic and bought some grey foam:

cap-goggles1.jpg

I also purchased some leather, because the real goggles of the era had leather backing on the rubber, and because the foam alone was too flimsy, and I thought I might need to sew the lenses on:

cap-goggles2.jpg

And here you see the final goggles. The bit between the lenses is wood covered in aluminum tape, and held in place with more tape between the lenses. I tried to find a way to make it hinged, because it needed to be flexible to wrap the goggles around the helmet, but the tape is the only solution I could come up with on short notice.

(The "strap" below the goggles is a surplus sweat band which I picked up for $4.)

cap-helmet6.jpg

cap-helmet5.jpg

Closeup of Cap's goggles for comparison. My goggles were $10 + $6 for elastic, foam, and leather. Replicas of the exact WWII goggles he wears here go for $250. Real WWII goggles go for around $300-$500:

cap3.jpg

And here's the finished shield!

cap-shield12.jpg

cap-shield13.jpg

cap-shield14.jpg

cap-shield15.jpg

cap-shield16.jpg

I used reference photos from the film when distressing it. The weathering was done with black and white paint markers, black paint soaked into a paper towel and dabbed on or rubbed in, aluminum paint brushed on with a 1" brush slightly wet with paint, and fuller's earth mixed with some water to make mud which was also brushed on. Sandpaper was used in spots to cut down the work with the paint markers to make the marks look more real.

I missed the silver in the bullet hole, but I might add that later.

For comparison:

cap-shield17.jpg

I gotta tell you I was worried when I started weathering the shield that it was gonna look like garbage and that I'd screw up a beautiful prop, but I'm really happy with the end result!

Last edited:
Finally finished processing the photos from Halloween. Enjoy!

Manchester, NH - Oct 29th

As you may have heard, we got hit by a HUGE snowstorm on the 29th which dropped a foot of snow on us. This killed the evening's festivities, but I still went out, despite having to hike three miles through snow drifts in full gear! I wasn't gonna miss my chance at a $1500 prize!

halloween2011-gaga3.jpg

halloween2011-beetlejuice.jpg

halloween2011-thriller.jpg

halloween2011-teenwolf.jpg

cap-diner1.jpg

cap-diner2.jpg

cap-diner3.jpg

cap-diner4.jpg

Sadly, I didn't win the contest, Lady Gaga and Teen Wolf did, but the evening wasn't a total loss. I got to have a snowball fight with Mario and Ron Jeremy, and found the shield quite effective. I also talked to a dude in the local diner after who said he saw me walking down the street and asked, in all seriousness, if the National Guard was back in town.

Salem, MA - Halloween

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

The Red Skull appeared at the last minute and offered me $20 for the Cosmic Cube. How could I resist? He said he was a big fan of my films!

In case anyone's wondering, I did some research and it looks like the A on his helmet is Arial Bold, with faux Bold enabled, and it is roughly 2.5" tall, and 2.5" from the base of the helmet.

I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank you!

EDIT: Isn't Arial Bold just Arial with faux Bold enabled?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back