MW3 and BF3: Who's playing what on what?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Sean Hebein, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Sean Hebein

Sean Hebein Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Considering we have some perspective awesome games coming up in the next couple weeks I thought it might be nice to see who is going to play what and on what system. If you are going to be playing on PC, post some of your specs.

I'll start:
    I'm playing both MW3 (I like the single player story) and BF3 (I <3 the multiplayer) on PC. My old PC needed some upgrades so I decided to start fresh and build a new one. My specs are:
    Core i7 2600K
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Mobo
    16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Memory
    For a video card I currently have a NVIDIA GTX460 but I am torn between getting another 460 for SLI or upgrading to a different card. Decisions, decisions. Opinions on this are welcome.

2. Shade88

Shade88 Well-Known Member

I'll wait to either A: for the price to go down, or B: To get a job to afford all of these frickin' games.

Whenever I get the games, I will be playing them the same way I play every game... With my trusty Halo 3 Limited edition Xbox 360. (I've had this bad boy since '07.):love

3. Chevyh0tr0d

Chevyh0tr0d Well-Known Member

I will probably be playing both, on my PC. As I like the Single Player for Cod games, and can not wait to play the MP for BF3 on my PC. I need to upgrade my video card before playing either. Sold some stuff on ebay, and such. So I should have the cash together in mid Nov, which is exactly when I get a 3 week break from ITT tech.

4. DanielS

DanielS Well-Known Member

I'll probably only play BF3 since I'm a lot for single player and I didn't really like MW2 ('cause of that tpyical 'war is only bad when it hits you and your home and not other people' theme) Allthough I will most likely buy it eventually... I'm a sucker for FPS games... well, games overall.

I'll play on my PS3 since I like the experience of a big screen, bad-* sound and vibration in the controller as I pull the trigger :p

5. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I preordered BF3 for the PC. Probably won't bother with MW3. I thought MW2's single player was pretty goofy (although some scenarios were cool), and CODBLOPS wasn't much better. Plus, no vehicles.

6. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

*...I dunno if My PC is up to the task of BF3. I will likely be banging away at it on the XBox until TOR releases.

7. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

From playing the beta briefly, I think mine can handle it, especially if I turn off some of the fancier graphical features (which doesn't really bother me).

8. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

My video card is my weak link right now. I'll have to look at the recommended specs to see how close I come.

9. .:MirrorminD:.

.:MirrorminD:. Sr Member

I use to play Battlefield when it first came out on the PC, but in the past 5+ yrs I have been solely a COD guy on the xbox.

10. Borzou

Borzou Active Member

Is it true that BF3 will not have commander mode anymore? All articles I've read confirms this but a girl I talked to that works at Gamestop assures me that the role of commander has been reinstated.

11. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I didn't play the Beta, but from what I've read the Commander has been replaced by Squad Leader, which has similar capabilities.

I getting BF3 tomorrow for PC. My PC is four years old:
    Intel QX6700 (quad core)
    4GB Ram
    BFG GTX285's in SLI.

I haven't found anything that won't run at or near high settings yet, so hopefully I won't have any problems.

I'll get MW3 when the price goes down because I want to play through the story. I could care less about their MP mode.

12. aron42486

aron42486 Well-Known Member

I play all my online games on my PS3. I don't want to pay for Xbox Live (plus I still have a 2nd gen that might die at an moment) and my PC isn't beefy enough to do these games justice.

I picked up BF3 at midnight last night and was awake long enough to install the updates before having to turn in. I have heard great things about Battlefield and look forward to playing it.

I was however weaned on COD so that will most likely be my bread and butter once released.

Would love to play with fellow RPFers though, friend me and send a message saying you are from here. PSN name is the same as this one

<~~~~~~

13. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

uh bf3 rant!
    no selections of single player maps/or even the multiplayer maps.
    origin install is a pain in the *, had to repeatedly put in the password and it would say it was wrong. then after the 3rd time, it finally worked.
    menus via browser is a pain........... geez

14. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I don't mind the menu browsers at this point. Initially it was a little weird, but you get used to it and it provides a ton more information without requiring you to log in to the game itself (IE: your progression on this or that weapon).

I think you can go back and re-play single player missions after you finish them but...why would you want to? so far, the SP is pretty lackluster (and not really the point). Co-op you can select once you've unlocked the mission.

There is no commander mode, which, frankly, I don't miss anyway.

Right now, my big complaint is that recon gets jack by way of points for actually providing recon, and the sniper rifles are only so-so. The other classes are a blast to play, though.

15. Deric

Deric Sr Member

I have BF3 but will probably trade it towards MW3 in the next day or so. I really wanted to like it but can't get into it. I guess I'm one of those who likes to run and shoot versus crawl sleep and stake out for long periods of time. Oh I'm on PS3 by the way.

16. Sean Hebein

I've heard BF3 for console is kind of weak. On PC it rocks. We need to get some PC players in here!

17. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Does one of you guys use the name RichardSpank in BF3? I got some random request to add a buddy on there and I'm trying to figure out who the hell it is.

18. wilq

wilq New Member

Playing BF3 on PC

19. yodaman

yodaman Sr Member

BF3 and MW3 on 360

20. Sluis Van Shipyards

I posted a thread on BF3 and no one replied so I thought no one was playing it. I'm Wraith_3Snpr (usually Wraith_3, but someone took it...) on PC. It will be a LOT better if they implement squad voice chat like BF2. They shafted PC users by not including it so it's hard to communicate now. DICE said no one wanted it, when EVERYONE used it in BF2.

MW3 is just deathmatch and BF3 is more strategic. I don't know where some of you played, but there's never any sitting around unless you're sniping. Even then the only way to score a lot of points is to act more as a designated marksman in a squad.

21. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Actually I'd say MG is the way to go for maximizing points. I literally sat in a tunnel with my ammo crate on me so I constantly restocked ammo and just laid waste. If I remember correctly, I went 45:3 and earned 31 ribbons/awards.

Don't ask me why but they just kept coming. I can almost guarantee my rep got hit bad on Xbox live because of that match.

22. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Assault is the point monster. Get on a 64 player server and play a round of Metro Conquest with 1000 tickets as assault. Just spend your time dropping health bags and reviving folks and you can easily crack the top 3 without ever firing your gun.

23. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

That's the one thing I really hate about playing it on my Xbox is that the maximum amount of players we get is 24 on a server. 64 players would be mind blasting.

24. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

For some maps, it's awesome, and a great way to rack up huge scores in a round. For a lot of other maps, it means you die A LOT. with that many people, and so much open ground, unless your team is SERIOUSLY coordinated (not happening, because there's no VOIP in the game right now for PC), you'll just get chewed to bits.

Overall, I really enjoy the game. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the performance differences between weapons, and we have very little hard data yet (plus, I haven't unlocked a lot of stuff), but I like it overall.

Three of the main classes "Feel" abuot perfect (Assault/Medic, Support, and Engineer). Recon sucks right now. They're next to useless. I can explain more if folks are curious, but basically, your guns are mostly crap, and your role on the battlefield is more of an afterthought. Recon sucks. There's no getting around it.

Most of the vehicles feel good. Tanks, LAVs, and the amphibious assault carrier are all cool. Jeeps and such are good too. Attack choppers seem fine.

Scout and transport choppers and planes, though, seem kinda pointless.

There's still obviously kinks to work out with the game (at least on PC), but it can be a hell of a lot of fun, too. The maps are pretty good as well, both for Rush and Conquest. I don't bother with TDM, or the Squad Rush/Squad TDM game modes, but I might give them a try later.

I like that you get to gradually build up each gun's selection of accessories, although there's a lot of fairly useless crap for certain guns. Like, why would I want to put an ACOG scope on my shotgun? and why do I need a red dot sight vs. a holo sight vs. the Russian equivalents for each? That stuff I think is just treadmilling to treadmill, but as I said, there are some genuinely useful things to grab.

I really like how all but the recon kits are able to go in different directions, although some gadgets are more useful than others. I'm still not seeing much use for the engineer's EOD bot. Yeah, you can arm and disarm MComs, but only if the bot can get there, and then only if nobody notices it. The only benefit to using it is that you don't waste your own life and a respawn and can try again yourself (or use another bot if you have a support nearby to resupply you). Recon gadgets are a different story. One is good (the respawn beacon), but most are only useful in very limited situations and/or remove your already limited firepower from the table to use (like the MAV).

25. Sean Hebein

<-----------RichardSpank - Yeah Buddy

darth_myeek likes this.
  26. Sean Hebein

Anyone playing MW3 on PC? I beat the game last night and I started playing some of the Spec Ops missions. It would be fun to have someone from the RPF on there playing.

For PC players out there, I have a TeamSpeak 3 server that I run that anyone from the RPF can feel free to use. The IP is 184.166.18.98. I like it better than the in game voice personally. If anyone wants to play, I am usually on from about 7:00PM MST to 9:00PM MST or later some nights. I'd be down for MW3, BF3, Left 4 Dead or any other manner of PC gaming. My BF3 name is RichardSpank and if anyone wants my Steam name, just ask.

27. Fennec

Fennec Active Member

I play online, PS3
    Fenneccooper is my PSN
    I am up for spec ops/multiplayer online :)
    Just add me and tell me you are from the RPF

28. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I LOVE the mortar is BF3.

29. Sluis Van Shipyards

Recon is pretty useless so far. I played it enough to unlock the M98, but now I started playing other classes more. They need to up the amount of points for using SOFLAM because no one is using it. Mostly I've done recon and engineer. I'm loving assault so far. I played assault with the M320 and cleaned up on Metro last night.

30. Fettistics

Fettistics New Member

Recon is a sick class on hardcore one hit kill with bolt action xbox gamertag

Mandalorian G

31. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

On PC, recon does not get one-hit kills unless it hits the head. Ever. Even in hardcore.

And it gets negligible points. Recon sucks, basically. It's got its uses, but they're very very limited. I'm currently only bothering occasionally to use it. My real favorite at the moment is playing as a combat medic version of the assault.

32. rustysprattdesigns

rustysprattdesigns Well-Known Member

I started off by preordering BF3 on PS3. I DL'ed the beta and it kept kicking me off of PSN, couldn't even get through one round. I thought it may have been a bad DL, so I tried it again. Nope, same thing. I just didn't want take a chance on paying 60 bucks for something I can only play half of what is intended to be played. May look at getting it preowned later. So I changed my preorder to MW3 and I'm glad I did. The campaign was pretty good in my opinion, and I like what they've done with the multiplayer as well. My GT on PSN is vshore100 if anyone is interested in playing. Let me know if you are from the forums.

33. Chevyh0tr0d

Chevyh0tr0d Well-Known Member

I am currently playing BF3 on PC. Probably will be playin MW3 on my PC too, soon as I get my next paycheck from Target. I am PvtHuds0n on Origin, and xfuk0ffx on steam. Feel free to add me. I am mostly infantry player for BF3 for non HC mode. I tend not to play maps that have anything more then a apc(Grand Baazar, Terran Highway Operation Metro etc). I am a decent medic and shooter if you need revives or heals I am your guy!

34. Sluis Van Shipyards

Have any of you checked out the leaderboards for the PC BF3? The guy at the top has to be a cheater. It says he scores 3,000 some points a minute. I don't know how that would be possible. I've also seen a guy who already had 26 Service Stars for a G36 rifle. I think some of these people must play most of the day and have no real life or something.

35. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Yeah, the underemployed and college kids have the kind of time to get that good and play that much. If you play on servers like Metro 64 player conquest servers, I can see where someone's score per minute would be that high. Especially if you're also part of a clan that works to support you and that you support. 3000 is pretty high, but still.

It doesn't really matter, though. I never really gave a crap about leaderboards. I just play for fun.:thumbsup

36. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Been playing MW3 on the xbox. For the first time I don't really care about the story mode. I'm really enjoying trying to get three stars on all the Spec-Ops missions though. Those are really fun.

John

37. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Im playing MW3 on Xbox. My gamertag is Klavan. Mostly just doing multiplayer as the story mode seems like it doesnt matter if you do anything or not as long as you follow the rest of your team around.

38. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

26 G36 service starts isn't surprising. I've barely touched my M249 and I have 4 service stars. I don't play a lot either. An hour every couple days maybe?

39. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

MW3 - Not at all.

BF3 - PC. My specs actually aren't that different from the OP:

Core i7 2600K @ 3.4GHz (not overclocked... yet)
    ASRock Z68 Mobo
    16GB DDR3
    EVGA GeForce GTX-465 1GB

BF3 at ultramax settings, 1680x1050, runs in the 30s. I could probably easily get into the 60s if I dropped the settings a little, but the game's so pretty! And I suck online anyway, so a higher framerate isn't really going to help me much.

Currently chewing my way through Skyrim. BFG: Big F'in Game.

40. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Nooo, that's actually pretty good. I play maybe an hour or so each day, but I have ONE service star on the M249. But I also play all the classes all the time, so I tend to spread out, and I do a lot more by way of support work than just straight-up killin'.

41. Techkman

Techkman New Member

BF3 on PC

Intel i5 2500K @ 4.0 Ghz (scyte mugen makes it not asplode on me).
    Asrock Z68 extreme 4 mobo
    A Crossfire setup with two HD 6950's (2 gb dirt 3 version).
    16GB DDR3 as well.

At custom (almost everything ultimate sans a few minor things) settings I run at a smooth 60+ fps.
    I love/hate the fact that they merged medic with assault but at least I can now kill effectively and dispense healing at the same time!
    That and I've fallen in love with my F2000.

If anyone wants a match/couple of games with a decent medic/squadmate hit me up on origin (tag is techkman).

42. canusracing

canusracing Member

43. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

Yeah, if I had stuck to my SAW, I'd probably have 10 service stars for it but instead I've been trying to unlock all the attachments on my LMG's. Once I get that, I'll probably stick to the SAW since its a good balance of offense and defense.

44. Sluis Van Shipyards

It might be possible if the guy only played engineer and then only used the G36. I played mostly engineer and recon so I spread out kills through a lot of guns. One I got my recon service start I started playing more assault and support. With assault I can easily see how you can rack up kills way faster. The AEK-971 and F2000 are sweet.

Of course now that I patched my game I can barely connect to any servers...

45. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I only have my M27 and RPK to unlock the attachments/dog tags/service stars for and then I'm moving back to my M249.

I'm pretty happy because I unlocked the mortar medal yesterday and I haven't seen anyone using it.

46. benable

benable Member

MW3 is awesome. But i've found the layout to be similiar to MW2. Only things that really gets me is the knifing, Its almost as bad as black ops lol

47. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I'd be up for that. Feel free to add me. I play as Solo4114. I've been trying to get better co-op going, and amazingly have found that party chat + headphones + open mic works quite well. Some folks have said they have problems, but at least on PC, my experience thus far has been pretty good. I'm trying to unlock the various co-op weapons.

I like the 249 but haven't played enough with the others to really tell. I play all the classes (yes, even Recon), but the one that I'm closest to finishing the unlock tree with is Assault (easiest class to level, IMO). Even then, I'm working up the unlocks on the weapons as well, to try to get a sense for them and to have them to where I can effectively compare them. The comparison of this weapon vs. that weapon when one has a bunch of unlocks and the other doesn't, isn't really all that fair, even when other differences are obvious.

anyway, I like the 249, but mostly because I find it has relatively easy recoil to handle. The others seem to jump all over the place.

Try doing a "Repair Install" from Origin. That's supposed to help stability.

The story of the guy with the G36 could also be aimbot assisted. I had my first experience with that the other night on a Metro 64 player conquest server. Some dude went 170 and 15. I'm sorry, but NOBODY is that good. I think the whole server reported him. It really ruined the game.

As for assault class's weapons, I actually found the M16A3 and A4 to be quite good. Not a huge fan of the AK-74M. The 416 is ok, but strikes me as sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none." I'm starting to dig the KH2002, and the F2000 is beastly in close but I wouldn't get too attached to it. I've heard noise that they may nerf it at some point. The AEK-971 and AN-94 I haven't had a chance to play with enough to comment on.

I've used the mortar, but I find it's only useful in limited situations. If you have a friendly recon with a MAV up, it makes it a LOT easier, but even then, it kinda depends. A lot of my kills have been anti-mortar kills, which is always satisfying. Mortaring, from what I can tell, is like far more obvious sniping (obvious because you show up on the minimap VERY easily).

As for the M27 and RPK...eh. I don't plan on doing much with them until I play with the other support weapons. They seem to be basically just high ammo capacity assault rifles, and are demonstrably worse than the Assault kit's weapons, so...why bother?

Anyone finding any use for the PDWs? I find them to be pretty underwhelming. Most of the time, a shotgun would seem to be far more useful, given the weak range they have.

48. Lando

Lando Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

BF3 on the PS3

49. Kormier

Kormier Well-Known Member

I have both BF3 and MW3 for PS3. Trying to decide which one I will commit to... but that will be once I'm done with Dark Souls.. =)

50. Sluis Van Shipyards

I haven't played any COOP yet so I don't have any of those rifles yet. The F2000 is deadly at any range (well, in range for an assault rifle). I've been using it with the IR scope and you can almost just terrorize any point that you're at. I've only had it for a few days and got a second service star. I'm going to try out the AN-94 and see how it is.