My 1/32 Round 2 Star Trek Galileo 7 build.

MARK M3

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So let’s try this again... the Round 2 1/32 Galileo 7 .

I reserve the evenings for "me" Build time, so I worked on this.
The roof slides off so I can add lights...or an Interior kit from Polar Lights if they make it.
The lighted areas will be the rear engine and interior cabin.
I painted the model to match the color suggestions on the box and reference material.
The paint was Model Master I mixed them.
Even though the hatch is closed in the photo, the lower area swings down and the top is removable. It's tacked in place right now until the decals fully cure.

The viewport "glasss" In not in place yet. I may display the model with the windows closed.

KYK8u1.jpg

HkZ5xJ.jpg

zouv1x.jpg

I couldn’t sleep last night so I made my own light kit.
The rear engine lights. The switch is hidden inside the model.
I made the model with the viewports closed for now as that’s how it was mostly seen in the episode Galileo 7. I felt it looked odd with nothing to see inside, Your Milage may vary.
It can easily be removed to install the glass at a later date.
My Nacelles will NOT light up...why? Because they didn't in the series. I am well aware they were wired but I am a purist. I told you I was a boring builder!

qRVoMa.jpg

x6lSTy.jpg

X28Yt0.jpg

Last edited:
I saw your build this morning on Facebook, REALLY fantastic. I just received mine yesterday and I'm hoping at least one comes out looking this good!

Nice job!

Is it just me, or is the Round 2 model based more upon the 3/4 full-size mock-up than the filming miniature?

It looks great - mine arrived the other day, but I have not had time to dig into it.

So you went with the 2 tone hull. I've been looking at all the reference I can find, and I think the lower hull being darker might be an optical illusion. But I can see where reasonable people could thin it was a different color. I think that the only darker gray is on the tubes

Jedi Dade

The model is mostly based on the 3/4 scale mockup according to Gary Kerr. The one thing I'm concerned about is getting the look of the rear "impulse deck" right with the seams. On the mockup it's very clean and completely black inside that area without the vertical impulse vents or whatever lit up and it seems like it would be a chore to duplicate that look especially if you want to leave the roof removable (which is a good idea). Anyway should be getting mine tomorrow--it's wonderful to finally have an accurate styrene kit of this subject after all these years.

I thought I read somewhere that Greg Jein allowed the studio model to be referenced for this? Maybe I'm mis-remembering?

Jedi Dade

My understanding is that the kit is a hybrid between the studio prop and the miniature. The original was painted in a two-tone color scheme. Gary Kerr mentioned that the upper hull, stabilizers and pylons were painted the same color as the "Medium Gray Trim" color as specified in his paint guide for the Enterprise, with the lower hull and pods painted the "Dark Gray Trim" color specified in the same guide. My kits arrive tomorrow as well. Really looking forward to getting started.

E

I’m not sure about the source of these photos, but this is, reportedly, the studio original, after some restorative work.

8BC984DD-7BC5-4636-837D-FC8C3423EEA4.jpeg
2668698E-0C09-4C89-949D-84D77E5D8172.jpeg
65D19106-516E-4D5D-B945-7D357AC426C8.jpeg
1CDB3CDC-0A49-49A2-BCB9-A679E49AB7D9.jpeg

Followed by its cameo as set decoration on an early TNG episode....

04EC49DF-B29F-4E2B-AE06-58044546F72E.jpeg

The model then, reportedly, underwent additional restoration:

ED47338A-871D-4B45-A620-C6D81D2B971A.jpeg

Last edited:
I actually prefer the earlier version of the shuttle, as they were developing the design, that does not have the warp nacelles attached and runs strictly on impulse power. I may customize one of these kits into this version...
3FB45472-7009-4688-9419-3326119C6F07.jpeg

Did a TOS shuttlecraft even travel at warp speeds??

Last edited:
I actually prefer the earlier version of the shuttle, as they were developing the design, that does not have the warp nacelles attached and runs strictly on impulse power. I may customize one of these kits into this version...
View attachment 1339109

Did a TOS shuttlecraft even travel at warp speeds??

I was thinking that Metamorphosis required it, but I'm not sure.

Repeat to yourself, it's just a show, I should really just relax.

Last edited:
Many thanks to
Gary Kerr
in getting the color correct!!
Although it wasn’t exactly easy, the upper and lower hull colors HAD to be mixed then lightened a little for correct scale.
If you want it like the 22’ prop, you can’t get the colors from a rattle can.
The weather has been downcast and rainy, so I took some quick pictures with the sunlight.

Per Gary Kerr, the model is based mostly on the 22' Prop.

5IzeYU.jpg

OR4fWR.jpg

yB9I85.jpg

9wUolA.jpg

LnRdU6.jpg

It looks great - mine arrived the other day, but I have not had time to dig into it.

So you went with the 2 tone hull. I've been looking at all the reference I can find, and I think the lower hull being darker might be an optical illusion. But I can see where reasonable people could thin it was a different color. I think that the only darker gray is on the tubes

Jedi Dade
It is two tone...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back