My 1/350 TOS Enterprise build

Here now is my personal 1/350 Starship Enterprise build. The model was constructed to reflect the filming miniature as seen during the production of the original Star Trek TV series. Using research material I had collected over the years I set out to make the best reproduction of the filming model.

Here is some of what I did...

I filled in and sanded smooth those horrid gridlines(This was built prior to the release of the smooth hull).

The model was weathered as closely as possibly to reflect the original, but in a smaller scale.

No Shuttle bay or Bridge detail...why? Because it was never seen in the series and ,to me, presents a distraction.
The lighting was adjusted to reflect correct scale(The crew shouldn't need welder's goggles to walk the ship).

The Engine pods were lit and the motorized ,Again, to reflect how they actually appeared in the series.

The model is shown here in it's rawest form.

Thanks!

ALLEY

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Love it! I have got to get started on mine at some point.

The hull base color looks perfect. What color and brand did you go with?

Love it! I have got to get started on mine at some point.

The hull base color looks perfect. What color and brand did you go with?
Many Thanks! She was indeed a labour of love. Base coat and subsequent coats I can't remember...Ill have to dig into my notes. However I just had extensive back surgery and I won't be able to get to that stuff in some time. Sincere apologies.

Miles Kendig

Back issues are a bitch. Hope your not in too much discomfort.

As far as your modeling skills go- Magnificent!

Did you use one of the light kits out there or was this all done yourself?

I was hoping to work on mine over this winter, but I can't get started until I figure out a lighting/motor system.

Obviously the motor would be more screen accurate, but the potential for noise concerns me. That's why Tena's faux LED fan blade set up has some appeal to me. I can't pull the trigger though because, doggone it, a true rotating set of blades is simply the real deal.

Do you know the RPMs you are getting and do you get much noise with the gears turning that slow?

This is one of the motors I'm looking at.

DC3V 6V 12V N20 Micro Speed Reduction Gear DC Motor with Metal Gearbox Wheel New | eBay

Seems like only the 6v is rated for 50 RPM (I thinking yours must be between 25 and 50 ?). Would you recommend an attenuator with a 12v 100 RPM motor instead?

Sorry to bombard you will all these questions, but it's a testament to the wonderful job you did.

Just one criticism- longer videos next time! We really need more time to appreciate the work here :)

Back issues are a bitch. Hope your not in too much discomfort.

As far as your modeling skills go- Magnificent!

Did you use one of the light kits out there or was this all done yourself?

I was hoping to work on mine over this winter, but I can't get started until I figure out a lighting/motor system.

Obviously the motor would be more screen accurate, but the potential for noise concerns me. That's why Tena's faux LED fan blade set up has some appeal to me. I can't pull the trigger though because, doggone it, a true rotating set of blades is simply the real deal.

Do you know the RPMs you are getting and do you get much noise with the gears turning that slow?

This is one of the motors I'm looking at.

DC3V 6V 12V N20 Micro Speed Reduction Gear DC Motor with Metal Gearbox Wheel New | eBay

Seems like only the 6v is rated for 50 RPM (I thinking yours must be between 25 and 50 ?). Would you recommend an attenuator with a 12v 100 RPM motor instead?

Sorry to bombard you will all these questions, but it's a testament to the wonderful job you did.

Just one criticism- longer videos next time! We really need more time to appreciate the work here :)

Many thanks!! Very much appreciated. OK... so this actually started out as the Polar Lights lighting kit. However it’s basically my own creation at this point. My motors are super quiet and are tied into a variable speed potentiometer accessible via easy removable of the front deflector. None of the available lighting kits appeared correct to me. And most were so bright you need welders goggles. Same goes for the rest of the lighting. It was all toned down to reflect correct scale.

The model’s as physically close to the original as I currently can get. It’s awesome when your work is appreciated by like minded fans. To be honest, I didn’t think there would be much interest in this which kinda determines the length of my videos. If it doesn’t have a Stormtrooper helmet or Millennium Falcon in the title, the thread tends to drop off.

Last edited:

Miles Kendig

I got back in to kit building this time last year thanks to the various SW kits. That's what brought me here and motivated me to register and post.

However, work got in the way and I haven't got back in the groove with those yet.

I saw the PL Star Trek kits over the summer and quickly snapped up both the TOS and the re-fit. I love the size and I thought at the time, they would be much simpler builds as I was getting stuck trying to power and light the SW kits on my own. It was only after getting them that I paid closer attention and learned about the various issues with the PL lighting kit.

I ended up picking up the refit lighting kit that Tena Controls sells, because I love the start up sequencing, something I knew I wouldn't be able to do on my own any time soon. However the aztecing required for that one is something I'm gonna need to work my way up to.
So that kit is on the back burner as well now.

The TOS would seem to be the much simpler build, but I've been stymied trying to choose best way to go as far as using or not using motors.

Because wiring and circuitry is not something in my wheelhouse, everything I was getting up to speed on with the SW stuff last year, I've pretty much forgotten.

I'm thinking I'm going to need to run two separate circuits with their own power sources- one for the broussards and one for all the other lights.

Was the interior lighting brightness simply a matter of adding higher resistance?

Don't get me wrong... I love the ORIGINAL Star Wars AND the Millennium Falcon.

The original Series Enterprise has much more to it than most think. The subtle weathering and painting for one. I would actually make a bold statement and say it's harder to get right(look like the filming miniature) Than the Refit. A personal Refit is in the works for me as soon as I can go to the Bathroom myself.

If you want it to look like it did during the production of the series, you're going to need the motorized fans in the Engine Pods. Any other way and it looks wrong You're going to have to do it yourself as not one kit out there is right. Regretfully , as mentioned I’m am sidelined now and can’t get to my notes. However, once I start being mobile again I’ll help you guys out. Don't follow the crowd.

The lighting is way too bright for the scale. You have to dim it down. How? Well before you add resistors Sand the INSIDE of the windows. Spray a couple coats of clear flat. You will already notice a difference.

My motors will spin as fast or slow as I want them to. I just gently remove the front navigational deflector and adjust the spin rate. The brightness of the engine pods should also be in line. Don't follow the crowd and make them so bright you need sunglasses to view them.

Do your own research!! Don’t depend on the YouTube jockeys. The Roddenberry Vault has some excellent references.
Of course, this is all assuming you want the model to look like the Miniature during Star Trek's original Un remastered run.

Last edited:

y3a

Your work is spot on! I work just 2 blocks from the Air & Space and have visited the TOS E several times. I was there the day they first had it on display after it was refurb'ed. Anyway, Hope you are healing up OK. I wanna see you do more stuff. Maybe a TV seaview that drops a Flying sub, or a Derelict with working doors.

Having forgotten I had these brief videos that I had finished prior to my surgery and thinking there probably would be no interest in this type of Model kit film anyway(it's not a table top video with a shaky cell phone), I kinda tossed them. However with out much to do while I recuperate, I revisited them and thought they were kinda cool. A tribute to the Star Trek effects masters(I detest the "remastered effects"), without the Hollywood money, Just passion and love for the original.

Last edited:

GMan68

Gosh thats a real beauty you have there! I agree with your logic about the bridge and shuttle bay, keeping the model as close to the filming miniature feels right ( lthough I have seen some amazing interiors done by others).
I have one of these to build, and would love to pic your brains regarding your build when you are up to it!