My 1st Indiana Jones prop - A modified PaulW Grail

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

JKKS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
At the very beginning of march I decided that starting an Indiana Jones prop collection might be a good idea.
I'm a casual prop/replica collector and I've basically never done or modified a replica myself (except for a recent run of a Captain America related replica on these boards).

A few weeks ago I bought a Grail replica from PaulW. I thought that it would be a great start for my personal Grail. I especially liked is work on the gold leafing of the cup from the pics and I realized when I got his Grail in hand that it was really a high end job. But I wanted my Grail to look more like the first grail seen on Last Crusade and less like the "archive" Grail. Using several 1080p screencaps, I picked the version I liked the most, and began working on it.

I started with a little weathering work on the gold leafing, I followed with several layers of acrylic paint to give the Grail the proper aged and deeper look I wanted. Then I sanded the layers of paint a bit so some gold can still shine through it. Finally I worked on the finish using a very small amount of ashes and two coats of neutral polish. I overall spent around 10 more hours on it.

Here are a few pics to show you the final product and the progress. The first one being on of the screencaps I used as reference and the second one, the Grail exactly like I received it. 3 is the final product, 4 a close-up of it:

And here's a link to a photobucket album with higher resolution of these pictures: Indiana Jones Holy Grail pictures by J-K-K-S - Photobucket

I would love to know what you guys think of it. ;)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

DCW

Looks great! I'm getting a gold cup and need to weather it down, how did you weather yours?

JKKS

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It wasn't a full gold cup so the only thing I had to do was to age the gold "mapping" you see on the first picture.

I used a basic knife to add some scratches to the surface and I sanded it just a little to tone down the shininess of the gold. Then I rubbed the gold with an antiquing patina called Louis XIII Bitume de Judée (don't know the english for that).

The rest of the work is mainly painting (acrylic), sanding, rubbing the cup in actual ashes and neutral shoe polish for the finish.

The key is to be patient, I spent around three days on mine just so I could let my mind rest a bit and then I came up with new ideas to get the finish I was thinking about.