DELETED.

That model is fantastic. I need to work on my skills on some less complex models first before I tackle one of the 1/350s, but they are definitely on the to-do list!

Back issues are a bitch. Hope your not in too much discomfort.

As far as your modeling skills go- Magnificent!

Did you use one of the light kits out there or was this all done yourself?

I was hoping to work on mine over this winter, but I can't get started until I figure out a lighting/motor system.

Obviously the motor would be more screen accurate, but the potential for noise concerns me. That's why Tena's faux LED fan blade set up has some appeal to me. I can't pull the trigger though because, doggone it, a true rotating set of blades is simply the real deal.

Do you know the RPMs you are getting and do you get much noise with the gears turning that slow?

This is one of the motors I'm looking at.

DC3V 6V 12V N20 Micro Speed Reduction Gear DC Motor with Metal Gearbox Wheel New | eBay

Seems like only the 6v is rated for 50 RPM (I thinking yours must be between 25 and 50 ?). Would you recommend an attenuator with a 12v 100 RPM motor instead?

Sorry to bombard you will all these questions, but it's a testament to the wonderful job you did.

Just one criticism- longer videos next time! We really need more time to appreciate the work here :)

I got back in to kit building this time last year thanks to the various SW kits. That's what brought me here and motivated me to register and post.

However, work got in the way and I haven't got back in the groove with those yet.

I saw the PL Star Trek kits over the summer and quickly snapped up both the TOS and the re-fit. I love the size and I thought at the time, they would be much simpler builds as I was getting stuck trying to power and light the SW kits on my own. It was only after getting them that I paid closer attention and learned about the various issues with the PL lighting kit.

I ended up picking up the refit lighting kit that Tena Controls sells, because I love the start up sequencing, something I knew I wouldn't be able to do on my own any time soon. However the aztecing required for that one is something I'm gonna need to work my way up to.
So that kit is on the back burner as well now.

The TOS would seem to be the much simpler build, but I've been stymied trying to choose best way to go as far as using or not using motors.

Because wiring and circuitry is not something in my wheelhouse, everything I was getting up to speed on with the SW stuff last year, I've pretty much forgotten.

I'm thinking I'm going to need to run two separate circuits with their own power sources- one for the broussards and one for all the other lights.

Was the interior lighting brightness simply a matter of adding higher resistance?

Your work is spot on! I work just 2 blocks from the Air & Space and have visited the TOS E several times. I was there the day they first had it on display after it was refurb'ed. Anyway, Hope you are healing up OK. I wanna see you do more stuff. Maybe a TV seaview that drops a Flying sub, or a Derelict with working doors.

Gosh thats a real beauty you have there! I agree with your logic about the bridge and shuttle bay, keeping the model as close to the filming miniature feels right ( lthough I have seen some amazing interiors done by others).
I have one of these to build, and would love to pic your brains regarding your build when you are up to it!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back