RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Project- Two Hero Idenity Disks from Tron 82'

A red "Bad guy" Disc
vlcsnap-2176770.png

vlcsnap-2011-02-15-00h32m23s31.png

and a Blue "Good Guy" Disc
vlcsnap-2011-02-15-00h33m21s115.png

vlcsnap-2011-02-15-01h24m57s100.png

The real discs used by the actors were flat white frisbees with black gaffer tape rings that would be made to glow later in post production.

Tron-1982.jpg

Also in a recent auction one of these hero discs went up for sale. It's diameter was 9 ¼ in. diameter.

19818_1106_1_lg.jpg

I wanted to do this on the cheap and quick so I first needed some glowing frisbees. The problem is that most glowing frisbees are a milky white color and have different colored LEDs built into them for the different color effects.

flashflight_combo_blue.png

However after a little searching I found a cheap knockoff brand on Ebay that was being sent in from China that had the colored plastic I was looking for.

KGrHqZgwE29ZuLd4DBN-9INg_3.jpg

KGrHqJloE2D6HNQrBNYCC8Low_3.jpg

They weren't the correct diameter but they were cheap (about 10 bucks each), had a good color to them, and best of all no raised writing or graphics. Just a couple of easily peeled stickers. The glow is kinda weak and there is still an area of raised grip lines on top but what do you want for ten bucks and no work?

818.jpg

822.jpg

820.jpg

816.jpg

Next I had to make a stencil to paint the non-glowy areas white.

Using Adobe Illustrator I took measurements from the auction photos and applied them to my larger frisbees. It worked out that the stripes and spaces would be 1/2 inch each with a 1/2 inch diameter dot in the middle.

I initially intended to take these vector outlines and have a sign company cut them out of some masking vinyl but I kept putting it off and decided to just do it the old fashioned way.

I wrapped the two frisbees in blue painters tape and with a compass marked the half inch increments.

1619.jpg

1621.jpg

The X's marked the sections that would remain stuck to the Frisbee.

Using the same compass I replaced the pencil with an exacto knife and cut along all the radiating pencil lines using small swipes. The blade wanted to veer off if I tried to make one big long cut.

1623.jpg

Cutting the last stripe on the edge wasn't possible with the compass so I used a sketch book to hold the exacto at the proper height as I spun the Frisbee against the stationary blade.

1622.jpg

I burnished the edges of my tape nice and tight against the plastic for a clean edge. The exposed plastic was then hit with a few coats of Krylon Fusion gloss white that was left over from a previous project. I would have preferred a flat/ matte finish for a greater contrast in texture but convenience won that day. :)

1624.jpg

The paint dried/cured overnight and I peeled the remaining tape.

1625.jpg

Here they are glowing with the lights on-
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

And with the lights OFF!
photo1.jpg

photo4.jpg

The Fusion paint adhered to the plastic perfectly. I do wish I had burnished the masking tape down onto the surface of the red disc a little better since there was a little underspray in a couple spots. Nothing big but it hurts that clean digital look upon closer examination.

I'd also like to install more powerful LEDs or perhaps sand the backside of the plastic to help disperse the light a little more evenly but they look pretty cool for how little work I had to put into the project.

Not bad for 20 bucks and some supplies I had lying around!

Nick

Last edited:
Re: My 1982 Tron Disc build

Thanks!

Like I said above there is still room for improvement.
-Brighter LEDs
-Closed back
-Sand plastic for better light dispersal
-I'd even like to see the disc itself done as a custom Vaccuformed piece with recessed grooves for the colored rings to give it some dimensionality

Project for some other time though.

Nick

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back